DAFC.net
Home 30 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Highland League
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Mon 15 Apr 02:40

If you want an exciting end to a league campaign and can`t engage with the megaclubs in England or the Old Firm in Scotland, you could do worse than look at the Highland League - 2 games to go and any one of 3 teams could still win it.

Brechin P 32, GD 60, Pts 75
Fraserburgh P 32, GD 52, Pts 72
Buckie P31, GD 51, Pts 72

Personally, I`m torn - the Broch is my family`s ancestral town, but I like Brechin as a club, so I hope they get another crack at restoring their SPFL status.

However, Buckie have 2 games against bottom club Strathspey and will rack up cricket scores, while Brechin have 2 difficult away fixtures. If I were betting, my money would be on Buckie.

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (DADSC) when you shop online with one of 7000 firms: https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc[
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Highland League
Topic Originator: StevenPar77  
Date:   Mon 15 Apr 07:51

Having been born in Fraserburgh and with them playing in black and white stripes, too, I really hope they can retain their title. Games in hand may prove to be pivotal, though.

https://www.agiftfor.net
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JamesAndrew74  
Date:   Mon 15 Apr 14:49

Quote:

StevenPar77, Mon 15 Apr 07:51

Having been born in Fraserburgh and with them playing in black and white stripes, too, I really hope they can retain their title. Games in hand may prove to be pivotal, though.

How can they retain the title? Brechin won it did they not?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: StevenPar77  
Date:   Mon 15 Apr 18:07

Hahaha! I can`t believe it has been two years, clearly ignored last season, and concentrated on the Oars party in the seaside league.

https://www.agiftfor.net
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: brian  
Date:   Mon 15 Apr 20:11

Interesting to note that Fraserburgh use the same streaming platform as ParsTV
😁

Fraserburgh vs Brora Rangers on Wednesday evening
https://tv.fraserburghfc.scot

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Mon 15 Apr 21:50

I`m a Deveronvale man myself. Bit of a mouthful, "Come on ye Deveronvale". Don`t think they`ll ever hit the high spots.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Tue 16 Apr 06:04

It reminds me of the old Billy Connolly joke...

Deveronvale fans start a chant:

"Two, four, six, eight, who do we appreciate?"

" D... E... V... E... R... O... oh feck it... BANFF!!!"

:)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 16 Apr 06:38

Buckie beat Strathspey 6-1 last night so they are now level on points with Brechin whose goal difference is superior by 4 goals with two games to go.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Livingston Par  
Date:   Tue 16 Apr 08:26

I fancy Buckle. Two easier games left.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pars no1  
Date:   Tue 16 Apr 11:15

It went to the last game last season when Brechin beat Buckie. I can see both teams winning their last 2 games and it coming down to how many goals Buckie can score tomorrow night.

Buckie have been hampered with their pitch this season. It has been waterlogged for most of this year and have had 7-8 games to catch up on playing tues-sat every week. They have been having to use Lossiemouth’s pitch most weeks including a last minute switch v Brora after a last minute downpour.

They have gotten lucky with the last 3 fixtures but could have easily been in the driving seat if they never had so many to carry h up on.

Brechin’s recent form has let them down losing away to both Buckie and Fraserburgh which has let Buckie off the hook. A lot of Brechin fans fear losing on goal difference.

Either way I can’t see either side beating East Kilbride in the playoff. They will be too strong and will play the league 2 side in my opinion.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 16 Apr 11:27

Quote:

Livingston Par, Tue 16 Apr 08:26

I fancy Buckle. Two easier games left.

Agreed. East Kilbride awaits.

Buckie are away to Strathspey tomorrow and at home to Keith on Saturday - they should win both games and significantly improve their GD against Strathspey.

Brechin are away to Keith tonight and then away to Brora. They might not even win both games, but even if they do, it may not be enough to beat Buckie`s GD.

Fraserburgh have two home matches (Brora and Strathspey) but it`s unlikely that both the teams above them will slip up.

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (DADSC) when you shop online with one of 7000 firms: https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc[
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 16 Apr 21:57

Brechin have beaten Keith 1-0 tonight, ex-Par Kevin McHattie with the goal.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1985Par  
Date:   Wed 17 Apr 23:02

Buckie’s to lose now after they won 7-0 tonight.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 17 Apr 23:54

Quote:

1985Par, Wed 17 Apr 23:02

Buckie’s to lose now after they won 7-0 tonight.

Yep, Buckie 2 ahead of Brechin on Goal Difference, and 9 ahead on Goals Scored.

All down to the final matches, but Buckie are clear favourites.

But if Buckie and Brechin both lose, and Fraserburgh win by 8 or 9 goals, then Fraserburgh will be champions. Don`t bet on it, though.

Post Edited (Wed 17 Apr 23:54)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Livingston Par  
Date:   Thu 18 Apr 00:58

Good job Chris Sutton isn`t connected to Brechin.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Apr 01:04

So it`s Buckie Thistle v East Kilbride for the right to play the bottom SPFL club for a place in League Two next season.
Buckie Thistle win Highland League on final day - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68865926

Congratulations to Buckie, winning six games in 13 days shows they deserved it. But it`s a shame for Brechin and Fraserburgh - IMO either would have added more to the SPFL than either Buckie or East Kilbride.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Sun 21 Apr 05:52

Quote:

Stanza, Sun 21 Apr 01:04

So it`s Buckie Thistle v East Kilbride for the right to play the bottom SPFL club for a place in League Two next season.
Buckie Thistle win Highland League on final day - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68865926

Congratulations to Buckie, winning six games in 13 days shows they deserved it. But it`s a shame for Brechin and Fraserburgh - IMO either would have added more to the SPFL than either Buckie or East Kilbride.

Fixed link.

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jojo  
Date:   Sun 21 Apr 12:15

I suspect the majority will be looking for an EK victory as most clubs would prefer the location of EK rather than the expense of travel to Buckie which is a real pain of a journey to get to . That’s assuming they get past Club42 right enough
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sun 21 Apr 14:25

Travel is equally an issue from Buckie`s perspective - most away games involve significant distances.

Stranraer obviously the farthest - 560 miles round trip.

Peterhead, (their second closest road trip) also still in contention for promotion - they`d prefer them to stay in League 2, rather than Annan or Queen of the South to come down to replace them.

Post Edited (Sun 21 Apr 14:38)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Thu 25 Apr 18:31

Buckie kicked out of play offs for failing to meet Bronze criteria - East Kilbride automatically through to final……
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 25 Apr 18:59

Wouldn`t it have been fairer to let Brechin represent the Highland League in the play-offs? They must have known Buckie didn`t meet the criteria a while ago.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Thu 25 Apr 19:00

Buckie blatantly refusing the chance of promotion. Should be booted out the pyramid.

Ep.16 of East End Tales is out now with Steven Mill

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/14949749
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 25 Apr 19:09

Quote:

wee eck, Thu 25 Apr 18:59

Wouldn`t it have been fairer to let Brechin represent the Highland League in the play-offs? They must have known Buckie didn`t meet the criteria a while ago.

Supposedly they were notified 3 times throughout the season and refused to respond. Rules state only champions can compete in play offs. Effectively they have stopped others being promoted when blatantly knew they wouldn’t meet criteria and done nothing about it. Pretty disgraceful really if true.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 25 Apr 19:16

"Buckie blatantly refusing the chance of promotion. Should be booted out the pyramid."

It`s probably true that grounds of several of the clubs who play in the Highland and Lowland Leagues wouldn`t meet the standards set by the SPFL. That shouldn`t stop them competing at that level and even winning the title fair and square, as Buckie have done.

The Highland and Lowland Leagues could insist that any club taking part would have to meet SPFL ground standards - but why should they hand over to a different body they have no control over (ie the SPFL) the decision-making on which clubs should compete in the Highland and Lowland Leagues?

A better solution would have been a mandatory SPFL requirement on Buckie to meet the SPFL standard within (say) 12 months of entry to the SPFL or have their membership withdrawn, and the club "returned" to the Highland League. But that would have to be in the rules before we reach this stage, otherwise East Kilbride (or Club 42) could claim against the SPFL.

Post Edited (Thu 25 Apr 19:18)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par58  
Date:   Thu 25 Apr 19:19

Poor from Buckie, statement suggest opinions within the club split about progress to SPFL. I feel sorry for Brechin City who are genuinely striving to gain SPFL status again. Rules is rules but to me it smacks of “jobsworth” not to allow Brechin to replace Buckie, particularly given the close finish to the league. Bad taste all round imo, for what it’s worth.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Thu 25 Apr 21:19

I don`t think there`s anything wrong with the rule that only the league winner can qualify for the play-off. I love Glebe Park and I`d love to see Brechin back in the SPFL but there has to be sore sort of standard set. If you allow a team finishing second to qualify, what if the best placed club that meets the criteria finsihes 3rd? Or 8th, or bottom? I`d really like both league winners to win promotion but with the system we have, I think it`s right that you have to win the league to have a chance.

When I saw the SPFL rule change last summer I tought it might become contentious, but the letter that went out to all clubs early in the season was published on the SPFL website and was very clear about the rule change and what it meant. Had Buckie applied for a waiver before the deadline, I`m pretty sure it would have been accepted had they proposed some plan to get things up to standard later.

The thing aout the bronze license might seem unfair, but I`m in favour of it. That`s mainly due to last season`s experience at Meadowbank, a ground that was obviously unfit for a crowd of more than about 200 and where I somehow managed to enter the referee`s changing room unimpeded. The bronze license requirement means that there has to be a commitment to improve football infrastructure for clubs who have ambitions to get to the SPFL. As long as it`s done with some common sense, by allowing waivers for the first few years if properly applied for, I don`t see much wrong with it.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Thu 25 Apr 21:33

Very poor from the leagues as well rejecting non-champions in these situations.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBA  
Date:   Thu 25 Apr 22:01

Brechin don`t have the licence either.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Big T Par  
Date:   Thu 25 Apr 22:12

Neither do Airdrie, Kelty, Edinburgh City, Peterhead and Cove.

https://twitter.com/Jack_Wad_V2/status/1783551874366325081?t=mGZS4varhYLDpRjhUXugow&s=19

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 25 Apr 22:40

Indeed, and it`ll be interesting to see how the issues of current clubs not meeting the requirments are dealt with. However, it`s not a case that the requirements absolutely had to be met by March - it was the case that if they hadn`t been met, the club had to apply for a waiver.

This is the club licensing list, last updated yesterday after the latest review at Buckie:

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/media/11752/240424-club-licensing-awards.pdf

Although some SPFL clubs still only have Entry licenses, all apart from Edinburgh City meet the ground requirements, as do Brechin. I`d imagine the other issues can more easily be addressed.

The interesting one will be Edinburgh City. It`s no surprise that absolute joke of a ground doesn`t meet the standards, and with the financial problems there this season and the bad relationship they seem to have with Edinburgh Leisure, I`m not sure there`s much chance of improvement. However, if they`ve applied for a waiver, they might be OK. And it`s probably easier for them being an existing SPFL club so if they`ve applied for waiver, they should be fine this year.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Apr 05:16

Was hoping Sevco were somehow on that list. Boot them all out.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: adj27  
Date:   Fri 26 Apr 06:49

Buckie have released a statement saying they are shocked at the announcement and confirming they had applied for a delay as previously agreed with the League - not sure how genuine this is though as they can hardly just say they don’t want to join the league.

The whole thing sounds like a problem to me - I can fully understand why Highland League sides would rather stay where they are even if they win the league.

Andy
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Apr 08:06

Quote:

Socks, Thu 25 Apr 22:40

Indeed, and it`ll be interesting to see how the issues of current clubs not meeting the requirments are dealt with. However, it`s not a case that the requirements absolutely had to be met by March - it was the case that if they hadn`t been met, the club had to apply for a waiver.

This is the club licensing list, last updated yesterday after the latest review at Buckie:

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/media/11752/240424-club-licensing-awards.pdf

Although some SPFL clubs still only have Entry licenses, all apart from Edinburgh City meet the ground requirements, as do Brechin. I`d imagine the other issues can more easily be addressed.

The interesting one will be Edinburgh City. It`s no surprise that absolute joke of a ground doesn`t meet the standards, and with the financial problems there this season and the bad relationship they seem to have with Edinburgh Leisure, I`m not sure there`s much chance of improvement. However, if they`ve applied for a waiver, they might be OK. And it`s probably easier for them being an existing SPFL club so if they`ve applied for waiver, they should be fine this year.

That list literally shows that only 2 clubs from the lower tiers have a bronze award to gain promotion……surely theres something wrong with the system if thats the case? Whats the point in the play offs if only two clubs can go up?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Fri 26 Apr 08:49

Just curious - what if Buckie drew an SPFL club at home in the Scottish Cup - would they have to switch to a ground which meets licence criteria ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Apr 08:52

Quote:

veteraneastender, Fri 26 Apr 08:49

Just curious - what if Buckie drew an SPFL club at home in the Scottish Cup - would they have to switch to a ground which meets licence criteria ?

But we`ve played there in the cup?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AlterPar  
Date:   Fri 26 Apr 10:13

Licensing and criteria to play football in a man made group of teams. I hate humans.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Fri 26 Apr 10:21

the issues are not with the ground (one of the defferals are floodlights which they say are being installed imminently so would be waivered)

They have no inclusion and diversity officer (requirement for a 90 hour course for qualification) and no club doctor available on match days.

There statement reads as a bit "meh". Brechin seem very bitter and blaming the league for scheduling of the Strathspey vs Buckie games (resulting in 15-1 agg result) whilst ignoring they took a 13-1 agg score themselves off Strathspey but lost twice to Buckie.

The "polictical" side of football is absolutley embarassing. Boys put more effort into reading constitutions etc to claim points than training to get better and win games

Post Edited (Fri 26 Apr 10:22)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Apr 12:25

"That list literally shows that only 2 clubs from the lower tiers have a bronze award to gain promotion……surely theres something wrong with the system if thats the case? Whats the point in the play offs if only two clubs can go up?"

The list does not show that only two clubs can be promoted. Clubs do not need to have a bronze license to be promoted - they either need to have a bronze license, or need to have applied for waiver before the end of March.

Statement on SFA website, with quotes from SFA and SPFL is interesting:

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/scottish-fa-statement-pyramid-play-off-tie/?rid=14258

SPFL spokesperson: “Every club was made aware in summer last year of the need to have a Scottish FA Bronze Licence to participate in the SPFL. Regrettably, Buckie Thistle failed to respond to any of the three subsequent follow-up letters sent in October, February and March.

“They are not compliant with SPFL Rules and failed to apply for a period of grace by the 31 March 2024 deadline. The SPFL Board has huge sympathy for Buckie and their fans, but has no option but to enforce our Rules.”

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Fri 26 Apr 14:17

Yet the Buckie statement say they were in a meeting to discuss things on Wed before the thursday announcement.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Apr 17:11

Three statements today from Buckie, and they do admit missing the deadline to seek a perood of grace. This now looks like it might go to arbitration, which would be unfair on all the teams, players and fans affected.

I can see the SPFL backing down and allowing Buckie to take part - hopefully matters will be decided on the pitch and not in the courts.

https://www.buckiethistlefc.co.uk/news/club-statement--pyramid-playoff-semifinal-2847695.html

https://www.buckiethistlefc.co.uk/news/further-club-statement-re-pyramid-playoff-semifinal-2847861.html

https://www.buckiethistlefc.co.uk/news/president-statement-2847887.html

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Fri 26 Apr 17:21

Probably should have let Buckie take part in the play off and then if the lost to either East Kilbride or Club 42 then no harm, no foul; if they won through then Club 42 would get a reprieve if Buckie couldn`t get their ducks in a row.

Post Edited (Fri 26 Apr 17:22)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Fri 26 Apr 17:40

Quote:

Playup_Pompey, Fri 26 Apr 10:21

the issues are not with the ground (one of the defferals are floodlights which they say are being installed imminently so would be waivered)

They have no inclusion and diversity officer (requirement for a 90 hour course for qualification) and no club doctor available on match days.

Fair enough about the requirement for a club doctor on match days, but is there really any need for an inclusion and diversity officer?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Apr 18:16

Strange how the SFA were happy to bend the rules in 2012 to allow a certain club in automatically with zero financial records for 3 years, but now wont allow a club the slim chance of making it without a diversity officer in place…………
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net