Dunfermline Athletic

Bonfire Night Sees The Bairns In Tears

Date: Wednesday, 9th Nov 2022

Usually Bonfire Night would leave kids and pets alike in fear as thousands of fireworks go bang in the sky. However, it was Craig Wighton`s header which left the Bairns greeting last weekend as the Pars defeated Falkirk 1-0.

It was the biggest game of the campaign so far – despite starting the day in third spot, Falkirk were deemed to be Dunfermline Athletic`s nearest rivals to the title before a ball was kicked and this feeling hadn`t disappeared when the two Clubs met for a second occasion in SPFL cinch League One this term, on Match-Day 14.

Unlike Bonfire Night – and unlike typical Falkirk vs Dunfermline matches – fireworks didn`t fly in Grangemouth. It was a very timid and tame affair in contrast to some of those in the past. John McGlynn`s men set the early pace but never troubled Deniz Mehmet in the visiting goal. James McPake`s men did grow into the contest and had a couple of half-chances, but similarly to their hosts, never really sliced open their opponents defence.

Aaron Comrie had the only shot on target in the first-half from either side as he struck the ball straight down the throat of Nicky Hogarth from 20-yards following a corner-kick.

You`d maybe have expected a more attacking display with more quality from both sides in the second-half but that didn`t materialise. The first real effort of note in the final period of play came on the hour mark, as Joe Chalmers` corner found the head of the unmarked Wighton at the back post and the striker found the net for the fourth time this campaign to fire the visitors in front.

The disciplined display over the first 60 minutes didn`t dissipate after the goal, if anything it became even more resolute.

Highlighst Falkirk 0-1 Dunfermline

McGlynn threw everything at Athletic in the closing stages but the Bairns were to be denied: Mehmet made a late save to tip a long-distanced shot around the post for a corner, but that was the most work the shot-stopper had to do all afternoon.

The players in Black & White charged to the other end to celebrate with their supporters as Alan Newlands blew for full-time, with 2000 or so DAFC fans providing rapturous applause for a squad of players who have recovered ever so well following their only league defeat of the season against Montrose in their last away outing in League 1.


McPake and his players weren`t shy to admit their delight at being able to share such precious moments on the park with the supporters at full-time, but everyone was also quick to remind those doing post-match interviews, that Clyde were up next and the Bully Wee wouldn`t be an easy task.

All focus will now be on Jim Duffy, newly appointed as Clyde boss for the second time, as he brings his second-bottom Bully Wee side to KDM Group East End Park on Saturday, with the Pars hoping to avoid being on the end of the typical `new manager bounce` the visitors may get when coming to West Fife this weekend.

A comfortable 2-0 victory over Clyde just a few short midweeks ago put the Pars back on top of the pile and now their lead has extended to 6 points; they won`t be wanting to loosen their grip at the summit for a second time...


views: 336
Story Archives

To top