Dunfermline Athletic

Dunfermline Athletic 2 v 0 Queen of the South

Author: Stephen Taylor Date: Saturday, 22nd Dec 2007

The Pars clocked up their first home league win since 29 Septemeber with an emphatic win against, what must be said, was a poor Dumfries side. Goals from Burchill and Phinn sealed the deserved win.

Mark Burchill in action.

It may have been a long time in coming but this home win may prove to be an important result for the Pars not least for aspiring manager, Jim McIntyre. However the stand in manager had to contend with yet more changes to his starting line up with Jamie Harris making a welcome return to the side. There was no Stevie Crawford, recovering from illness, and Kevin Harper is once again injured.

The Pars lined up with Gallacher in goals. Calum Woods also returned to the side at right back with Harris and Scott Thomson in the centre and Danny Murphy at left back. The midfield quartet had Ryan on the right wing, Glass and Simmons in the middle and with McGlinchey on the left. Hamilton and Burchill lead the attack.

It was a slowish start to the game in gloomy foggy conditions. Calum Woods made a greatinterception in 4 minutes. The Doonhamers were first to get a strike at goals in 5 minutes as Dobbie hit straight at Gallacher.

Calum Woods v Neil McFarlane.

The Pars were starting to win the territorial battle and the play was virtually all in the Queens half. A long ball into their box saw keeper, McDonald, flatten one of his own defenders.

Burchill is put through in 12 minutes and with only the keeper to beat his shot was saved, he should have scored. QOS had to make an early change with Scally going off and McFarlane coming on.

The Pars were building up the pressure but perhaps the lack of urgency in their moves ensured not many clear cut chances were created. They certainly won enough corners but again these were generally wasted with some very poor floated crosses. Ironically, it was from a corner the Pars took the lead in 32 minutes. Simmons headed towards goal and it was cleared off the line but Burchill was able to head the ball home from 2 yards out.

Calum Woods clearly enjoys getting forward and right after the Pars had scored he cut in from the right and evaded three defenders before hitting a shot with his left foot that went wide.

Just on half time Murphy back a great challenge on the edge of the Pars penalty area getting his wee body in front of O`Connor and clearing the danger. The visitors had their most dangerous moment on half time with a powerful low cross than went across the face of the Pars goal missing everyone. Half time 1-0.

Nicky Phinn replaced Stephen Simmons at half time which was probably due to injury as Simmons had put in a lot of work (despite his usual quota of wayward passes!).

Burchill got himself to the bye line and his cut back was cleared. QOS had agreat chance to score in 50 minutes after Glass and Murphy failed to clear but Gallacher made a good save. The visitors made a double sustitution in 55 minutes with fomer Par David Bingham one of the subs.

Hamilton made a good turn and shot saved by McDonald in 68 minutes as the Pars kept up the pressure looking for the second goal.

Nipper and Harris were looking very solid at the back with Harris quite happy to put the ball out of the park when required. The defence was saved by Gallacher in 69 minutes with a good save from a header. McDonald in the Queens goal made a hash of a clearance in 70 minutes but equally Hamilton and Burchill managed to squander the chance. Woods got in another good cross from the right but Burchill was too far out to make his header other than an easy save.

Calum Woods v Eric Paton.

The Pars clinched the game in 78 minutes as a long clearance from Harris was held up by Burchill wide on the left, he managed to play the ball inside to Glass who cleverly passed to Phinn who was all on his own 12 yards out and the youngster finished beautifully into the top corner.

Burchill was replaced in 80 minutes by Williamson. Bobby Ryan attempted a long range lobbed shot that drifted over in 82 minutes. Jim McIntyre brought himself on for McGlinchey in the closing minutes. Final score 2-0.

views: 2,552
Story Archives

To top