DAFC.net
Home 29 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Effing technology!
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Thu 20 Aug 03:36

Ten to 15 years ago, the internet and new technology hit its zenith. Apple, Microsoft and software developers around the world were really producing the goods. Pretty much everything new was functional and old buggers like me were very, very happy...

Then these smart dicks in Silicone Valley thought they would add increasingly unnecessary **** - "added functionality" they called it - and they totally effed it up!

At my son's behest, I bought a Garmin smartwatch to monitor my health and a Lenovo smart display so that we could communicate more easily during the lockdown that we have here.

They got delivered yesterday and both items are sitting on my kitchen table utterly unusable. I couldn't get past the set up on either and am now stuck in limbo watching two quite expensive devices repeatedly drop out as I try to get them started.

Old geezers like me shouldn't have to put up with this nonsense. My heart rate would surely be in dangerous levels now if the effing Garmin was able to tell me anything. And my son would be getting a blast from his father if the bloody Lenovo was working.

Ah the pitfalls of getting old...

:(
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Effing technology!
Topic Originator: GG741  
Date:   Thu 20 Aug 06:30

OzPar, I have felt that pain, but how good is it when it just works!

I was given a Samsung smartwatch (which I barely touch in regard to all of its functionalities) that, from the box, just paired with my Samsung mobile and was ready to use within minutes. I play with the settings now and then, but that's it.

Even though I work in the field of 'technology', I am far from being an early adopter. A friend was recently telling me of the problems he was having with his home automation; he couldn't get the lights to turn on or off when he requested it. I couldn't believe his angst when all he needed to do was walk three steps to the wall switch.

On the other hand, I specifically remember a friend from Cable & Wireless taking me into the "computer room" at his work (obviously many years ago) and showing me the "world wide web". We both looked at it and tried to consider what use it could be.
Jump forward to today and I can't get enough of it, to keep me working from home, video chats with the offspring, shopping for deliveries, keeping updated with news and events, watching/listening to live performances, etc. All of those in the last 24 hours.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Thu 20 Aug 07:02

I work on the forefront of modern technology with a number of patents in artificial intelligence.
I also have a Garmin.
You are not an old fart in my opinion 😬
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Thu 20 Aug 08:25

I just get my 14 year old Granddaughter to fix everything for me :)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 20 Aug 09:21

BT sent me an Amazon Echo last year for renewing my broadband with them. It's still in the box.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Thu 20 Aug 09:48

My definition of a Smartwatch is one that keeps good time - the £14.99 Casio does that just fine !!!

Favourite item of modern (?) technology (now long in the tooth) is my iPod - lightning connection, must be 10 years old. Can take my music anywhere, car or holiday etc., thanks to iTunes.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 20 Aug 17:21

I don't think it's about getting old. We had this almost golden era in the 90s where everything effectively consolidated to x86 tech running Microsoft operating systems (we still had others but MS was the big player). This was after having the likes of Commodore, Apple, Acorn etc all being involved.

We then went the opposite way when mobiles became bug by suddenly having loads of different tech and operating systems. Most devices now use Android or iOS but the Android platforms are incredibly fragmented. I've got an Honor phone and a Samsung work phone. They are completely different despite both being Android. How anyone deals with Samsung is beyond me.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RhinoPars  
Date:   Fri 21 Aug 13:00

I recently finally upgraded my old Garmin running watch to a new Garmin one that has a lot of additional functionality. While there was a bit of a learning curve to find out about all its functions, setting it up, and finally downloading music to it - Linking it up to Garmin Connect and Strava was pretty straight forward. I am really enjoying the additional functionality of the new Garmin (including Chest strap for more accurate heart rate readings and other metrics). The Garmin Connect and Strava outputs really useful and motivational.

Maybe you are fondly remembering the past with rose-tinted glasses. I recall having to fiddle around with some things a lot in the past (like dip switches and lots of geeky software settings) to get some things/software to work. Some new things today do plug and play without much effort needed. If anything manuals have got a lot worse today as they now contain very little detail if you get a proper one at all. However today there are often on line videos that can help you out which we didn't have in the past.

Post Edited (Sat 22 Aug 10:02)
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 21 Aug 19:00

Probably is. I suspect my issue now is too much choice. In 1994 you'd have the option of a 486DX2 or DX4. At that point AMD were about as we're a few others but they still made the same product.

Nowadays you have Intel with i3, i5, i7 over different generations plus all the Celereon, Atom and Pentium CPUs. AMD also take a different approach.

Choice is both a good and a bad thing. I'm sure I read it's the reason a lot of successful people wear the same outfit day after day - one less choice.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net