DAFC.net
Home 29 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Hugo Lloris
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 12 Sep 13:28

The World Cup winning captain now has a criminal record and rightly so. Drink driving is at best irresponsible and completely indefensible.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-45482366

I've no quibble with a 20 month driving ban, but a £50,000 fine? You or I would not have received anything like that for an identical offence - apart from driving a Porsche, obviously, which isn't an offence in any case.

The judge took the view that Lloris could easily afford to pay the fine, but being devil's advocate for a minute, is'nt the law supposed to be equal for everyone? And no, I'm not feeling sorry for Lloris. I'm sure he could easily have afforded a taxi home.

Did a bit of envy or jealousy colour M'Lud's judgement, perhaps?

Not your average Sunday League player.

Post Edited (Wed 12 Sep 13:31)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Hugo Lloris
Topic Originator: parforthecourse  
Date:   Wed 12 Sep 13:29

Think a fine can be based on take home pay.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 12 Sep 13:33

''Think a fine can be based on take home pay.''

Is that right and just, though? Fair enough if you were asking people to make a donation to a good cause. You could reasonably ask a rich person to dig a bit deeper into his pockets

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parforthecourse  
Date:   Wed 12 Sep 13:38

Quote:

GG Riva, Wed 12 Sep 13:33

''Think a fine can be based on take home pay.''

Is that right and just, though? Fair enough if you were asking people to make a donation to a good cause. You could reasonably ask a rich person to dig a bit deeper into his pockets

Yes. Fining Loris £200 as might happen to a man in the street would make no financial impact. £50k might make him think. Hats off to the magistrate.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bamba-Daft  
Date:   Wed 12 Sep 13:42

It’s a good thing that it’s means tested. Even the £50k won’t bother him though. If the financial punishment is pointless given his background then why not make it a 5 year driving ban.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Wed 12 Sep 13:42

Yes and quite correct. Wasn't Ant Mcpartland fined a large sum as well to reflect earnings? Maybe if we introduced a percentage tariff for fines based on incomes it would discourage people.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Wed 12 Sep 13:52

Just about to post the same MS. If it was done on a % of disposable income after essential living costs were deducted it would be fairer.

There could be a sliding scale multiplier as well for being further over the limit for progressively more serious cases.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 12 Sep 15:33

I hear what folk are saying but how does that square with the law treating everyone equally? I want to emphasise I'm not in any way sticking up for the Spurs goalie.

Can someone remind me what happened to Wayne Rooney in terms of a fine and ban? Was the same principle applied to him?

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Wed 12 Sep 15:42

Rooney was banned for 2 years fined £170 and given 100 hours community service.

He was given community service as the judge felt that even a large fine wouldn't have the same effect.

I'd bet that lloris would be happier with his larger fine than community service.

Post Edited (Wed 12 Sep 15:44)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Wed 12 Sep 15:44

And Rooney was nearly three times over the limit if I recall

Admin

Post Edited (Wed 12 Sep 15:45)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 12 Sep 15:47

Just yer luck I suppose...
A different judge on a different day might have let Lioris off lighter.
A different judge on a different day might have been tougher on Rooney.

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 12 Sep 16:04

Quote:

widtink, Wed 12 Sep 15:47

Just yer luck I suppose...
A different judge on a different day might have let Lioris off lighter.
A different judge on a different day might have been tougher on Rooney.

Was Rooney driving a Fiesta or similar, Widdy? That wouldn't have got the judge's back up as much as Lloris' Porsche. 😀

I don't think Lloris was treated particularly harshly, but the judge's job is to see that justice is done not to levy a tax on convicted criminals who can afford to pay it. Now if he'd been ordered to pay £50k or more into the fund of the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme, that would make more sense to me.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Wed 12 Sep 16:20

I think the fines are meant to act as both a penalty for breaking the law and to dissuade future infractions so for the penalty to be "fair" it would have to have the same impact (or as close too as possible without being silly) on changing behaviour for both a lower income earner and a higher income earner.

When I was 19 my take home pay after tax was about £900 quid a month. If I'd been hit with a £200 quid fine there's every chance I'd be in a bit of trouble that month and you can be sure I'd be avoiding another fine in the future.

When footballers are earning over 100k a week giving them a £200 fine isn't going to have any impact on changing their behaviour (to be honest 50k probably isn't either) so I think the fine should be relative to both the seriousness of the incident and the earnings of the person involved otherwise it's not much different from the hassle of getting a parking ticket.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Wed 12 Sep 16:26

That's why I liked what the judge decided in the Rooney case. He knew a large fine would have meant nothing to him so he imposed a community service order. Rooneys lawyer asked the judge not to impose this and fine him instead so it's obvious which punishment affected him more and which one he would have rather been given.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: renegade master  
Date:   Wed 12 Sep 17:30

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 12 Sep 17:46

Quote:

renegade master, Wed 12 Sep 17:30

A weeks wages!

Rooney had actually offered to drive the girls beetle home as he believed he thought she was over the limit to drive and he wasn't.

Is that what he told the judge? Obviously believed him, eh? 😃

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Thu 13 Sep 11:41

Ant McPartlin was fined £86k which is Britain's largest ever driving fine-still a drop in the ocean to him though.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG4  
Date:   Thu 13 Sep 11:58

It should be a lifetime ban with zero chance of getting a licence ever again.

Cant stand drink drivers.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 13 Sep 16:21

Quote:

parathletic, Thu 13 Sep 11:41

Ant McPartlin was fined £86k which is Britain's largest ever driving fine-still a drop in the ocean to him though.

I had to Google him as I'd never heard of him.😔

In law, can people who are in the public eye be punished more severely than Joe Bloggs for identical offences, or does this only apply if they are also minted?

I understand and broadly agree that famous folk are often regarded as role models and have a public duty to set a good example to others.

Post Edited (Thu 13 Sep 16:21)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Thu 13 Sep 16:23

I'd assume they can GG. Or there's a bunch of crap defence QCs out there missing something obvious!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 13 Sep 16:54

I had to Google him as I'd never heard of him.😔

I have the same problem... I know collectively they are Ant & Dec.... But i can never remember which one is which.
Apparently they both insured each other a few years back incase anything happens to one of them, as they are a double act.
Or so I read somewhere... 😂

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Thu 13 Sep 19:52

Fines

Fines are the most common type of sentence given. That’s because they are given for lower level crimes that are common such as minor driving offences or theft. The amount is set by the court after considering the seriousness of the offence and how much money the offender can pay. Fines can be given to organisations or companies as well as people.

The maximum fine allowed in a magistrates’ court has generally been £5,000, but for offences committed on or after 12 March 2015 the fines in a magistrates’ court will be unlimited in most cases. In the Crown Court, the fine can be unlimited.

In 2016, 74 per cent of all offenders received a fine, a total of 910,704 offenders.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Thu 13 Sep 20:41

A fine is only a punishment if it means something. So it's absolutely correct to be means tested.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsclub  
Date:   Sun 16 Sep 11:18

Fines now in London at least for any road traffic offence is 65% of your weeks wages this includes speeding,drink drive, and no insurance etc.

Have to agree it’s a good deterrent.

Some see it as a cash cow but the previous fines of £200 for these offences were ridiculous.

Why insure your car if you only get a £200 fine.

My mate got done for doing 40 in a 20 and was fined £1000.

HF05
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Angus_W  
Date:   Sun 16 Sep 17:28

Maybe the Judge had a wedge on Croatia to win?

“.........it ain’t over till the Pars score!”
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Mon 17 Sep 15:22

Stick him in the hoosegow like Tony Adams.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net