DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Scam Email
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 28 Feb 08:38

I`m having some work done by a local company. I`ve had a number of communications with one of its directors. On Friday, I received a suspicious looking email with his address, asking me to pay the balance by bank transfer to a new bank account* because their one was being investigated and had been paused. I checked this out with another director of the company and he confirmed it was a scam.

I`ve replied to the email in the hope that the scammer will send me bank account details so I can pass them on to the police. Am I right in thinking it`s not my email that`s been hacked or should I change all my pass words as a precaution anyway?

*details to be sent

Not your average Sunday League player.

Post Edited (Mon 28 Feb 08:39)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Scam Email
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Mon 28 Feb 09:18

If you have already been in email communication with this director previously then it is either yours or his account that has been compromised. I would be changing my password to be on the safe side but first run an anti virus check and then again after the password change.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 28 Feb 10:07

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Mon 28 Feb 09:18

If you have already been in email communication with this director previously then it is either yours or his account that has been compromised. I would be changing my password to be on the safe side but first run an anti virus check and then again after the password change.

The director has been in touch to say his account has been hacked. The scammer also sent me his bank details, asking me to make the payment today. It`s the Monzo Bank, apparently. Is that for Bonzos? 🤔 I`ll be passing these on to the Police. The scammer couldn`t even spell his name (Michael) correctly. 😃

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Mon 28 Feb 11:26

NEVER settle by bank transfer unless you trust the other party 100%.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 28 Feb 14:44

An interesting development. The company asked me to forward the scam emails to them. The first one has disappeared from my mailbox and I`m 100% certain I didn`t delete it. It may be connected to the fact that I replied to it, to string them along and get the scammers bank details. These duly arrived this morning. I forwarded it to the company and they`ve involved the police. I`d be surprised if they did. These guys are devilishly smart.

I wonder how they managed to delete their original email? I fully expect the second one to follow suit.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dave67  
Date:   Mon 28 Feb 20:18

Look through your sent emails GG. You`ll probably find it there

Let`s try making it till Christmas
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: brian  
Date:   Mon 28 Feb 22:38

I`d be sure to do a virus scan on your own PC.
Is there a way to track your mailbox. Is there an online webmail you can access to see if you can spot anything there

Just shows you really can`t trust anything these days there are so many scams on the go.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 1 Mar 19:02

Quote:

dave67, Mon 28 Feb 20:18

Look through your sent emails GG. You`ll probably find it there

Not there, Dave. Checked that yesterday. I copied and pasted the second email and sent it to the company I`m dealing with, so I`ve still got that.

Will do a virus scan, Brian. Thanks.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net