DAFC.net
Home 29 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Fit to Fly Tests
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 14 Jul 08:00

Mrs Riva and I are planning to fly to Italy for a family visit, rather than a traditional holiday. Her mum and dad are a good age and in fragile health and we haven`t seen them since last summer.

Before flying, we will be required to produce a negative Covid test, of course. Italy is one of the few countries accepting a lateral flow antigen test, which is a bit cheaper than the standard PCR test. In both cases, there`s quite a difference in the costs, depending on where you get it done.

For the antigen test, Dears Pharmacy in Dunfermline charge £69, Edinburgh airport £50, Heathrow and Birmingham (same company as Edinburgh) charge £35.

It`s a similar story for our return, when the UK requires PCR tests. £119 for Dears, £80 for Edinburgh and £40 in England.

I can`t help wondering how it can be justifiable to charge such vastly different prices for the same procedure, in different parts of the UK. A legal challenge might be interesting.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Fit to Fly Tests
Topic Originator: SeasonedPar  
Date:   Wed 14 Jul 08:53

We’re already in Crete, very happy we now don’t need to quarantine on return.

Do you need the Vaccination Status Form to fly to Italy? We also needed to do a Passenger Locator Form for Greek authorities. Another Brexit bonus.

We will need the PCR tests before we fly back and 2 days after we return.

Thanks for sharing. PCR test from the local doc will cost E80 each.

While we’re sure the NHS shouldn’t pay for our return tests, someone’s mKing a fortune! Beware of privatising it!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kechal7  
Date:   Wed 14 Jul 09:31

The day 2 test when you come back has to be through the government`s provider costing £88 when there are cheaper options available. In the rest of the UK you can go to anyone so long as it is the correct one..

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Wed 14 Jul 10:39

Quote:

kechal7, Wed 14 Jul 09:31

The day 2 test when you come back has to be through the government`s provider costing £88 when there are cheaper options available. In the rest of the UK you can go to anyone so long as it is the correct one..

The transport secretary was insisting in an interview the other day that there was a list of approved providers on the government website. He said the lowest cost was around £30 to £35.
Might be worth checking that out.
Bear in mind it was a Tory saying this so it's most likely not true but certainly worth checking if it might save you a few quid.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Wed 14 Jul 11:31

I ordered Antigen tests from the NHS website for free. I did this before travelling to the islands. Is this not permissible?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kechal7  
Date:   Wed 14 Jul 12:16

So for going out and coming back you can arrange your own. However for the day 2 test, you have to book in through the .gov website and you need the code for your arrival form when you come back. £88 is a rip off as it`s the exact same test you can get for £35 for other parts of your journey!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Wed 14 Jul 14:37

I get that GG`s reasons are for family visits but I can`t understand why some would put themselves through this hassle and extra expense for a holiday.
A holiday is meant to be relaxing?

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Wed 14 Jul 17:06

I'm with you on that one RTL.

That is ridiculous GG, I thought the cost of living was meant higher down south.

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Wed 14 Jul 18:39

Balearics moved to amber!!

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: davepars  
Date:   Wed 14 Jul 18:57

I understand you can`t use the tests provided by free from the government.....what I can`t understand is WHY you can`t us the tests provided free by the government.

It`s a joke really......bot that I`m going anywhere soon or even planning to.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Wed 14 Jul 19:12

Quote:

davepars, Wed 14 Jul 18:57

I understand you can`t use the tests provided by free from the government.....what I can`t understand is WHY you can`t us the tests provided free by the government.

It`s a joke really......bot that I`m going anywhere soon or even planning to.

I guess the reason you can't use the free tests, is because people won't make money out of it. A handful of people are making a lot of money out of covid
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Wed 14 Jul 19:16

"I guess the reason you can`t use the free tests, is because people won`t make money out of it. A handful of people are making a lot of money out of covid"

5.4 million people red-star

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Wed 14 Jul 21:53

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Wed 14 Jul 18:39

Balearics moved to amber!!

So the only inconvenience after Tuesday's changes is that you need to PCR 48 hours before you fly home and PCR on day 2 when you get back? No need to isolate if you've had both jags.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 15 Jul 06:09

Thanks for all the replies.

Italy treating all visitors alike - vaccinated and non, SP.

Free NHS tests not accepted for travel out with UK, Parsmad. Red Star explains why. :-(

Davepars - A pal of mine went to Wembley for the Spain-Italy semi-final. He asked NHS for the free test, they sent it out to him, he called them back and told them it was negative and they sent him the QR code. Can you spot a wee flaw in this process?

Da. no. 1, That`s my understanding of it, too. Effectively it disadvantages all those who have not yet been offered 2 doses of the vaccine and those who have, but decided against coming forward for it.

I asked in Dear`s Pharmacy in High St about test costs and told the manageress that it was a money making racket. She agreed but added "We`re doing very well out of it though." Oh, that`s alright then.

I should have added that her pharmacy is well named.....

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 16 Aug 19:38

Just back from visiting very elderly relatives in Italy. Before flying, my wife and I took a test at the local pharmacy, for €15 each. This included Fit to Fly Certificates.

We were also obliged to complete Passenger Locator forms and book a DIY PCR test with Quarantine Hotel to be completed on Day 2 after arriving in Scotland. Cost £88 each!

How can this be justified as anything other than a grand, money making scheme or, more bluntly, legalised theft? Even more galling, we have to send them to Milton Keynes. Could any monies made from this scheme not have at least stayed in Scotland?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: handballpenaltyshootbenditgoal  
Date:   Mon 16 Aug 20:13

NHS Scotland paper vaccination certificate. This is a disaster. Cannot get a QR code to access french restaurants, malls, campsites etc. Campsite cannot commit to accepting scotlands proof. Ferry company, scottish gov website won`t answer emails. Why can`t we be given a QR code at border control ? Booked and paid deposits for 2 holidays in 2020 for 2021. Had to cancel in June 2021, due to go 21st August 2021 but due to the need for French health pass and Scottish government`s lack of foresight I am going to cancel the ferry and campsite potentially losing hundreds of £s. The French are rioting about this for their liberty but scottish government have affected their citizens liberty when our better together neighbours in England have no such issues. It certainly feels like we are independent.....

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: auldpar  
Date:   Tue 17 Aug 11:19

Sorry - posted something in error.

Post Edited (Tue 17 Aug 11:26)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Tue 17 Aug 12:11

The day 2 prices have now dropped, someone still lining their pockets though!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Tue 17 Aug 16:11

I went to grand prix this year Silverstone and the paper certificate was fine there

Realise it's not the same but it could be accepted, but is some places are refusing to accept it
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 17 Aug 17:01

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Tue 17 Aug 12:11

The day 2 prices have now dropped, someone still lining their pockets though!

Only because Watchdog finally got off its @rse and obliged these rip off merchants to lower their prices. (I booked and paid for my day 2 tests the day before they dropped their price from £88 to £68 pp - not that I'm bitter. 😭)

Mrs Riva and I also got emails from ScotGov when we got home, advising us that it was a legal requirement to undertake a PCR test and if we hadn't already booked one we must do so immediately. I opened the link to the Quarantine Hotel testing company to see that they were asking for £134 pp in BIG RED LETTERS..... 😨

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: shrek par  
Date:   Tue 17 Aug 22:02

My lad had to get one before he went to sea for 3 months for work. £99 he had to fly to shetland to join his ship from Glasgow and the lassie at the desk was getting arsey it wasn"t a fit to fly until i stepped in and told them it had been done by the guys at edinburgh airport and was valid for both. Total rip off. Think he's still waiting for it to get reimbursed too.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net