DAFC.net
Home 04 May 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Coventry v Manchester United
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 21 Apr 17:57

I must admit I gave up watching this at half-time with MU 2-0 up. Now I see they went 3-0 up but they`re now playing ET! There`s something far wrong at Old Trafford.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Coventry v Manchester United
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sun 21 Apr 18:06

Width of the bar denied Coventry a winner there

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983

Post Edited (Sun 21 Apr 18:10)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Apr 18:12

Coventry thought they’d had the winner but offside by two inches at the most

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 21 Apr 18:12

It looked pretty clear that `winner` was offside and Lee Dixon changed his mind after about ten seconds!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Sun 21 Apr 18:13

When the lines were drawn it was much closer than it looked. Offside by a toe!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Apr 18:13

Penalties

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: alwaysaPar  
Date:   Sun 21 Apr 18:14

Pretty clear ?? Did you see how tight the lines were ?

Plus the TV gantry get the VAR decisions as they are made so he was only saying what the decision was

Post Edited (Sun 21 Apr 18:14)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sun 21 Apr 18:15

More like a toe nail Berry .. gutted for them .. there is still the pens

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Sun 21 Apr 18:25

Cruel Cruel game at times

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Apr 18:26

I can’t think of a luckier manager than ETH. They have been dreadful this season

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Apr 18:32

Raymie I only saw the two halves of extra time .. But there is not one Man U player that I saw would get into that Coventry team ..

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bletchley_Par  
Date:   Sun 21 Apr 18:37

Football is now so far away from the game I fell in love with that it is only my own laziness keeping me from bailing on it.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc-chris1  
Date:   Sun 21 Apr 18:47

Champions always find a way
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 21 Apr 19:18

Quote:

dafc-chris1, Sun 21 Apr 18:47

Champions always find a way

With a lot of help from the crossbar and VAR, Chris. United haven`t been champions for a long time now. I`m gutted for Coventry and their fans. It`s unlikely they`ll be anywhere near an FA Cup final again in our lifetimes. Had they lost 3-0, nobody could have complained, but to take the game into et and come so close must have been so gutting. They were guaranteed to lose the penalty shoot out.

When it`s as close as that, the decision rests on where they freeze the action. Few frames either side and it might have been given. Very cruel on the underdogs today. I imagine City will enjoy putting United to the sword at Wembley for a second successive year.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: adj27  
Date:   Sun 21 Apr 22:32

No question Man Utd were very poor but that was a very soft penalty Coventry got at the end - surprised it wasn’t overturned by VAR. Aberdeen had 2 far stronger shouts on Saturday - couldn’t possibly give them against one of the Old Firm though.

Andy
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sun 21 Apr 22:37

An embarrassing last twenty mins plus extra time but ,yes, after seeing Grealish getting away with handball yesterday I didn`t think AWB would be penalised for the ball hitting his arm. Need to just make it an offence if the ball touches a players arm full stop. No room for misinterpretation, make it a black or white issue.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: WarringtonPar  
Date:   Sun 21 Apr 22:58

Just back from this game at Wembley. A couple of things, it was really alarming how United just switched off at 3-0 up. Players not making runs, backing out of tackles etc. totally unprofessional. I’m keen to see the replay of the tackle on Rashford that leads to his injury and the move that saw Coventry score. It looked a very poor tackle from where I was sat and surprised no free kick was given. Rashford incidentally was the main protagonist of turning off thinking the game was won. He’s been like that all season and today felt the wrath of United fans when he left the field being roundly booed and abused. The fans have had enough of him and want him gone. While the VAR decision was unfortunate for Coventry offside is offside and it can’t be ignored because it’s tough on the underdog. Best player on the park was the Coventry number 10 O Hare, who ran the game after Mainoo went off. Shame he missed his penalty but what a prospect.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neilholland999  
Date:   Mon 22 Apr 07:00

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Sun 21 Apr 22:37

An embarrassing last twenty mins plus extra time but ,yes, after seeing Grealish getting away with handball yesterday I didn`t think AWB would be penalised for the ball hitting his arm. Need to just make it an offence if the ball touches a players arm full stop. No room for misinterpretation, make it a black or white issue.

Do you not think that will just lead to even more cheating in the game? By cheating I mean opposition players deliberately aiming for a hand/arm just to get a penalty?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 22 Apr 08:33

"Do you not think that will just lead to even more cheating in the game? By cheating I mean opposition players deliberately aiming for a hand/arm just to get a penalty?"

Well the opposition will be ok against us neil our players canny hit a barn door never mind a hand :-)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Mon 22 Apr 10:32

Personally, I think football should look to hockey.

If the ball strikes the foot in the area, it`s a penalty corner, irrespective of intent - and it`s a legitimate tactic to aim for the foot.

Personally, I think the rules need to be changed. A `normal` handball would be punished by an indirect freekick, from the penalty spot - with penalty kicks only given for the most serious of handball offences (e.g Suarez and the World Cup).

It would lead to players aiming for the hand the bit more maybe, but with the punishment being less severe, it`s probably better to try and score rather than win an indirect freekick.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net