DAFC.net
Home 30 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Premier League Title Race
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 8 Apr 06:30

With all due respect to the Scottish Premiership, in which the same clubs contest the title year after year, the PL race looks quite intriguing and impossible to call, with 1 pt separating 3 clubs. All 3 are also playing in Europe, so points will almost certainly be dropped in the league in games Arsenal, Liverpool and Man City might expect to win. It`s tighter than the proverbial duck`s @rse and I can`t call it.

Who`ll blink first? 🤔

Not your average Sunday League player.

Post Edited (Mon 08 Apr 06:31)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Premier League Title Race
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Mon 8 Apr 10:36

After enduring the recent borefest Man.City v Arsenal - yesterday`s game at Ibrox was a welcome return to very watchable football.......... despite all the negative baggage that embraces these two clubs.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Mon 8 Apr 10:37

Obviously I hope Arsenal do it but I doubt they have the minerals to hold their nerve. Man City or Liverpool. Guardiola or Klopp. That`s a right Sophies choice. The breathtaking arrogance of Pep and his club who have allegedly cheated on an industrial scale or the chest thumping fist pumping Klopp who, well he`s the Liverpool manager , so no other reason is needed to see him fail. I guess I`d go for City, they`ll hopefully get their titles stripped from the record books in the summer anyway.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Mon 8 Apr 10:47

I could not give one **** one way or the other who tops English football. Am I the only one?

Ep.16 of East End Tales is out now with Steven Mill

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/14949749
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Mon 8 Apr 10:54

Do you care who tops the Scottish Premiership?

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 8 Apr 10:59

Quote:

EastEndTales, Mon 8 Apr 10:47

I could not give one **** one way or the other who tops English football. Am I the only one?

I`m the same. Terrible league owned by billionaires.

Scottish Premier is bloody awful too but because it`s always going to be one of the Glasgow duo winning it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Mon 8 Apr 11:00

Sadly for right minded people the world over, Pep`s Petrostate XI will win the title, probably by 3 or 4 points. Liverpool and Arsenal will drop points - it wouldn`t surprise me if Man City wkn every game left. A horrible, financially doped club with awful fans, 115 Premier League charges pending and several Champions League charged dismissed only because their highly paid legal team delayed things to run down the clock and a proven doping cheat of a manager who loves playing up to the cameras. Wouldn`t mind Arsenal or Liverpool winning as at least their games are interesting to watch. But sadly, I can`t see either managing to hold off City.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 8 Apr 12:23

I know I`ll get pelters for this but the replies to my OP have the unmistakable whiff of inverted snobbery. I`ve been a Pars fan through thick and thin for over 60 years, but I don`t turn my nose up when I have the chance to watch elite footballers playing for some of the best clubs in the world on TV.

There`s no doubt there are obscene amounts of money sloshing around the PL, but the FFP rules were dreamed up by a certain Michel Platini, who as it turned out was hardly a paragon of virtue. Sepp Blatter was even worse. Nobody likes the financial doping at the top of the English game, with the possible exception of some of the fans of the worst offending clubs, but that shouldn`t stop us from admiring the exquisite skills of the very best players. That they earn absolutely obscene salaries is hardly their fault. They all have agents who will squeeze their club`s rich owners for every ÂŁ they can get, in order to maximise their own cut.

I recall many threads on the English game when Man U and Sir Alex were riding high. Those who used to start them appear to be keeping a low profile for the most part. I agree that on a Pars fans forum, the vast majority of threads are about our club, but it shouldn`t be to the exclusion of all others.

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: 1985Par  
Date:   Mon 8 Apr 12:52

Anyone but City. I cannot stand their keep-ball approach to the game. It’s a Pep thing- games involving his Barcelona team were equally as mind - numbing for the neutral who likes to see 2 teams having a go at each other.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Mon 8 Apr 13:45

The only English Premiership or (first division as it was then) game I have been to, was Arsenal v Liverpool at the old Highbury. Sorry GG but I do hope either of these teams win the league, due to the fact, that as others have said, I find Man City boring, despite them having sublime players like de Bruyne and sometimes Foden.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Mon 8 Apr 14:31

Way back in 1969 I went to Highbury with my cousins and situated up the North Bank, I saw this masterpiece of a game!

Strangely Chris that runs the Former Players Association was also at the game, he was at the other end.

We both reminisced about the game and George Best, great days and not the money mine it is now!

And found on YouTube

https://youtube.com/watch?v=AMj_o9ddFF8&si=7foRwmTdlscv8f-v
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 8 Apr 15:57

Those were the days! No action replays and keepers didn`t wear gloves in dry conditions! Plenty of Scots on display too; I counted 7 in the Arsenal-Man Utd game and 4 in the Derby-Spurs game.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 8 Apr 18:19

To me it`s the same everywhere that the teams with the most money win. The difference is sometimes an underdog comes in and stirs it up. Not really a thing in England or Scotland anymore. In England the big teams could buy out the smaller teams if they wanted. Same in Scotland but with much less money.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Mon 8 Apr 19:01

I kind of think Liverpool had to win against Utd to stand a realistic chance of winning the league.
Looking at the remaining fixtures, Man City could win them all.
Perhaps Spurs away last game might be their hardest one.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 8 Apr 19:23

Quote:

Paralex, Mon 8 Apr 13:45

The only English Premiership or (first division as it was then) game I have been to was Arsenal v Liverpool at the old Highbury. Sorry GG but I do hope either of these teams win the league, due to the fact, that as others have said, I find Man City boring, despite them having sublime players like de Bruyne and sometimes Foden.

No need to apologise for anything, Paralex. The Pars are my team. I like watching the top teams in the PL and the CL because the best players can be seen in these competitions. Arsenal winning the PL would be good for the English game as they haven`t won it for many years. Man City monopolising the PL would not be good for the game there, anymore than it is for the same team to win again and again in any other country. I don`t think any honest fan would deny that even if they would love to see their team crowned as champions each and every season. Look at the Bundesliga. The vast majority of German fans will be delighted that Bayern will not be champions this season.

I don`t find any of the top English sides at all boring, any one of the top 3 will be worthy champions. It`s all about bottle now and I think it will be decided on the last day. Same could happen in Scotland, but every non OF fan is sick to the back teeth of the same two teams contesting it every season....

Jake is spot on with his post above. It`s generally the teams with the most money who occupy the top places in their domestic leagues. Not so long ago, the PL was dominated by Man U, recently it`s been City. It`s almost inevitable that Newcastle will become top dogs in the next 5 years, if not sooner.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: USMac  
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 01:45

Hard to look past City because of its depth. That City could swat Villa aside with KDB and Haaland on the bench is scary. I’d like to see Liverpool win it as a last hurrah for Klopp, but I don’t think it will happen. Would be wild if all 3 teams have a chance on the final day.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 06:27

Quote:

kelty_par, Mon 8 Apr 11:00

Sadly for right minded people the world over, Pep`s Petrostate XI will win the title, probably by 3 or 4 points. Liverpool and Arsenal will drop points - it wouldn`t surprise me if Man City wkn every game left. A horrible, financially doped club with awful fans, 115 Premier League charges pending and several Champions League charged dismissed only because their highly paid legal team delayed things to run down the clock and a proven doping cheat of a manager who loves playing up to the cameras. Wouldn`t mind Arsenal or Liverpool winning as at least their games are interesting to watch. But sadly, I can`t see either managing to hold off City.

Kelty, you`re an erudite guy and normally a sensible and rational poster, but you`ve flipped a bit with this contribution. It positively reeks of envy. Presumably, you`ll despise the Geordie Nation when the Toon take over from Man City as the top team in a few years time? Bear in mind that I predicted that City and Liverpool would overtake Man U when Pep and Klopp were appointed and Fergie retired. Allegedly, Sheikh Mansour`s wealth is small change compared to PIF, Newcastle`s owners. If so it`s only a matter of time before that money starts to talk and the bring in the best manager and best players to Tyneside.

You obviously feel strongly about clubs with huge spending powers and I get that, but where does it end? If we extrapolate that antipathy far enough, I`ll conclude that you despise Rangers and Celtic for the way they grind the other Scottish clubs down to keep them poor. How about little Ross Co, who are kept afloat by Uncle Roy? And here`s the litmus test for you;

If a megarich benefactor came in and bought the Pars this summer, brought in a top manager and a raft of elite players on mind boggling wages, would you turn your back on the team you`ve always supported?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 07:28

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Mon 8 Apr 10:54

Do you care who tops the Scottish Premiership?

Aye. Anyone but The old firm.

Ep.16 of East End Tales is out now with Steven Mill

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/14949749
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 11:45

I think Arsenal might sneak it with their goal difference helping them.They are in pole position and the only 2 points they have dropped this year was the 0-0 draw away to City.(31/33 points)
I don`t think City are as good as previous seasons, out of the three they have scored the fewest and conceded most although they are coming into form just now.I wouldn`t be putting any money on it as much will depend on how far each team goes in Europe and who gets injured.
I want Liverpool to win it but the 2 points thrown away at the weekend could be crucial.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Brucey Bonus  
Date:   Thu 11 Apr 12:27

“several Champions League charged dismissed only because their highly paid legal team delayed things to run down the clock“

Or as CAS actually noted, there was “no evidence” for the charges that were in time, which represented 90% of the value. For the remaining time barred periods CAS also noted UEFA had exactly the same “proof” which was half a dozen emails a German tabloid had copy pasted together - and that they would have given the same verdict should they have been in time.

But why let reality get in the way of a tantrum.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net