DAFC.net
Home 27 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Universal 'supposedly' Credit
Topic Originator: donj  
Date:   Wed 7 Nov 20:48

Not that I like the Mirror but this shows a bit of how bad this country has become.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/universal-credit-girl-forced-beg-13546259

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Universal 'supposedly' Credit
Topic Originator: parbucks  
Date:   Wed 7 Nov 21:53

Sorry, but there is no evidence as to what Social Services are doing currently in this particular case as there will be confidentiality issues.

This is the Mirror, a Labour mouthpiece, publicising a contact from a nine year old and a Charity spokesperson for propaganda purposes without any other input.

Universal credit will take time to bed down but without Fully understanding the circumstances of each individual case then it’s an open goal for complaints of this kind.

Post Edited (Wed 07 Nov 21:57)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Wed 7 Nov 23:16

Former Universal Credit case manager Bayard Tarpley writes about his experience working in its Grimsby call centre for two years.

Have you ever wondered if the service person on the end of the phone is being deliberately being obstructive?

Well the answer is yes. And I should know - I worked as a Universal Credit case manager where agents were trained to get people off the phone without answering their query.

The answers were from a "deflection script".

And they were not what you want to hear if you're a single mother desperate to pay your rent or face being kicked out your home.

I'll explain, but first let me take you back to the start - how I started working in Universal Credit, a system that I believe is not necessarily doomed, but is severely broken from its foundations.

I had been unemployed for about four months and ironically claiming Jobseeker's Allowance when I got the job at Universal Credit.

I had six weeks' training, in which we used a mock system filling out applications as a claimant would.

Image:There has been an outcry against Universal Credit

The dummy claims were all pretty straightforward - a single mother, one might be a man with a health condition, one might rent their home, one might own their home, and so on.

But seldom during training did we create claims in which a single mother in temporary accommodation is working a zero-hours contract, has a child on Disability Living Allowance, and who has just found out that her payment is being reduced by £147 for a tax credits overpayment from 2013.

That is a trickier one to navigate.

The training became out of date quickly - by the time we finished many of the rules had already changed, either because the unnecessarily complex IT system had been updated or policy changes - so we got given a piece of paper to pin up in our booths to let us know the new process.

Universal Credit agents encouraged to use 'deflection script' to get claimants 'off phone'

After four weeks, our training facilitators were replaced by mentors, but their advice conflicted with not just our training, but even with each other.

One mentor told me they close a claim immediately if a claimant fails to book an initial evidence appointment within the first month of the claim, while another said they give the claimant a day or two to call in.

These sound like small issues, but these can have a hugely different outcomes and can add weeks to the payment process, forcing claimants into debt, behind on their rent and the need to use food banks.

The rules around payments were interpreted differently by different agents, with some teams making different decisions, and different service centres appearing to have vastly different processes.

There were jokes about which service centres to trust when looking at notes on claims because some had a history of regularly getting things wrong.

Sign here to force leaders to debate on TV

Thousands have signed our petition for an Independent Leaders' Commission to organise election debates

Now back to getting claimants off the phone.

We were told to discourage claimants from calling and instead redirect them to the website, even when they told us they could not use the internet.

But in effect this just created even more problems, and these people, who I found where often the most vulnerable claimants, ended up being punished because they missed payments.

Each telephone agent is given a flow chart on how to deal with the problems that may arise on a call, but it was clear this is basically just a system to try and get people off the phone.

So instead we just apologised a lot while reeling out a plethora of unhelpful phrases.

The most common were:

"Put a message on your journal." (The journal is the claimant's record of everything they've done whilst claiming Universal Credit.)

"I have to send a handover."

"Speak to your work coach."

"Contact Citizens Advice Bureau."

Image:The Department for Work and Pensions denied the claims

We apologised because we couldn't help, but placated with "here's the phone number for the switcher team, debt management, the local authority, another benefit".

It really was luck of the draw for the person picking up the phone to call us.

One day an agent will be able to help, but the next day they are told not to answer anything or take any action on any claims and just send a handover to the case manager.

Time on the phone was limited and the workload meant that journal messages can take days or weeks to be answered, if they are answered at all.

Again, not ideal if you are left hundreds of pounds out of pocket when you're not flush anyway.

It's not just policies that make Universal Credit harsh and put people into hardship, the front line processes are fundamentally broken - as I mentioned above, the IT system is unable to cope with the complexities, and it is built in a way that it evades criticism because it's always "evolving".

Disenchanted with the system, I left in July 2018, but during my time at Universal Credit, not much of these processes changed other than in name, so I don't have much reason to believe these issues will have significantly changed since then.

I want to be clear, the colleagues I left behind really do care about the claimants, but they are overwhelmed and working within such a broken system it is impossible for them to do their very best for the claimants.

I hope by speaking out that I can help explain why these processes, hidden behind levels of bureaucracy, have such a devastating effect on what is often some of our country's most vulnerable and in need people.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Thu 8 Nov 17:05

Quote:

moviescot, Wed 7 Nov 23:16

Former Universal Credit case manager Bayard Tarpley writes about his experience working in its Grimsby call centre for two years.

Have you ever wondered if the service person on the end of the phone is being deliberately being obstructive?

Well the answer is yes. And I should know - I worked as a Universal Credit case manager where agents were trained to get people off the phone without answering their query.

The answers were from a "deflection script".

And they were not what you want to hear if you're a single mother desperate to pay your rent or face being kicked out your home.

I'll explain, but first let me take you back to the start - how I started working in Universal Credit, a system that I believe is not necessarily doomed, but is severely broken from its foundations.

I had been unemployed for about four months and ironically claiming Jobseeker's Allowance when I got the job at Universal Credit.

I had six weeks' training, in which we used a mock system filling out applications as a claimant would.

Image:There has been an outcry against Universal Credit

The dummy claims were all pretty straightforward - a single mother, one might be a man with a health condition, one might rent their home, one might own their home, and so on.

But seldom during training did we create claims in which a single mother in temporary accommodation is working a zero-hours contract, has a child on Disability Living Allowance, and who has just found out that her payment is being reduced by £147 for a tax credits overpayment from 2013.

That is a trickier one to navigate.

The training became out of date quickly - by the time we finished many of the rules had already changed, either because the unnecessarily complex IT system had been updated or policy changes - so we got given a piece of paper to pin up in our booths to let us know the new process.

Universal Credit agents encouraged to use 'deflection script' to get claimants 'off phone'

After four weeks, our training facilitators were replaced by mentors, but their advice conflicted with not just our training, but even with each other.

One mentor told me they close a claim immediately if a claimant fails to book an initial evidence appointment within the first month of the claim, while another said they give the claimant a day or two to call in.

These sound like small issues, but these can have a hugely different outcomes and can add weeks to the payment process, forcing claimants into debt, behind on their rent and the need to use food banks.

The rules around payments were interpreted differently by different agents, with some teams making different decisions, and different service centres appearing to have vastly different processes.

There were jokes about which service centres to trust when looking at notes on claims because some had a history of regularly getting things wrong.

Sign here to force leaders to debate on TV

Thousands have signed our petition for an Independent Leaders' Commission to organise election debates

Now back to getting claimants off the phone.

We were told to discourage claimants from calling and instead redirect them to the website, even when they told us they could not use the internet.

But in effect this just created even more problems, and these people, who I found where often the most vulnerable claimants, ended up being punished because they missed payments.

Each telephone agent is given a flow chart on how to deal with the problems that may arise on a call, but it was clear this is basically just a system to try and get people off the phone.

So instead we just apologised a lot while reeling out a plethora of unhelpful phrases.

The most common were:

"Put a message on your journal." (The journal is the claimant's record of everything they've done whilst claiming Universal Credit.)

"I have to send a handover."

"Speak to your work coach."

"Contact Citizens Advice Bureau."

Image:The Department for Work and Pensions denied the claims

We apologised because we couldn't help, but placated with "here's the phone number for the switcher team, debt management, the local authority, another benefit".

It really was luck of the draw for the person picking up the phone to call us.

One day an agent will be able to help, but the next day they are told not to answer anything or take any action on any claims and just send a handover to the case manager.

Time on the phone was limited and the workload meant that journal messages can take days or weeks to be answered, if they are answered at all.

Again, not ideal if you are left hundreds of pounds out of pocket when you're not flush anyway.

It's not just policies that make Universal Credit harsh and put people into hardship, the front line processes are fundamentally broken - as I mentioned above, the IT system is unable to cope with the complexities, and it is built in a way that it evades criticism because it's always "evolving".

Disenchanted with the system, I left in July 2018, but during my time at Universal Credit, not much of these processes changed other than in name, so I don't have much reason to believe these issues will have significantly changed since then.

I want to be clear, the colleagues I left behind really do care about the claimants, but they are overwhelmed and working within such a broken system it is impossible for them to do their very best for the claimants.

I hope by speaking out that I can help explain why these processes, hidden behind levels of bureaucracy, have such a devastating effect on what is often some of our country's most vulnerable and in need people.

Interesting read thanks for finding the time to write it
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc  
Date:   Sat 24 Nov 09:27

The irony that folk check their UC journal on their £600 mobiles!!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 24 Nov 19:59

Quote:

dafc, Sat 24 Nov 09:27

Irony is families may not have a payment until 2019... Happy Xmas DAFC
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 25 Nov 13:45

Posted from the Android app Topic Originator: Tenruh
Date: Sat 24 Nov 19:59

Quote:

Total rubbish, first payments are through a lot quicker than that, and advances even quicker, most advances before first payment through within a few days, but don't let the facts get in the way.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 25 Nov 22:03

Quote:

dafc, Sun 25 Nov 13:45

Quote:

Total rubbish, first payments are through a lot quicker than that, and advances even quicker, most advances before first payment through within a few days, but don't let the facts get in the way.

Take it you still read the Daily Mail and believe in unicorns?
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Mon 26 Nov 10:45

Quote:

dafc, Sun 25 Nov 13:45

Quote:

Really?
Hmmm....I must be imagining my mate diagnosed with Parkinson's being on week 7 without a payment.
Couldn't have been me that took money out to get a bit shopping.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Aylesbury_Par  
Date:   Mon 26 Nov 23:25

Well it appears bringing real life examples into this debate has brought it to an abrupt end.

Who would have thought that quaint ideology would still work in the era of fake news!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 27 Nov 07:12

Quote:

Aylesbury_Par, Mon 26 Nov 23:25

Well it appears bringing real life examples into this debate has brought it to an abrupt end.

Who would have thought that quaint ideology would still work in the era of fake news!

Always does on here.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 27 Nov 10:50

No point debating when folk simply make up so called real scenarios..no way has someone been waiting 7 weeks for a first payment unless they are trying to pull a fast one or haven't provided the relevant proofs required,like I said you can also request an advance payment while it's in the assessment period. Or alternatively you make up another scenario to suit the discussion.
UC certainly isn't the best process but no where near as bad as it's being reported, for a very small percentage there are issues but no difference to any other state benefit being claimed previously, there has always been issues. Biggest concern is it all being online, passwords, journal and so on, not everyone has access or is capable.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Tue 27 Nov 12:07

The advanced payment results in lower payments over a period of time. Having lived on benefits for 9 months in the past before UC was rolled out, I was living on Tesco value meals and didn't have the money to do just about anything enjoyable. UC is even worse than this in terms of payments. Its a disgusting system introduced once again to shaft the worst off in society.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 27 Nov 16:26

Quote:

dafc, Tue 27 Nov 10:50

No point debating when folk simply make up so called real scenarios..no way has someone been waiting 7 weeks for a first payment unless they are trying to pull a fast one or haven't provided the relevant proofs required,like I said you can also request an advance payment while it's in the assessment period. Or alternatively you make up another scenario to suit the discussion.
UC certainly isn't the best process but no where near as bad as it's being reported, for a very small percentage there are issues but no difference to any other state benefit being claimed previously, there has always been issues. Biggest concern is it all being online, passwords, journal and so on, not everyone has access or is capable.

Thought they all had £600 phones, surely they could manage their UC with their fancy phones ?
Or did you just quote a daily Mail headline?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 27 Nov 18:18

Quote:

dafc, Tue 27 Nov 10:50

Sorry it doesn't fit your cheerleading but he ended up waiting 9 weeks and was assessed a further twice.
9 weeks before he got a full payment.
Fact.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 27 Nov 23:40

dafc is obviously an expert as he must have claimed UC and is living quite comfortably now.He must be the only one though.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 28 Nov 07:10

DAFC....you know what my mate waited that length of time for....that NINE weeks?
£27 a fortnight.
Sure it got raised on appeal...a further 5 weeks.
You want to get into it I'll tell you all the details, you can cheerlead all you like but this is a real case,a real person.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Wed 28 Nov 07:59

UC is a nightmare. My income is due to drop dramatically from January. I knew about this in August so I went and checked the government website to see what I could get. At the time UC had not rolled out in Aberdeen. So when I checked I was able to get child tax credits for about £225 per month. UC then came to Aberdeen so I checked again and lo and behold I am now due nothing. Great system just not for the people that need it

Post Edited (Wed 28 Nov 08:00)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: mach1  
Date:   Wed 28 Nov 09:42

It's too overwhelming a topic to discuss on this type of forum, but I can assure any doubters that for some people switching benefit systems has meant unacceptably long periods without income and but for family support, council tax, fuel bills and even adequate food would be unpaid or unaffordable.

For those reliant on benefits and unable to find work that they can physically do, life is hard enough.
For a transference of systems to make things even harder and push people into bigger debts and worse (check depression and suicide rates), is tantamount to criminality.

Adding insult to injury is a person earning the obscene amounts announced last week for heading up a gaming firm and she already has been honoured by the state.
The mind just boggles.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 28 Nov 10:41

I do agree with the change in benefits that people who can work shouldn't be having a comfortable amount of income from benefits that makes it an easy choice not to work.
I don't agree that people with serious illness having to jump through hoops or have the threats of being sanctioned to get money they are entitled too to love. Sanctions while they sound good in principal as a threat they are awful in reality when people who have been sanctioned and have nothing, is that a choice though for some? Sanctions don't get handed out for nothing, but they are too severe.
The idea behind UC was a good idea but hasn't worked in practice for some. However there is tons of help out there for anyone struggling.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 28 Nov 11:31

Comfortable life is not what the people I know on benefits are living.

No holidays, no car, a struggle every Xmas, free school meals for their kids, no sinking fund for household breakdowns of cooker, washing machine etc, not able to afford any kind of 'nice' wee extras like a bus trip purely to get away from it all, now and again.
And there are many on low income jobs who fall into that category too.

There may be tons of help, but it is not easy to get, I can assure you.

Decent people are made to feel under suspicion in some cases when making claims.

Of course there's always foodbanks!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Wed 28 Nov 15:43

I do hear what you're saying Mach but isn't the benefit system supposed to be a safety net? It's not there in any shape or form to provide a comfortable lifestyle.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 28 Nov 20:19

Amazing really that most of the people commenting,myself included I suppose,have no need or experience of this benefit.
The one's with experience that have commented say it is bad so I would be inclined to think that,at least,my comments are on the correct side of the fence.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 28 Nov 23:38

I have two family members who have or still do receive benefits, one of whom has a full time, but low paid job, zero hours contract, I think they call it.

I also signed on many years ago when work came to an end and I couldn't find regular employment for four months.
It was quite humiliating at the DOLE as it was then called, but I was thankful for small mercies, particularly having a partial NI stamp paid.

Since those days I have been fortunate enough until retirement some years ago, to have been in steady employment, sometimes earning very good remuneration whilst doing hard and often interesting work.

I do acknowledge that there are some shirkers who take advantage of the system in our country, but there are many more whose day to day lives are on a knife edge, where just one or two weeks of no income can mess them up.

I hope the screwed up introduction of UC gets sorted out soon. Better still there were enough decent paid jobs for everyone to do.
And don't get me started on the myth of a minimum wage. It's an hourly rate and if you only get 20 hours a week, with no guarantee of continuity, it's a struggle.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 28 Nov 23:56

The problem with benefits.I'd guess,are the ones that the Sun/Mirror/Mail find that have never worked a day in their life.They then make the case that they are all leeches feeding off our taxes.
This is true for a few but the majority are just normal people who lost their job and would love to work again.
Treating people who paid their taxes,to supposedly, protect themselves are now treated like scum.The Tory approach to the poor I suppose.Mind you the abstain/Labor party do not strike me as any better.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Nov 00:03

Quote:

mach1, Wed 28 Nov 23:38

I have two family members who have or still do receive benefits, one of whom has a full time, but low paid job, zero hours contract, I think they call it.

I also signed on many years ago when work came to an end and I couldn't find regular employment for four months.
It was quite humiliating at the DOLE as it was then called, but I was thankful for small mercies, particularly having a partial NI stamp paid.

Since those days I have been fortunate enough until retirement some years ago, to have been in steady employment, sometimes earning very good remuneration whilst doing hard and often interesting work.

I do acknowledge that there are some shirkers who take advantage of the system in our country, but there are many more whose day to day lives are on a knife edge, where just one or two weeks of no income can mess them up.

I hope the screwed up introduction of UC gets sorted out soon. Better still there were enough decent paid jobs for everyone to do.
And don't get me started on the myth of a minimum wage. It's an hourly rate and if you only get 20 hours a week, with no guarantee of continuity, it's a struggle.

Great post, thanks for insight.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: calpar  
Date:   Sat 1 Dec 00:59

Its a sad inditement? indeed in this anno of 2018, that the minimum wage, per hour, is approx £7.83? ish

Nomatter who you work for, that is all they must pay?
Fkn repugnant when you see the continual rise in profit, and shareholders payback
My missus is on same rate more or less as above, after 10 yrs service to a multinational retail company, prior to her now being part-time, she was a floor manager, she is STILL on minimum fkn wage, Lord fkn Wolfson, take a bow, whilst I ram a fk off big tree up yer jacksy!

If they are allowed to shaft people who enjoy and are able to work, imagine what they would really like to do with those who cant?

Pay the fkn living wage, and by the way that must be at least £12 in real terms, then it may make a difference.
Liebour? Fk off, you had our best years and did fk all, shame you !

These parasites need extinguished, just to clarify, tories, capitalists & uncaring social services, you cant keep blaming cuts, its real people !
Merry fkn xmas 😡
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Sat 1 Dec 13:12

Minimum wage is a complete joke tbh. The rate of inflation on goods should mean it be increased to atleast £12/hr
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: richie5401  
Date:   Sat 1 Dec 14:09

sounds like wolfson went to the same business school as Mary Barra CP.She fired 15,000 workers from GM 3 weeks before Christmas.Whilst hoovering 22 million for herself.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: shrek par  
Date:   Sat 1 Dec 18:08

It's got to the point that universal basic income needs to be looked at properly as a possible way forward.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 2 Dec 23:15

Was Fife not one of the trial areas for this.

It makes a lot of sense in that no benefits,so no costs in assessing entitlement,and every family has an income.Everybody has income and can spend a bit means jobs and tax back.Also means some younger people can try to start their own business as they know they have an income whilst working to build it up.
The costs would be covered by getting rid of the private assessment companies who seem to make massive profits out of refusing benefits to people that can't work,then the costs of appeals that normally win.

No doubts that the Tory's would find some way to screw it up though.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 Dec 20:33

Fife is an area being considered as a trial, Cowdenbeath, Kelty being 2 areas chosen for west fife, there are others in areas of fife.
However costs seems to be a huge stumbling block, to pay every family working or non working they same income has its opponents, the local Tories are very supportive of it. They are looking for an area with high council housing, private housing, owner occupiers, people on benefits and those working FT to get a fair accurate reflection for the trial.
Costs are huge if every adult is paid the same regardless of working or not, would be a huge incentive to move house to an area selected for the trial as it's free money if your already working.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 Dec 22:06

Only free if you don't have income.Tax stays the same,so more money more tax.The idea is everybody has a basic income.Have more you pay more.I'd imagine tax changes once it was out totally but it saves an awful lot in wasted assessing or pensions.Luckily all them employed messing up peoples benefits will get it themselves when job gone.

Hardly a great incentive to up house and move though.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 Dec 00:08

If every adult in the trial area was to get say £150 per week.

If yourself and partner/wife both worked full time you would have an extra £300 per week income, yes you would pay more tax on that, but £300 per week over an above both salaries is a lot of money extra per week. Around 15k per year for a working couple.

If one of the small towns were chosen as a trial area for say 3 years wouldn't there be people looking to live in the trial area who are employed to receive over 1k extra a month simply for living in the trial area, house prices would have a small initial boom in that area too I'd imagine.
I'm sure a lot of people would move a few miles for effectively free money especially those already fully employed, they have everything to gain, no downside at all.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pacifist  
Date:   Sat 15 Dec 17:23

Doubt if the Tories are in favour of UBI. Their Holyrood spokesperson said that whoever introduced it should be jailed for wasting public money. UC is an absolute disaster and the extent of it is shown by the massive increase in foodbank use.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net