Dunfermline Athletic

Dunfermline Athletic 3 Montrose 0

Author: Alistair Campbell Date: Tuesday, 28th Aug 2012

On a night of league cup shocks, there was never any question of there being one at East End Park, once Barrowman had eased the Pars into an early lead. Further goals from Wallace and Barrowman again were scant reward for the Pars’ dominance in a match that will be more memorable for the debuts of 3 players.

New signing Callum Morris made his debut at centre-back alongside recent goal-scoring hero Andy Dowie with Jordan McMillan continuing his reversion to the right-back role, Stephen Jordan defending on the other flank in front of goalkeeper Gallacher. Ryan Wallace got a start alongside Andrew Barrowman in attack, in front of what was nominally a midfield 4 of Geggan, Husband, Whittle and Falkingham. There was no place for Cardle, Potter or Kirk on the bench – instead we had a mixture of youth and experience with Shaun Byrne, Chris Kane, Ivan D’Angelo, Craig Dargo and Michal Hrivnak.

After a minute’s silence in memory of Jim Thomson, impeccably observed by a disappointingly small crowd, Montrose kicked off, and within 10 seconds we had arguably the game’s defining moment. The Gable-Endies tried to work the ball from the centre-spot to their left-back, but the pass was a bit slack and as Wallace nipped in, Watson injured himself trying to retrieve the situation. After 2 minutes’ treatment, he limped off and the Pars quickly exploited Johnston’s uncertainty as cover, McMillan sharing passes with Wallace, making space and crossing; Wallace got a touch before Barrowman poked home from 2 yards. 1-0 Pars.

That was precisely the start the Pars wanted, and they would go on to dominate possession, with Husband and Geggan particularly prominent, sending a stream of balls into the channels behind the defence, where Falkingham and Wallace were making a series of runs. McMillan was also getting forward and in 9 minutes he nearly reprised the goal-scoring move, playing a 1-2 with Wallace before testing Wood at his near post.

The visitors were a little shell-shocked and rarely threatened allowing Morris a gentle baptism – Dowie had to concede a corner mid-way through the half, but that was about it. Meanwhile the Pars had several chances to increase their lead – in 25 minutes Husband fed Falkingham and his slip inside was met first-time 12 yards with the outside of his boot by Wallace, but his shot crashed off the bar. Five minutes later, Barrowman was set free by Dowie and his cross was blasted by Lunan off McMillan, the ball rebounding past the post when it could have gone anywhere. Falkingham also tested Wood before the Pars scored an overdue second 4 minutes from the break. Husband again found Falkingham behind the vulnerable left back and he hit the by-line, ignored the run by Barrowman and instead found Wallace who tucked the ball inside the far post.

Half-time: Pars 2 Gable Endies 0

Both sides made a switch at half-time – Easton, who had come on early for the injured Watson was himself subbed by Scott Gordon, who helped out Garry Wood in attack. From a Pars perspective, their change was more interesting, with our first sight of Ivan D’Angelo, a straight swap for Alex Whittle, who had picked up a knock late in the first half.

views: 3,030
Story Archives

To top