DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Wood pigeons
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 2 Jun 19:51

If only they would live up to their name and stick to the frigging woods.

My neighbourhood is hoaching with them. They start calling to one another before 4 am making it impossible to get back to sleep once they`ve woken you up. And then there are their droppings. There`s not a lamp post which doesn`t double as a roost as the goo underneath testifies. It`s especially sticky after a rain shower, too.

I know they have as much right to live on this earth as we do but their population seems to be increasing exponentially. They seem to have very few natural predators. I lived on a farm as a kid and many hunters used to come regularly to shoot them. The butcher in the High St (Douglas Scott) used to sell them along with rabbits, but I don`t think anyone would buy them now.

Any ideas as to how I can scare them away and get a bit of peace?

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Wood pigeons
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Thu 2 Jun 20:11

Dress as an angry hawk?
https://www.greatmascot.com/majestic-hawk-mascot-costume?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn4Wi7ruP-AIV0-3tCh190QbwEAQYAiABEgK6SPD_BwE

Post Edited (Thu 02 Jun 20:13)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Thu 2 Jun 20:12

Petrol & matches?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Thu 2 Jun 20:26

They have adapted well G.G. When I was a Laddie back in the day you would not get within 500 yards of a cushie .. Now I can walk within 2 feet and they don`t fly away .. We have the same problem here .. we feed them and the 2 residents chase all others away .. which is a bonus .. we feed all the wee birds as well .. Enjoy them they are beautiful birds

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tad Allagash  
Date:   Fri 3 Jun 08:39

Put a cat amongst the pigeons?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Fri 3 Jun 13:14

Busppasspar, the road is quiet my way and the pigeons waddle along it mostly undisturbed. I’ve had to stop the car two feet away and shoo them off because they won’t budge. Not sure if it’s their eyesight or stupidity.
I am also blessed by a horny male who chases tail relentlessly..

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dave67  
Date:   Fri 3 Jun 17:56

Well GG you could always invest on a set of ladders. Go out when it`s late at night. Get yourself perched on one of the lampposts(mind get someone to support the ladders for you. Health and safety) So when one of those pesky pigeons try to land there. You can tell it to bog off. Do this for a few weeks. They`ll soon get the message

Let`s try making it till Christmas
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net