DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Supermarket Trolleys
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 29 Mar 07:21

One of my pet hates is abandoned supermarket trolleys. Anyone walking or cycling alongside the Lyne burn will often see as many as a dozen which have ended up in it. I used to think it must be bored kids, with nothing better to do, but have recently seen several examples of adults using trolleys to take their shopping home.

Saturday morning really took the biscuit, however. Out for my morning jog, heading down Masterton Rd towards the crem around 8.10, I overtook a guy with snow white hair and matching beard, pushing a full ASDA trolley (green handle.) He must have walked from the Halbeath store since the other one opens at 8 am.

I think I`m turning into a real life Victor Meldrew, except that I don`t have a go at these people.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Supermarket Trolleys
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Mon 29 Mar 08:27

"I think I`m turning into a real life Victor Meldrew"

Hey G.G. thats ma job !! :)

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: aaaaaaaaaargh  
Date:   Mon 29 Mar 08:43

The guy is probably 100 years old and he managed to push a full trolley from Halbeath to Masterton Road. I say well done to him.

He has also got himself a cheap present to give to the grandkids once he removes his shopping.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 29 Mar 10:44

It's people without cars saving the cost of a taxi. Go up to Halbeath itself and it's filled with ASDA trolleys. People just dump them rather than take them back on their next trip.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 29 Mar 11:42

I wonder why the major supermarkets abandoned the coin operated trolleys? I'd be in favour of bringing them back and maybe use a £2 coin instead of £1. That might deter folk from taking them home.

Talking of trolleys in the Lyne burn, way back when we had a Fine Fare on the ASDA St Leonard's site, their trolleys formed a barrier which collected assorted debris, forming a dam. The burn overflowed and flooded nearby houses in old Brucefield. As a result of that, it was decided to re-route the burn, at a reported final cost of £25m. (In 2001, the estimate was £3.4m)

It would have been far cheaper to pay someone to clean the burn up 3 or 4 times a year.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 29 Mar 12:23

ASDA Chesser in Edinburgh used to be coins. No idea why they don't do it in Dunfermline for ASDA and Tesco. Aldi do and it's rare you see an abandoned Aldi trolley. I realise some people are hard-up but at least take it back when you're done.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Mon 29 Mar 14:26

I though some supermarkets had the trollies that the wheels lock if they're taken outwith the car park?

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Mon 29 Mar 14:49

Quote:

widtink, Mon 29 Mar 14:26

I though some supermarkets had the trollies that the wheels lock if they're taken outwith the car park?

The Asda in Livingston used to have these.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Mon 29 Mar 15:57

was walking the dog near the area you mention GG and 2 young girls 8/9 year old were pushing small tesco trolley towards me, I stopped to clean up after the dog and could hear the girls saying what their excuse was going to be if they were asked why they had the trolley.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 29 Mar 16:27

I know there was a guy with a van that used to collect all the wayward trollies and return them to the supermarkets... Maybe that doesn't happen any more in these apocalyptic covid times 🤔

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 29 Mar 16:48

Quote:

jake89, Mon 29 Mar 12:23

ASDA Chesser in Edinburgh used to be coins. No idea why they don't do it in Dunfermline for ASDA and Tesco. Aldi do and it's rare you see an abandoned Aldi trolley. I realise some people are hard-up but at least take it back when you're done.

Both ASDA and Tesco used to have coin operated trolleys in their Dunfermline stores, but removed them. I think Tesco now have the locking wheels which Jeffrey alludes to.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars_1986  
Date:   Mon 29 Mar 20:19

If you see any trolleys abandoned your better to phone up asda halbeath and report it like wise with the wee asda. Its then once the trolleys are reported they normally send someone to pick it up
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Mon 29 Mar 21:11

These people, are just ,lazy, waste of space scum.There,I have said the truth.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 29 Mar 21:25

Woof... Shots fired 🤣

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 29 Mar 22:53

[Post Deleted] - swearing.
Your very last word let you down.
Swearing will not be tolerated on this site.
Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc  
Date:   Tue 30 Mar 13:40

Has to be supermarkets being responsible. charging for using them would be good start. Or it can be council fining them for any being dumped which will quickly sort it the problem too.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Tue 30 Mar 14:08

There is a van ,goes around collecting them ,I think it's a private contractor.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 30 Mar 14:15

Quote:

jake89, Mon 29 Mar 22:53

Admin

I demand an enquiry. I was, of course, using the American meaning for the word. So I was calling them bums, honest 😂
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 30 Mar 14:16

Quote:

saltonsgonagetu, Tue 30 Mar 14:08

There is a van ,goes around collecting them ,I think it's a private contractor.

I think they rely on people reporting them rather than being proactive. There's been two sat on the road between the college and Halbeath for ages. That or the same people dump them in the same places! Maybe Halbeath Community Council needs to fundraise to buy these people tartan trolley bags.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 30 Mar 16:20

Quote:

jake89, Tue 30 Mar 14:15

Quote:

jake89, Mon 29 Mar 22:53

Admin

I demand an enquiry. I was, of course, using the American meaning for the word. So I was calling them bums, honest 😂

You make a fine argument sir ....
Naw... Ye don't... I lied.
Pitiful min.
Go sit in the corner and think about what you've done 🤣

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 30 Mar 16:32

This problem of folk absconding with trollies can be easily fixed....
Big massive elastic bands all fixed to the trollies and back to a central point in the car park... The bands will only stretch as far as the perimeter of the car park and the far corner inside the store.
With the added bonus that you take the trolly to your car, load your shopping into your vehicle... Then ye just let the trolly go.. Hey presto, it pings back to the central point where aw the trollies are.
And it'll add hilarity to the whole shopping in store experience as folk will forget the elastic band is stretched, let go of their trolly to grab a quiche from the freezer, and have to run like the clappers to catch the trolly again before it finds its way back outside.
It would be carnage... Hilarious... But carnage.
Now Where's my application for dragons den?
And how much are huge elastic bands? 🤔

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Tue 30 Mar 16:37

That made me laugh widtink :)

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net