DAFC.net
Home 19 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Dame June Whitfield (D)
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Sun 30 Dec 04:30

I felt a bit of melancholy on learning that Dame June Whitfield had passed away at the ripe old age of 93. She was brilliant as the naughty old Gran in Absolutely Fabulous, but for those of us of a certain age, it was her role as the wife in Terry & June that we most remember.

Terry & June was the blandest and most predictable of comedies, but its appeal to people like my dear old Mum was enormous. Everything stopped at home when the show was on, even cooking dinner. All too often, the expected mince and tatties would be shelved and replaced with a couple of slices of cooked ham from the fridge accompanied by "Smash" potatoes as she raced to get to the sitting room to plonk herself down in front of the telly for that half-hour.

As we slurped our overly-watered powdered potato, my Dad, brother and I would hear loud screams of laughter coming from the sitting room.

RIP Dame June... and Mum.

:)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Dame June Whitfield (D)
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 30 Dec 14:16

She had a remarkably long career. I remember listening to her on the radio in the 1950s as Eth, fiancee of Ron Glum, in a programme called 'Take it from Here'.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Thaipar  
Date:   Sun 30 Dec 14:59

Quote:

OzPar, Sun 30 Dec 04:30

I felt a bit of melancholy on learning that Dame June Whitfield had passed away at the ripe old age of 93. She was brilliant as the naughty old Gran in Absolutely Fabulous, but for those of us of a certain age, it was her role as the wife in Terry & June that we most remember.

Terry & June was the blandest and most predictable of comedies, but its appeal to people like my dear old Mum was enormous. Everything stopped at home when the show was on, even cooking dinner. All too often, the expected mince and tatties would be shelved and replaced with a couple of slices of cooked ham from the fridge accompanied by "Smash" potatoes as she raced to get to the sitting room to plonk herself down in front of the telly for that half-hour.

As we slurped our overly-watered powdered potato, my Dad, brother and I would hear loud screams of laughter coming from the sitting room.

RIP Dame June... and Mum.

:)

Am certainly not as old as you oz but fondly remember Terry and June. Absolutely Fabulous was a different era but she was as glamorous as granny..

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Sun 30 Dec 22:04

June Whitfield was the Jim Thomson of UK comedy. She played alongside the greats and never looked out of place.
On her own, she was limited perhaps, but she always played for the team.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net