DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 insulation advice/recommendations
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Wed 4 Nov 13:23

hi all,

can anyone recommend someone who could come out and explain our options regarding house insulation please?

we.re in a 1930.s bungalow and it.s freezing in the winter (and our heating bills in this house are way higher than our last house (which was a new build) - i actually don.t think there.s any insulation in the house - but not sure what our options are and how effective each option would be

i know we could reframe each room and install kingspan, but that would really eat into our room size. other options could be cavity wall (but not sure if we have cavity walls) or some form of external cladding???

we.re currently trying to do the house up as it.s long since due a refresh, so seems like a great time to look into insulation at the same time

cheers

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: insulation advice/recommendations
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Wed 4 Nov 23:24

JDB all trades maybe.
On the website. Click Crackers below and search Fife General. 10% discount.
Ill need to tidy up the search categories I recon.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Sat 7 Nov 01:14

Try these DBP

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/free-cavity-loft-insulation/

Or

https://www.homeenergyscotland.org/make-my-home-warmer/?utm_source=frame&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=whs&gclid=Cj0KCQiAhZT9BRDmARIsAN2E-J0Dx1jQKvetZmSLbfnC4lSjyBBmI4dh_pbGSWvZL61EUvBkmAqfiDMaAohuEALw_wcB

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.

Post Edited (Sat 07 Nov 01:17)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Sat 7 Nov 08:56

I would start by speaking to the home energy trust who are Scottish government funded and may be able to provide grants or interest free loans and they are a great resource for research

I had spoken to them about the 6 year interest free loan for an electric car before lockdown which is a great deal - didn’t follow through as don’t need a 2nd car in the new world - so they definitely have a fund so maybe some support for home energy which is their main focus

https://energysavingtrust.org.uk/advice/cavity-wall-insulation/

Post Edited (Sat 07 Nov 09:05)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Highway_Star  
Date:   Thu 12 Nov 15:18

I`ll second that ^^

I had a chat with the EST. The upshot was a complete new central heating system and insulation installed under the floor.

It cost us nothing.

That`s entirely dependant on circumstances, but it was easily the most worthwhile phone call I`ve ever made.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 12 Nov 15:32

I take it for EST it tends to be lower income/older building/older person?

You can tell I'm looking for a new boiler on the cheap 😂
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Fri 13 Nov 14:45

I thought that too jake and believed we wouldn't be eligible due to our total joint income but apparently we are.

Apparently child benefit classes as one of the criteria (not clued up on the benefits system but i was a bit suspect since i thought anyone with a child is entitled to this anyway - or am i mistaken?).

We had a surveyor out last week and did the stuff with the camera to check for wall cavity suitablity so we are pencilled in for that as well as extra loft insulations.

I was very sceptical due to horror stories over the last 'freebie' bandwagon a few years ago with solar panels but i rang the EST as mentioned above and they advised it was all legit and above board so we shall see what happens next.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 13 Nov 16:04

No not every one is able get child benefit, we’ve got three kids and didn’t get it
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Fri 13 Nov 19:11

Everyone below something like 80k gets a child allowance. It's something like £20pw.

Will need to check EST when it comes to looking at boilers.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 14 Nov 11:51

Well I’m not on anything like that but didn’t get anything
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 14 Nov 12:31

It's a sneaky one DBP, you have to apply for it and they don't exactly shout about it from the roof tops. I checked and it's £21pw for a first child, £14pw for a second. If you have kids under 16 then you can probably still get it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: fcda  
Date:   Sat 14 Nov 15:26

Pretty sure, if you have a child under 16 you can claim it. If either parent earns over 50k, you have to pay some of it back in via self assessment tax return. Over 60k and you have to pay all of it back, if you don't stop it altogether.

Odd that it's not based on household income, that would seem fairer.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Sat 14 Nov 16:08

The only other criteria they advised of was proof you actually lived there (current council tax bill) as, apparently, the last time the government did similar it was a bit more lax and the scheme got absolutely rinsed by private landlords using it to kit all their rental properties with new boilers for free.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."

Post Edited (Sat 14 Nov 16:09)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net