DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 MARS PERSEVERANCE
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Tue 23 Feb 00:18

Incredible engineering feat, and the video of the landing is historic. Beats my engineering apprenticeship days in Rosyth knocking out pins with a sledgehammer on the good ship Gooseander.

Post Edited (Tue 23 Feb 13:28)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: MARS PERSEVERANCE
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Tue 23 Feb 04:19

A mooring man eh..
Spent some time on the Goosie myself. She's still on the go too.

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 23 Feb 13:29

Good to hear she is still going. Yes I spent a good 6 months on her when she was in refit, working on the winches and gearboxes
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Fri 26 Feb 01:14

Quote:

Indiapar, Tue 23 Feb 00:18

Incredible engineering feat, and the video of the landing is historic. Beats my engineering apprenticeship days in Rosyth knocking out pins with a sledgehammer on the good ship Gooseander.

Certainly is, but I would be more impressed if they spent the money improving impoverished areas on this planet before we set about fkng up another one.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 26 Feb 10:55

The science from Mars could perceivably lead to benefits to life on Earth though.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jbob  
Date:   Fri 26 Feb 11:24

Thought this was going to be a thread about a battle against chocolate intolerance.

Imagine my disappointment.

Bobs of the world unite
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Feb 15:45

Quote:

jake89, Fri 26 Feb 10:55

The science from Mars could perceivably lead to benefits to life on Earth though.

Lets not solve the current poverty and lack of safe water issues just now then. We can use the money to search other planets for solutions. We might find a miracle cure for something in a few hundred years...

Or we might bring something deadly here.

Who cares if a few thousand kids die every dayby drinking contaminated water. Maybe we will find water on Mars and we csn teleport it to affected areas.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Fri 26 Feb 16:24

Quote:

PARrot, Fri 26 Feb 15:45

Quote:

jake89, Fri 26 Feb 10:55

Lets not solve the current poverty and lack of safe water issues just now then. We can use the money to search other planets for solutions. We might find a miracle cure for something in a few hundred years...

Or we might bring something deadly here.

Who cares if a few thousand kids die every dayby drinking contaminated water. Maybe we will find water on Mars and we csn teleport it to affected areas.

Not sure how we can bring something deadly here if nothing comes back. We're more likely to send something to Mars that could cause issues.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 26 Feb 16:55

This Mars rover mission is the first leg of a more ambitious mission to bring Martian rock and soil samples back to earth. All about having some sort of relaunch module rendezvous with the rover and blast back into orbit where it is docks with a waiting probe and returns to earth. I think the time scale is 2026.anf 2028 for the next two stages to be complete.
As for Parrot I can only assume he has never benefited from using sat nav.

Edited only to capitalise Parrot

Post Edited (Fri 26 Feb 17:19)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Feb 18:10

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Fri 26 Feb 16:55

This Mars rover mission is the first leg of a more ambitious mission to bring Martian rock and soil samples back to earth. All about having some sort of relaunch module rendezvous with the rover and blast back into orbit where it is docks with a waiting probe and returns to earth. I think the time scale is 2026.anf 2028 for the next two stages to be complete.
As for Parrot I can only assume he has never benefited from using sat nav.

Edited only to capitalise Parrot

I have indeed and the whole world has benifitted by the things we can do faster due to sattelites. There are certainly space age things that can help do good on Earth and Im not opposed to them.

Going to the moon and Mars, and sending probes to further planets comes after providing the inhabitants of this world with clean water though.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Fri 26 Feb 18:38

Going to the moon and Mars though brings on technology in many, many sectors which then in turn improves human life.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Feb 19:16

Its a valid point and worthy of debate. I have myself worked in many difficult parts of the world where we have installed ultra filtration plants to provide clean water. These technologies are a direct result of the space industry innovation to provide clean water supplies in space. More holistically you would have to open the debate up to include such things as air pollution, water polution CO2 emissions, deforestation, micro plastics etc etc. to which we all contribute.

Ultimately necessity is the mother of invention so necessity may drive solutions to human issues on this planet.

My post was mainly to credit those involved with this technical and scientific achievement and human first.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Feb 21:10

I get the point but it costs 2K to dig a well, fit a pump and train the local vilkage in maintenance and hygiene.

How many trips to Mars will it take to find the solution we slready have? It just needs investment.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Sat 27 Feb 23:50

People aren't lacking clean water because of the relatively small sum spent on space exploration.

They are lacking clean water because of the relatively massive sum spent on bombing their infrastructure or because of the actual pittance paid by the likes of Coca-Cola and Nestle for water rights for bottling plants, which drain the water table out of the reach of basic wells or, in a few notable cases, make it illegal for people to collect rainwater.

Since we are discussing priorities.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 05:42

Quote:

Wotsit, Sat 27 Feb 23:50

People aren't lacking clean water because of the relatively small sum spent on space exploration.

They are lacking clean water because of the relatively massive sum spent on bombing their infrastructure or because of the actual pittance paid by the likes of Coca-Cola and Nestle for water rights for bottling plants, which drain the water table out of the reach of basic wells or, in a few notable cases, make it illegal for people to collect rainwater.

Since we are discussing priorities.

Both, I mean all.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 09:40

Cost a fraction of the track and trace spreadsheet, value...no?

Carole Baskin fed Rasta to a tiger.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Sun 28 Feb 11:25

The solar power benefits brought be space exploration will have, on their own, provided clean water to more communities than any well-intentioned digging project.

The communications breakthroughs that were made by scientists who were paid to send signals to and from Mars will have helped with the low power long distance data systems which are necessary to maintain and monitor water infrastructure in poor and/or remote areas.

Materials science used to develop fabrics, plastics and other materials which can survive harsh environments or work reliably without supervision which, again, makes it far easier to maintain infrastructure under less than ideal circumstances.

Having electricity available to run infrastructure is a better, more sustainable, fix than digging a hole and hoping it stays clean forever.

Also, space is where the stuff is. This wee rock is lovely and all but there`s so much more out there to find out and so much more perspective to acquire.

The Pale Blue Dot

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 4 Mar 18:33

I would agree that access to clean water is a major public health issue in many third world countries. Unfortunately it is not just a case of digging a well and installing a pump. Hydrology data is needed to identify a viable source and at what depth. You also have to consider the condition of the water. Analysis is needed to ensure it is free of naturally ocurring contaminants such as arsenic, cadmium etc. You then have to consider treatment trains such as softening, removing odours, removing contaminants, bacteria and viruses. You then have consider chlorinating the supply, then a regime of ongoing testing to ensure it remains potable. You then have to maintain the equipment. You might get 3 to 5 years from a borehole pump then you need to replace it. Capital outlay is often the smallest cost the maintenance and operating costs are far higher. Its the iceberg effect i.e what you see above the water is a fraction of what is below.

Post Edited (Thu 04 Mar 18:36)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net