DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 In the Bleak Midwinter
Topic Originator: Mario  
Date:   Wed 30 Oct 08:12

Elsie needs to take a few minutes off from fleecing her SNP flock to inform buddy Blackford that the electorate are not being dragged out to vote in the middle of Winter
That season kicks in on 22 Dec in terms of the equinox, or 1 Dec according to the tidy minded meteorologists. So, take your pick; midwinter early Feb or mid January..
You would expect a simple crofter to know that sort of thing. Even one more used to counting all those bawbees from investment banking than counting sheep.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: In the Bleak Midwinter
Topic Originator: aaaaaaaaaargh  
Date:   Wed 30 Oct 09:53

Who's Elsie?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Wed 30 Oct 09:56

I'm glad we've nailed that burning political issue 😂
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 30 Oct 10:05

Elsie is the FM whose door the buck never stops at..anything goes wrong it’s always the fault of someone Elsie.
Got that tag years ago. Well deserved too.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 30 Oct 10:10

Midwinter is the time of the winter solstice which falls around 21/22 December, just over a week after the general election. It's the lack of daylight hours that's the issue, especially in the north of Scotland, so the reference to midwinter seems quite appropriate.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 30 Oct 10:35

Yes, but Blackford was talking about folk being dragged out in the middle of winter. The date selected is in the second last week of autumn. In the old fashioned definition.
Point taken on the early sundown though. Doesn’t matter for us retired old gits, we can troop out anytime, not so good for the daily toiler who just wants to get home to the warm.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: aaaaaaaaaargh  
Date:   Wed 30 Oct 10:38

Namecalling is my favourite part of politics.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Wed 30 Oct 17:00

Quote:

aaaaaaaaaargh, Wed 30 Oct 10:38

Namecalling is my favourite part of politics.

It's Mario's only part of politics. He seems to like calling people names. You know like you used to do when you were about 5 or 6 at school.

Doing so just makes the name caller look stupid and negates any valid point they may be trying to make.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: donj  
Date:   Wed 30 Oct 19:54

Btw Mario her name is Nicola or if you prefer Sturgeon.Baby names not required as most of are a wee bit more grown up.
Just to help you a bit in your slagging off of her.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Wed 30 Oct 22:09

Quote:

donj, Wed 30 Oct 19:54

Btw Mario her name is Nicola or if you prefer Sturgeon.Baby names not required as most of are a wee bit more grown up.

Considering the current news story where women MPs are not coming back to parliament due to abuse name calling by the likes of Mario is low level. The problem is this sort of childish nonsense normalises abuse. If you can get away with name calling then it's a small step to worse abuse.

Post Edited (Wed 30 Oct 22:09)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Thu 31 Oct 08:14

Quote:

moviescot, Wed 30 Oct 22:09

Quote:

donj, Wed 30 Oct 19:54

Considering the current news story where women MPs are not coming back to parliament due to abuse name calling by the likes of Mario is low level. The problem is this sort of childish nonsense normalises abuse. If you can get away with name calling then it's a small step to worse abuse.

Don't feed the troll
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Thu 31 Oct 08:41

Well at least he didn't call her scum.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 31 Oct 08:47

At least I don’t stoop to call politicians I loath scum, so I take no lectures from anyone on name calling.
And the hypocrisy regarding women being abused honks. The accumulated vile stuff aimed at Ruth Davidson on here over the years can be measured by the the yard, and no scum caller can deny it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Thu 31 Oct 08:51

Quote:

Mario, Thu 31 Oct 08:47

At least I don’t stoop to call politicians I loath scum, so I take no lectures from anyone on name calling.
And the hypocrisy regarding women being abused honks. The accumulated vile stuff aimed at Ruth Davidson on here over the years can be measured by the the yard, and no scum caller can deny it.

Stop it, stop trying to defend yourself, you've been one of the worst with your hatred to opposition parties. Now is not the time.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Thu 31 Oct 09:07

If Mario had written some glib insult towards Boris Johnson then nobody would have batted an eyelid.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 31 Oct 09:13

Scum was the buzzword a day or so ago. Didn’t you notice? Was that the right time?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Thu 31 Oct 12:24

whataboutery

/ (ˌwɑːtəˈbaʊtərɪ) /

noun

(of two communities in conflict) the practice of repeatedly blaming the other side and referring to events from the past

Whataboutism

Read in another language

Download PDF

Watch this page

Edit

Whataboutism, also known as whataboutery, is a variant of the tu quoque logical fallacy that attempts to discredit an opponent's position by charging them with hypocrisy without directly refuting or disproving their argument.[1][2][3] It is particularly associated with Soviet and Russian propaganda.[4][5][6] When criticisms were leveled at the Soviet Union during the Cold War, the Soviet response would often be "What about..." followed by an event in the Western world.[7][8][9] As Garry Kasparov noted, it is a word that was coined to describe the frequent use of a rhetorical diversion by Soviet apologists and dictators, who would counter charges of their oppression, "massacres, gulags, and forced deportations" by invoking American slavery, racism, lynchings, etc.[10]
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 31 Oct 13:05

Nicola is a master..waiting times? it’s worse in Wales!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sat 2 Nov 21:17

Its a cauld dark winter’s night and ye get yer thermals an gloves oan to go and vote but who for?…. Then the wireless crackles intae life there is still enough power left in the accumulator to listen to the home news, shipping forecast, Dick Barton and maybe Wilfred Pickles

Then on he comes William Brooke Joyce …… Lord Haw Haw to me and you

Germany calling Germany calling …….. Boris has banned fracking !!
Eh Naw Boris has paused fracking its his opposition party’s that want to ban it

Germany calling Germany calling ……Boris has said he will not forge an alliance with Nigel Farage
Eh Naw Boris never actually answered the direct question but deflected around it … so he probably will

Germany calling Germany calling …… Boris has the findings of the Russian interference report
Eh Naw Boris has the findings but refuses to release them as Dominic said… Борис, пожалуйста, не отпускай их, или КГБ отправит киллера для Джениффер

Germany calling Germany calling …….Boris never breached the election law and exceeded the £7 million cap
Eh Naw Boris did and it is now in the hands of the Crown Prosecution service

Germany calling Germany calling ….. Boris never lied to her majesty the Queen
Eh Naw Boris did and he ate her last fern cake as well

Germany calling Germany calling ….. Boris said this is a fabulous new deal to take the Country forward
Eh Naw its T May’s deal with concessions that are worse than the original deal

Germany calling Germany calling ….. crackle phtzzzzzz crackle hiszzzzzz
Eh Naw is that you Boris ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 2 Nov 21:28

Wireless? Dick Barton? Wilfred Pickles?..Whitaboot Gracie Fields!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 2 Nov 21:49

Mario she feked off to warmer climes :-)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 11:51

Capri so it was..
And whitaboot Dan Dare, my Ma told me that my brave big bro used to hide behind the sofa when that came on.
In fact the radio can be a scary place. I read the Woman in Black novel, saw the film, the stage production in London, but a radio adaptation was the spookiest of the lot. It’s all in the mind y’know.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 14:04

Great memories for me as a boy growing up with the wireless
Round the Horne, The Goons, Uncle Macs family favourites, (mine was Sparky's magic piano)
Goodbye children everywhere :-)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 14:16

Didn't Uncle Mac host CHILDREN'S favourites? The Laughing Policeman was a big favourite.

Family Favourites was on Sunday lunch-time I think and was hosted by Jean Metcalf (married to Cliff Michelmore?). It mainly played requests for those serving in the Forces overseas, I think.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 14:50

Your right wee eck Childrens favourites I just got a wee bit mixed up
Then two way Family favourites as well
The Archers
Mrs Dales Diary
It was hard to believe that we were listening to a group of people standing around microphones as they made it sound so real
Hope I haven't spoiled it for you :-)

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were

Post Edited (Sun 03 Nov 16:08)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 16:20

Saturday Club came on the wireless just after Children's Favourites. Jazz and Skiffle at first then starting about 1962/3 up and coming young bands, or groups as they were then known, such as just about everyone from Liverpool also the Who,Stones etc would play live to promote their new single or LP
Began in 1957, hosted by Brian Matthew, who was still presenting a radio show 60 years later. Retired not long before he passed away in fact.
Still recall many of the regular discs that got a spin on the kids show: Cheerful ditties such as The Ugly Duckling, There was an Old Woman Who Swallowed a Fly, My Boomerang Won't Come Back, one about goats and a troll, and the rather sinister Teddy Bears Picnic ( if you go down to the woods today you're sure of a big surprise..)
As for Uncle Mac there was a bit of a cloud over him after he left, got bit too uncley with young fans perhaps.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 16:33

Brian Matthew great wireless voice

Teddy bears picnic we sang to our kids every time we drove through wooded roads ..... nothing sinister

A windmill in old Amsterdam

Uncle Mac .....under a cloud when he left ? not the voice of Larry the lamb surely never read or heard anything bad about him ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 16:44

omg Round the Horne - packed with double entendres, the outrageously camp Julien and Sandy, Kenneth Williams as suggestive folk song singer Rambling Syd Rumpo, and many more highly dubious characters.
Didn't get what they were on about till I was well grown out of short trousers.

Post Edited (Sun 03 Nov 17:10)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 16:53

My aunt Jenny moved away during the war to live in Nelson We got bus train bus train bus to visit her and stuck in my mind is the blueberry tarts from the wee bakers and also everyone sounded like the Clitheroe Kid
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Nov 17:05

After he left, John Simpson the reporter dropped heavy hints, cover up according to him.
But as I said, perhaps. Don't know, would be surprised as well.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net