DAFC.net
Home 26 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Golf Courses....
Topic Originator: Fools Gold Clubnight  
Date:   Fri 8 Jun 10:51

Golf.......

Returning to the game after a few years with a dodgy back. making my way round dunfermline courses to see where id maybe become a member.

tested out canmore and pitreavie. Next up is Forrester park and pitfirrane.

Cant go outside dunfermline for logistics reasons.

Opinions on all these courses ? also, does Pitfirrane still have a huge waiting list?

Thanks
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Golf Courses....
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Fri 8 Jun 11:19

I'm a member at Pitfirrane and I don't think there is still a waiting list but I'll enquire when I play later on today and post back on here. If there is it certainly isn't as big as it once was.The course is in nice condition just now.

In fairness I walked over Pitreavie last night and it seemed in good condition from what I could see although I wasn't playing. I would rule out Canmore if you are looking to join purely based on the course. Not played it for a year or two but it's quite a short course-good if you fancy getting a lower handicap but wouldn't be my choice. I've played Forrester only twice so couldn't comment too much although I never had any complaints.Quite a lot of hills from what I can remember if that's an issue with your back. I think one of Forrester's main selling points is that it's full greens all year round. Pitfirrance does try to avoid using the winter greens but it does happen on occasion at the start of the year but the greens are probably reaping the benefit just now.

Hope that helps a little.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Fri 8 Jun 14:42

yeah agree on canmore reminds me of a council course, quite short with small greens that are like upturned saucers and is a bit fudged into the limited space available

Pitreavie is a nice course, bit of a slog to start though.....

Back to being drenched in my own negativity….

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: adampar1  
Date:   Fri 8 Jun 17:41

I joined Pitfirrane a couple of months ago and got straight in with no waiting list.

Para's post above has some good points. IMO Pitfirrane is certainly the best of the courses in West Fife. However, you do tend to get what you pay for with golf memberships hence why there is still a joining fee at Pitfirrane. Think it was c£500 but you can pay it up over up to 3 years I think

If you want a game at Pitfirrane then let me know and I can sign you on as a guest if you like to save you paying full visitor fee.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: calpar  
Date:   Fri 8 Jun 21:15

Tulliallan is cheap i think, not into golf myself, and theres 3 buses an hour here, not too far to the club from stop too, and gid grub at club too, i do the 19th only
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 8 Jun 23:19

Thanks for the replies.

Good point about forrester, the hills may hurt my tender back a bit.

I guess the last local course to try is Pitfirrane - when looking at the tee-times online it always looks crazy busy with little availability should i decide to head along at short notice....is this really the case or is it that so many times are reserved for members ?

Cheers
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Fri 8 Jun 23:22

If you've got a dodgy back then there are a few tough climbs at Pitreavie.
Pitfirrane would suit you better but it has a certain snobbery about it. Not worth a joining fee. Pitreavie is a better test of golf and is in magnificent condition.

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983

Post Edited (Fri 08 Jun 23:23)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Sat 9 Jun 00:20

You will get onto Pitfirrane no bother through the week,there is usually plenty of availability.Saturday is always busy with the medals at the moment but you could get on late afternoon/early evening. Sunday's are usually relatively quiet although this weekend isn't a good example as there are open competitions on Saturday and Sunday.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: ft media  
Date:   Sat 9 Jun 10:57

If you know anyone at pireavie, he can nominate you and you will both get 20% off for the next two years.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 9 Jun 14:17

Thanks for that. Pitfirrane is def worth looking at - good to know this weekend is an exception given the open comps being on - im a fair weather player so the decision to play is usually last minute.

i'll take a look......
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Mario  
Date:   Sat 9 Jun 14:41

Is it an obsession?
Used to work beside a keen one, his golfing buddy used to pop in on "business" which would take 5 minutes tops but he wouldn't be out the door within half an hour.
One of the managers would dodge calls in the days coming up to the annual golf outing...except those about the golf outing!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Number57  
Date:   Sat 9 Jun 17:21

Aberdour is in great nick at the moment and the views are second to none

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net