DAFC.net
Home 18 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 IDIOTS ON BEN NEVIS.
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Mon 15 Aug 22:47

Just read a report,that at the weekend, a couple had to have their dog rescued, because it refused to move because of exhaustion.For gods sake,have the people no brains.I would have fined them and charged,them with animal cruelty, as well as billing them for the dogs rescue .Who the hell takes their dog,in a heat wave, up Britain`s highest mountain, unbelievable.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: IDIOTS ON BEN NEVIS.
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Mon 15 Aug 23:13

I`d take the dog off them.
People are idiots.

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Sat 20 Aug 08:09

The dog didn’t have heat stroke, it had cuts on It’s paws…

Just speaking to mountain rescue guy prior to doing Ben Nevis myself

They were another 4 call outs that day for people with heat stroke

Post Edited (Sat 20 Aug 08:11)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 20 Aug 13:24

Heat stroke,or damage to paws,no way should that dog been walking on that mountain in that heat.Utter stupidity .Some people should never own a dog.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sat 20 Aug 16:37

Quote:

twin par, Sat 20 Aug 13:24

Heat stroke,or damage to paws,no way should that dog been walking on that mountain in that heat.Utter stupidity .Some people should never own a dog.

A bit much Mountain Rescue Team being expected to risk themselves over a dog, in any circumstances.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sat 20 Aug 19:16

These fkn eedjits need to be made to put a fur coat on and stand in a sauna .. also pay for the rescue .. irresponsible half wits

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 20 Aug 19:55

^^^^🤣🤣Agree totally!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Sat 20 Aug 20:03

Quote:

veteraneastender, Sat 20 Aug 16:37

Quote:

twin par, Sat 20 Aug 13:24

A bit much Mountain Rescue Team being expected to risk themselves over a dog, in any circumstances.

I agree, should have told those idiots to either carry the dog down, or put the dog down if it was in such a bad way and make their way down. It`s a bit much to rish human life for a dog
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Sat 20 Aug 20:39

Wouldn`t have put the dog down,the owners,aye !😅

Post Edited (Sat 20 Aug 20:40)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tad Allagash  
Date:   Sat 20 Aug 20:58

Fair play to Lochaber Mountain Rescue though for rescuing the dog. Hopefully they’ll get some more donations as a result of the publicity for this.

The dog is the innocent victim here, and the dog would no doubt risk its life to save a human.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 20 Aug 21:21

They would always rescue a dog,no matter what.As a dog owner,and I know,I keep going on about it,is why even consider taking,the dog,for a walk in that heat,never mind a mountain, really? I have a lovely labrador, why the hell would I even consider taking her ,up a mountain on a scorching hot day.That is just so bloody stupid.

Post Edited (Sat 20 Aug 22:52)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Sun 21 Aug 12:22

Put the dog down? Away and shyte, poor thing did nothing wrong. Put down it`s bloody owners.

Ep.14 of East End Tales is out now- The Draft

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/14182410
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Aug 14:15

Quote:

EastEndTales, Sun 21 Aug 12:22

Put the dog down? Away and shyte, poor thing did nothing wrong. Put down it`s bloody owners.

That’s not what was said…….only if unavoidable.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Aug 15:32

All I’m saying is that before you all sharpen your pitch forks, the thing you’re all getting so angry about didn’t happen.

Not to that dog or any of the other 10-30 dogs that go up Ben Nevis every day.

The biggest problem with dogs going up Ben Nevis is even if they’re fit enough, they’re often not used to walking on stone for such a long time and it hurts their pads.
All the dogs I saw were with the more ‘serious’ walkers who all had the right equipment jackets, cooling stuff, water, food etc and managed the temperature and effort for themselves and their animal (we went from blistering sunshine to heavy rain and freezing cold and then back again (obviously the temperatures we have in the garden aren’t the same as you get at over 1300m up)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG4  
Date:   Mon 22 Aug 15:58

Fishing much lately RSP? 😏

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 22 Aug 16:45

RSP is going a bit far, but I see what they`re saying. Owners need to take responsibility.

I wouldn`t want to deter people from seeking help, but is there not a charge where the rescue is as a result of utter stupidity?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 22 Aug 18:22

No charge by Mountain Rescue……..AFAIK.

RSP`s point is valid - people should take responsibility for their actions if they take a dog into a hazardous environment.

Post Edited (Mon 22 Aug 18:42)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Mon 22 Aug 19:38

Any responsible dog owner knows the danger of taking their dog out in extreme heat .. I have a chocolate Lab and will not take her out apart from early morning and cooler evening when the temp is above 23 .. The heat could could kill her ..
She is an old girl .. I also get the lets take our dog up the mountain with us bit and I realise the temp gets cooler the further up you go .. but is it in the poor dogs best interest ? .. I think not

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 22 Aug 19:56

Certainly not for their pads if they’re not used to it… as was kinda the issue in this case
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Mon 22 Aug 21:23

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/dogs-ben-nevis-rescue-lochdale-b2145452.html?amp

The dog’s owners did try to bring Maggie down but she was too heavy.

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 22 Aug 22:31

Still maintain, it was stupid to take a dog,up a mountain,no matter what breed. Utter folly.Have folk,nae common sense.?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 23 Aug 06:40

So I was on a work organised / group led walk up Ben Nevis on the weekend and the guy who was our qualified mountiain leader, and who used to volunteer with Lochaber Mountain Rescue, takes his dog up all the time...

we were talking about that incident, which is why I knew it was pads and that was pretty much what he said happens with most dogs, their feet get sore from walking on uneven stones etc as they`re not used to it and when they get too sore they just stop.

he saw absolutely no issue in taking dogs up, but his advice was three fold:
1) the dog needs to be prepared, i.e. built up to something like Ben Nevis in the same way that we need to, e.g. do smaller walks first, get it`s paws used to it (as even the super fit dogs generally will run on grass/mud and not jaggy stones)
2) the dog needs to have the same level of equipment we need, e.g. things to keep us warm, keep us cool, fuel, things to hydrate with, harness to help it up some of the larger / technical bits if needed, etc
3) Get a dog breed that`s small enough to fit it in your rucksack! ...that way, if it does get sore paws, you can easily carry it! (he`s got some wee terrier thing)

Post Edited (Tue 23 Aug 06:49)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Tue 23 Aug 06:54

Quote:

DBP, Tue 23 Aug 06:40

So I was on a work organised / group led walk up Ben Nevis on the weekend and the guy who was our qualified mountiain leader, and who used to volunteer with Lochaber Mountain Rescue, takes his dog up all the time...

we were talking about that incident, which is why I knew it was pads and that was pretty much what he said happens with most dogs, their feet get sore from walking on uneven stones etc as they`re not used to it and when they get too sore they just stop.

he saw absolutely no issue in taking dogs up, but his advice was three fold:
1) the dog needs to be prepared, i.e. built up to something like Ben Nevis in the same way that we need to, e.g. do smaller walks first, get it`s paws used to it (as even the super fit dogs generally will run on grass/mud and not jaggy stones)
2) the dog needs to have the same level of equipment we need, e.g. things to keep us warm, keep us cool, fuel, things to hydrate with, harness to help it up some of the larger / technical bits if needed, etc
3) the dog needs to be small enough that you can fit it in your rucksack if it does get sore paws! (he`s got some wee terrier thing)

Point 3 exactly. Your man has a lot of experience probably borne out of a suitable risk assessment of where he would be taking the dog. For example if the dog were to break a leg, then what. He has thought of what is the worst that could happen and planned for it. Exactly what the owners of that dog didn’t do.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Tue 23 Aug 14:05

Was a daft thing to do but lets keep it real. Nobody in the mountain rescue endangered their lives. In fact they would view it as a training excercise.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net