Dunfermline Athletic

Dunfermline Athletic 0 - 3 Falkirk

Author: Stephen Taylor Date: Saturday, 19th May 2007

If Pars fans needed a reminder why relegation has happened this inept performance told its own story. A relegation hangover? Possibly, but it was these players and this type of performance that has put Dunfermline down into Division 1.

Starting at the bizarre kick off time of 12.30pm it appeared a lot of the Pars fans had slept in for this game. By contrast the vociferous away support took the opportunity to gloat at the Pars demise.

However, Stephen Kenny had one eye on next weeks Scottish Cup final as he made several changes to his starting line up. Roddy McKenzie replaced De Vries in goal. The back four was familiar with Shields, Wilson, Bamba and Muirhead.

There was no Gary Mason or Stephen Glass and instead Darren Young and Stephen Simmons were in centre midfield with McCunnie on the left and Dacquin on the right. Stevie Crawford and Mark Burchill played up front.

It said much for the way this game started that it was not until 15 minutes with a Simmons shot blocked that there was anything of note. Three minutes later and Muirhead curled a free kick well over the bar from 20 yards out.

In 19 minutes Falkirk had their first effort a goals with a shot by Scobbie hit well over from 25 yards out. McKenzie was called into action in 21 minutes as he made a good save and then Bamba made a superb interception from Gow as he closed in on goals.

There was a penalty shout as Burchill was tumbled in 23 minutes but the referee waved play on. Shields was adjudged to have fouled a player and was yellow carded which seemed harsh. Latapy hit a low shot for the free kick at McKenzie. Half time 0-0.

Mark Burchill in action.

There two changes for the Pars as Muirhead and Dacquin went off with the full back no doubt being rested for next week. Jim Hamilton and Callum Woods came on.

Falkirk took the lead in 49 minutes after an appalling stramash in th ePars 6 yard area with McKenzie on hand and knees trying to retrieve the ball among all the swinging legs. The ball was played back out to Steven Thomson who slotted home through a ruck of players.

Stevie Crawford in action.

Russell Latapy was again in command in midfield and he nearly scored with a neat chip which landed on top of the net.

It was then game over in 57 minutes as Ibrox bound Alan Gow finished a good move with the Pars defence opened wide and he easily shot past McKenzie.

Mark Burchill in action.

There was a booking for Craig for a dive in 58 minutes. The Pars huffed and puffed but htsi display was exactly what the home fans had witnessed in the early part of the season, one paced , no width, no forward drive and no imagination. It was very, very poor.

Crawford had a half chance in 64 minutes but was offside. Tam McManus came on for the pointless Simmons and made an immediate contrast to his one paced teammates with some energetic running. Greg Shields hit a shot in 70 minutes which must have been the Pars first effort at goal since the opening 15 minutes.

Lima picked up a yellow card for a foul on Bamba. Closely followed by Scott Wilson which looked like the referee evening his poor decisions up. Latapy came off with Moutinho coming on. Darren Young had a shot in 75 minutes which was saved.

A couple of minutes later McManus headed off the bar from a corner and Crawford`s follow up shot was saved. Callum Wood shad a good effort which was saved by Schmeichel.

views: 4,482
Story Archives

To top