DAFC.net
Home 29 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Yorkshire Cricket
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Thu 18 Nov 21:17

This from Aunty .. there is something not quite right about this whole sorry episode :-

Azeem Rafiq has apologised and said he is "deeply ashamed" for using anti-Semitic language in Facebook messages from 2011.

Former spinner Rafiq has spoken of his experiences of racism at Yorkshire and appeared at a Digital, Culture, Media and Sport select committee this week.

The 30-year-old said he had "absolutely no excuses" for the messages.

"I am incredibly angry at myself and apologise to the Jewish community," he said in a statement.

Rafiq also later apologised on Thursday for an Instagram meme containing a saying relating to African people.

He said posting this "was a matter of stupidity but the harm is the same as overt racism so that is no excuse".

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Yorkshire Cricket
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Thu 18 Nov 22:04

I think the thing that's not right is the entire culture at Yorkshire CC, which has caused misery for this poor guy who has been brave enough to speak up and stick to his guns despite a concerted effort to discredit him.

The revelation of anti-Jewish language, in an exchange he had when he was 19, is clearly something someone's been sitting on to try and discredit him or attain revenge.

I don't think it will work though. Yorkshire was/is toxic - that's not going to be glossed over because Rafiq said something regrettable when he was a teenager.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 19 Nov 08:11

There was also some sort of incident four years ago with sharing an offensive, probably racist, meme with a fellow cricketer. Credit to Rafiq though as he has totally owned his indiscretions and seems to have sincerely apologised unreservedly. Leaders from Jewish groups have accepted his apologies in the belief that his own experiences of racism will have taught him valuable lessons on the damage expressing such views can cause to individuals.
I don`t think anyone has been sitting on this per say. These tweets and posts were publicly available to view I assume if anyone wanted to trawl back that far. The fact he wasn`t pulled up for it at the time speaks volumes in itself about societal racism.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Fri 19 Nov 19:17

The cynic in me suggests that these contrite sentiments come to the fore when the perpetrator has been found out and exposed.

Sorry after the event etc.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net