DAFC.net
Home 18 October 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Going Off Topic.
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Tue 14 Nov 22:06

In normal conversation we all go off topic but when a thread has a specific topic it is a matter of respect to the OP on a forum not to deviate from the intended subject too much.
A little deviation is to be expected but we too often see interesting threads hijacked by posters debating an alternative matter.

Maybe admin could fire a warning shot at appropriate times, saying start a new thread or posts may be deleted.

Post Edited (Tue 14 Nov 22:10)
[IP address logged]
 Re: Going Off Topic.
Topic Originator: AlfonzoBonzo  
Date:   Tue 14 Nov 22:15

Anyone got any thoughts on new signings for the transfer window?

Show us yer....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: alwaysaPar  
Date:   Tue 14 Nov 22:22

What about these ticket prices for the Scottish Cup game , eh ??
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Tue 14 Nov 22:25

Iceland investigation still not concluded?

Ep.17 of East End Tales is out now with Andrius Skerla

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/15082607
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Livingston Par  
Date:   Tue 14 Nov 22:32

Anyone ever been to Azerbaijan?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Tue 14 Nov 22:38

That David Cameron bloke has put some beef on eh ?

What an opportunity we missed in 2014.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Livingston Par  
Date:   Tue 14 Nov 22:49

Trust me you will like this one.

Ask Alexa to say Declan Gallacher one hundred one hundred one hundred in Welsh

Post Edited (Tue 14 Nov 22:52)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Tue 14 Nov 22:50

What would life in Scotland be like if every loch contained crocodiles?

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: back oh the net  
Date:   Wed 15 Nov 00:31

Off topic forum for this p!!sh

Come on ye pars ⚽️
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Wed 15 Nov 01:57

PARrot`s lecture about going off topic might have been better directed at Bletchley Par rather than the rest of us. It was Bletchley Par`s decision to attach what seems to be a political message to his post on the Joe Cardle thread.

Last year on the football forum I witnessed several political logos linked to the conflict in Ukraine, yet from memory I cannot recall PARrot objecting to any of these.

I agree with his advice to keep politics separate from the football forum but in leaping in to protect Bletchley Par (who presumably shares PARrot`s political sympathies) from criticism he has made the problem worse.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Nov 04:09

Quote:

sammer, Wed 15 Nov 01:57

PARrot`s lecture about going off topic might have been better directed at Bletchley Par rather than the rest of us. It was Bletchley Par`s decision to attach what seems to be a political message to his post on the Joe Cardle thread.

Last year on the football forum I witnessed several political logos linked to the conflict in Ukraine, yet from memory I cannot recall PARrot objecting to any of these.

I agree with his advice to keep politics separate from the football forum but in leaping in to protect Bletchley Par (who presumably shares PARrot`s political sympathies) from criticism he has made the problem worse.

The whole point, Sammer, is I was aware that the logo was going to spark a toxic debate and I didn`t want to see a popular thread ruined by it.
I didn`t defend anyones opinion or politics at any point. I just asked for the inevitable furore to be posted in a separate thread.

This one for instance. Dad on. I think the response on here is quite humorous and pretty much what I expected.

I haven`t checked the Cardle thread yet but I hope it hasn`t been wasted.

I doubt very much that my politics are akin to Bletchley`s and you shouldn`t be so narrow minded as to assume that because I am a Christian I support the actions of the Israeli government. I don`t, and I`m pretty sure God doesn`t either.

I didnt see any of the attached logos you refer to and I only became aware of this one because someone pointed it out.

Quite a s#it stirrer aren't you Sammer?

Ps. I just checked the Cardle Post and it has survived. The furore would appear to have been diverted here. By you at least. Everyone else was just being wide.

So far from making matters worse it would appear I accomplished my goal.

Post Edited (Wed 15 Nov 04:15)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Wed 15 Nov 09:28

Quote:

sammer, Wed 15 Nov 01:57

His sig has nothing to do with the Joe Cardle thread. He didn`t take it off topic and no one`s leapt to his defence.

Change your signature and it`s on all your posts, past and future, until you change it to something else. Then they all have the new one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 15 Nov 10:05

Until I read the opening post on this thread I assumed PARrot was part of Admin because recently on the `Highlights` thread he told me and CrossPar to `STFU` because our dialogue was `tedious`. Now he seems to have taken it on himself to police all threads for consistency and relevance. He has even ventured to tell us what God thinks about the conflict in the Middle East.

Has he taken on His role on .net?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Nov 10:41

Quote:

wee eck, Wed 15 Nov 10:05

Until I read the opening post on this thread I assumed PARrot was part of Admin because recently on the `Highlights` thread he told me and CrossPar to `STFU` because our dialogue was `tedious`. Now he seems to have taken it on himself to police all threads for consistency and relevance. He has even ventured to tell us what God thinks about the conflict in the Middle East.

Has he taken on His role on .net?

I honestly don`t know whether to laugh or cry.
Sorry if I offended you with the STFU post. I was having a tough day and came on to cheer myself up. Another personal spat was taking over the thread but I was out of order with that one so apologies.
I actually tried to lighten it up in a later post.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Nov 10:43

PARrot is against going off topic. Fine.

But he has made absolutely no comment on Bletchley Par attaching a signature in Hebrew which carries a highly charged political message at the present time. So I assume he defends Bletchley`s right to do so, even though the slogan can surely have no relevance to the issue of Joe Cardle.

If someone wants to slip a political slogan into a football thread then of course there is the possibility of that being challenged and of the issue going off topic. PARrot should be directing his words of wisdom at Bletchley Par if he really cares about threads going off topic.

If BP wishes to express his views on the situation in Israel/Palestine then he is free to do so on other forums, although I note he has not yet taken the opportunity to do so.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-91  
Date:   Wed 15 Nov 10:45

In all seriousness, can the admins not just delete all political/non-football related posts in the football forum? Obviously threads can go off on a tangent and stray from the original topic, but as long as it’s football-related and comes from discussions about the original post/topic that seems ok.

There’s already an off-topic forum and a politics forum. It shouldn’t be too much to ask that people keep that sort of conversation to those?

Edit to add - agree with the above. I feel like political signatures at the bottom of posts are often designed to antagonise.

Post Edited (Wed 15 Nov 10:49)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Nov 17:33

Quote:

sammer, Wed 15 Nov 10:43

PARrot is against going off topic. Fine.

But he has made absolutely no comment on Bletchley Par attaching a signature in Hebrew which carries a highly charged political message at the present time. So I assume he defends Bletchley`s right to do so, even though the slogan can surely have no relevance to the issue of Joe Cardle.

If someone wants to slip a political slogan into a football thread then of course there is the possibility of that being challenged and of the issue going off topic. PARrot should be directing his words of wisdom at Bletchley Par if he really cares about threads going off topic.

If BP wishes to express his views on the situation in Israel/Palestine then he is free to do so on other forums, although I note he has not yet taken the opportunity to do so.

Sammer, with the greatest respect, you are blethering.
Think ill call it a day at that.

Admin can you delete this thread please. It has served its purpose

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Nov 22:34

I think that`s waving a white flag.

Bletchley Par, the catalyst for this whole debate, has remained as stum as Keir Starmer.

A man who calls for admin is like a weak man calling for the cops.

The admin on this site have always been fair to me and I will t=return that respect.

sammer
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

closed
 This thread is closed 
© 2021-- DAFC.net