DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 You couldn`t make this up ?
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Thu 3 Jun 12:25

Pat and Mick, the builders - contracted to install bollards outside a bar in Dublin to stop parking in front of the premises.

I wonder which one will take the blame after the tidy up and home time !!!

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: You couldn`t make this up ?
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Thu 3 Jun 12:37

I would imagine at least one of the bollards is removable and is able to be locked and unlocked and taken out of place
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Thu 3 Jun 13:31

Quote:

red-star-par, Thu 3 Jun 12:37

I would imagine at least one of the bollards is removable and is able to be locked and unlocked and taken out of place

Spoilsport lol.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Alf  
Date:   Thu 3 Jun 13:40

It's outside an office block in Manchester, from 2008
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Thu 3 Jun 16:44

Quote:

veteraneastender, Thu 3 Jun 12:25

Pat and Mick, the builders - contracted to install bollards outside a bar in Dublin to stop parking in front of the premises.

What is this anti Irish racist p@sh.
This happened in Quay Street, Manchester
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 3 Jun 16:49

In fairness, there's various versions of this story. A bit like the one about the lighthouse being told to change its bearings by a US battleship.

The true story is it happened in Manchester as SIF suggests. The bollards also unscrew.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bamba-Daft  
Date:   Fri 4 Jun 02:13

Quote:

sadindiefreak, Thu 03 Jun 16:44

Quote:

veteraneastender, Thu 3 Jun 12:25

What is this anti Irish racist p@sh.
This happened in Quay Street, Manchester

Gie yersel a hoover mr I’m offended by everything
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 4 Jun 08:18

My first thought was a photoshop job.

As for the anti Irish sentiment..................5 great grandparents and 1 grandparent came from "across the water" !!!

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Fri 4 Jun 09:00

Quote:

veteraneastender, Fri 4 Jun 08:18

My first thought was a photoshop job.

As for the anti Irish sentiment..................5 great grandparents and 1 grandparent came from "across the water" !!!

You should know that there is an issue with stereotyping Irish people as being thick then.
Perhaps you saw it online and it claimed to be from Dublin so the anti Irish sentiment was not yours. But whoever first said it was Dublin did so for that very reason.

Would exploiting a stereotype of another ethnic minority like Jews or Muslims be acceptable?
If not then why is it ok to portray Irish people as thick so somehow inferior to us?

I'm not "offended" by this. I'm not Irish, have no Irish background so why would I be offended? I will call out something as being wrong when I see it though.

I'm 100% sure there was no intent on your part VEE but hopefully you can at least see where I'm coming from, even if you don't agree.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Fri 4 Jun 09:04

Oh, enough of this woke *****...

Did you hear the one about the Scotsman, the Englishman, and the Irishman who meet a Jew in a pub...???

:)

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 4 Jun 12:28

"You should know that there is an issue with stereotyping Irish people as being thick then."

I`ve heard that Mrs. Brown`s Boys is very popular in Ireland.

Maybe they are not as easily offended as you appear to assume ?

Possibly because the source of Irish jokes often originate there ?

Anyway, a true story - we were in Dublin on a Bank Holiday weekend a few years ago and fancied the Irish Rail tour to the Vale of Avoca where Ballykissangel was filmed.

I called the booking number and the official who answered advised that there were no excursions that day.

When I asked why, he told me the office was closed Bank Holiday Monday - and that he only came into work to answer the `phone and advise callers of that.

Post Edited (Fri 04 Jun 12:29)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 4 Jun 12:40

You can laugh at yourself but not have others laugh at you.

I don't get offended but I do find some stereotypes tiresome. For example, list of things I heard from an English guy who was working with us:

"I'm going to get one of those deep fried Mars bars you guys love" (not one of us had ever tried one)

"The salad I ordered had fried chicken and so much dressing. That's why you Scots die young" (meal was in a well known English chain and it's the same salad in all of them)

"I got a pie and it had loads of salt on top. You guys are so bad" (it was flour, not salt)

I also had a friend of a friend up who was very quiet the whole evening as he was worried he would get beaten up due to his English accent.

Interestingly, there was a map I saw about what nations each one jokes about the most. The UK was just the UK but we joke most about the Irish and the Irish joke most about us (UK). Most places it was the neighbouring country, but there was somewhere like Romania where they joke most about Scots!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Fri 4 Jun 13:02

My wife (who’s Irish) was telling me she was on a recent call (with the senior managers from the dept) where someone said something that didn’t initially make sense and the response from the panel was, “That sounds a bit Irish”

Now my wife didn’t take offence, and I don’t believe for one second the manager in question is anti Irish... but still not great and also gives licence to others to start making similar jokes/jibes
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 4 Jun 18:34

Do people still say that? I've not heard it since I was wee!

I saw a stand up act (not live) recently where one joke was "Scots love to batter things - fish, Mars bars, their wives...". An episode of old Top Gear would include countless stereotypes. No-one was really offended.

For me the issue comes when people believe these stereotypes to be true and the "banter" is actually bullying.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net