DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Neuralgia Parethesia
Topic Originator: Jbob  
Date:   Sat 24 Apr 16:22

Anyone else got this?
V painful.

Strong painkillers make it tolerable but holy moly

Bobs of the world unite
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Neuralgia Parethesia
Topic Originator: parforthecourse  
Date:   Sat 24 Apr 21:28

Nerve pain can be an utterly miserable thing. Are there any specific exercises which can help, or is it too painful to move?

I had a bulging disc which was hitting my sciatic nerve. Pain down through my hip, back of the leg, extending to numb toes. Mine reacted well to painkillers, but I didn't feel I could do that forever.

Physio didn't help at all, but in my final physio session, the lady suggested trying a cross trainer. I joined pure gym, and within a few weeks, I was 90% better. All in all, it took about a year from the initial injury to being out of pain.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Mon 26 Apr 16:52

Nerve pain is like something else entirely - like parforthecourse I had a herniated disc impinging a nerve. The only way I can describe the pain it was like having a torn hamstring, a twisted knee a broken ankle, and broken toes. All at once. Horrendous.

Painkillers did nothing for me, not even tramadol - but physio did. It took time and discipline (over 3 months) but eventually the disc healed and I`m mostly pain free now, although, even though, 3 years later it still flares up.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: fcda  
Date:   Mon 26 Apr 19:22

Following this thread with interest. I've had a problem with my lower back for a few years now. It seems to also cause occasional pain in the groin and something that feels like a hamstring pull.

Fortunately it's relatively minor, but enough to stop me playing sports and limiting exercise.

I went to a physio for a while which didn't help. They suggested getting referred for a scan and possible surgery.

I had an MRI scan and the surgeon couldn't see a problem so suggested a speculative spinal injection, based on what he thought it was. It made no difference of course and in his report he suggested it was therefore psychological. Aye right.

I've more or less given up on getting it fixed and just don't play sport or exercise much 🙁
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 26 Apr 19:41

Have you tried anti-inflammatory drugs or turmeric supplements?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parfect68  
Date:   Mon 26 Apr 20:02

Quote:

fcda, Mon 26 Apr 19:22

Following this thread with interest. I've had a problem with my lower back for a few years now. It seems to also cause occasional pain in the groin and something that feels like a hamstring pull.

Fortunately it's relatively minor, but enough to stop me playing sports and limiting exercise.

I went to a physio for a while which didn't help. They suggested getting referred for a scan and possible surgery.

I had an MRI scan and the surgeon couldn't see a problem so suggested a speculative spinal injection, based on what he thought it was. It made no difference of course and in his report he suggested it was therefore psychological. Aye right.

I've more or less given up on getting it fixed and just don't play sport or exercise much 🙁

FCDA, really sorry to read how much it has impacted you and stopped you doing the things you enjoy. Pain Management is my area of expertise, particularly in long term pain. It's a shame the messaging from the surgeon wasn't helpful either, pain is felt in the brain but it doesn't mean you're imagining it or making it up. In persistent or chronic pain it can sometimes be finding ways to manage it but still achieve good quality of life and do meaningful activities that you enjoy rather than achieving an absolute fix. Can I recommend a couple of you tube videos https://youtu.be/jIwn9rC3rOI and https://youtu.be/ZUXPqphwp2U, have a nosey at https://www.flippinpain.co.uk/ and find a physio that understands chronic pain or consider asking for referral to Fife Pain Management Service
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Mon 26 Apr 20:24

I should add that I had two cortisone injections too - they did nothing either (bar temporarily getting rid of my psoriasis).

I can only got from my own experience, but if it`s a lower back issue causing sciatic pain the best thing you can do is stretch your back and keep it moving.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net