DAFC.net
Home 27 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Kevin Keegan
Topic Originator: BA  
Date:   Thu 5 Oct 23:28

He’s in the news today for comments made re female footballers being pundits on the men’s game. Whether you agree with him or not, fair play to him for sharing his opinion even if it’s going against the grain - many wouldn’t!

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Kevin Keegan
Topic Originator: Ormiston_Par  
Date:   Thu 5 Oct 23:49

Rubbish. The man is a slavering, toxic old dinosaur.

He will end up getting cancelled by the media for this, and deservedly so - the daft old goat has been round the track enough times to know better, especially when it comes to shooting one`s mouth off in the heat of the moment, or without thinking. He`s got previous in that department.

Harry Enfield and Paul Whitehouse were ahead of the curve on this issue - their skits about "Women, know your limits" and more recently, "Where`s the bloke love?" were holding up a mirror to this sort of outdated, chauvanistic behaviour years ago.

Post Edited (Thu 05 Oct 23:52)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Thu 5 Oct 23:50

He`s entitled to his opinion but I do think he is wrong. The women pundits are every bit as good , or bad for that matter , as the men. In fact Leanne Crichton is one of the best in Scotland in my opinion.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Row_ZZ  
Date:   Fri 6 Oct 00:04

Think people like Jill Scott have been decent. Laura Woods and Leanne Crichton are also very good at their jobs. There are some ex female players that are drawl, just like there are some right drawl male commentators. Don’t see the need for these comments whatsoever from Keegan. Ozymandias stuff with these ex pros on the wrong side of 50 (probably wishing players could still two foot each other and play in short shorts like the 80s)

"A smile might be good!"
"Nothing to smile about in my life"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bletchley_Par  
Date:   Fri 6 Oct 02:39

I`m sure he is saying what many think but are afraid to do so.

Plenty good pundits who are female who are let down by diversity hires who are terrible.

Lineker is the great leveller for me, I`d happily have an all female presenting team if it meant being spared having to suffer him.

Leanne Crichton is one of the best pundits, would hate to lose her to the women`s game.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Fri 6 Oct 07:06

"Lineker is the great leveller for me, I`d happily have an all female presenting team if it meant being spared having to suffer him."

That`s quite a strange take when he`s by far the best presenter around. When you see the likes of Mark Pougatch, Alex Scott, Jane Humphreys etc hosting it`s like night and day. The natural successor to Des Lynam. It`s only really James Richardson (and if you go to other sports Gary Imlach) that are as good a host as Lineker is.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JamesAndrew74  
Date:   Fri 6 Oct 08:14

Quote:

kelty_par, Fri 6 Oct 07:06

"Lineker is the great leveller for me, I`d happily have an all female presenting team if it meant being spared having to suffer him."

That`s quite a strange take when he`s by far the best presenter around. When you see the likes of Mark Pougatch, Alex Scott, Jane Humphreys etc hosting it`s like night and day. The natural successor to Des Lynam. It`s only really James Richardson (and if you go to other sports Gary Imlach) that are as good a host as Lineker is.

Huge difference between presenting and commentating, some seem to be mixing this up.

Laura Woods is an excellent presenter/anchor, wouldn’t be a good commentator. I agree with keegan, there is no like for like scenarios that women can make work. They haven’t played the game at the level of pressures the man have, its near enough different sports.

The only reason women are there the last few years is a box tick for the woke brigade.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Fri 6 Oct 09:22

I find myself disagreeing with JamesAndrew and Bletchley Par. If Parboiled could come along and back them up, that would be the ultimate franking of being on the side of right.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Fri 6 Oct 09:25

Good rule of thumb is that the person to first use the word woke is almost certainly going to be wrong!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: theparsman1885  
Date:   Fri 6 Oct 09:29

In my experience, people who use the words “woke” and “snowflake” without any hint of irony, are generally the stupidest people in the room, and ironically most likely to be offended. 😂

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Fri 6 Oct 09:41

Quote:

theparsman1885, Fri 6 Oct 09:29

In my experience, people who use the words “woke” and “snowflake” without any hint of irony, are generally the stupidest people in the room, and ironically most likely to be offended. 😂

The right throw about those terms to mean `easily offended` but the irony is, nobody shouts to the heavens louder than they do when they are seemingly wronged or disagree with something
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Athletico  
Date:   Fri 6 Oct 10:05

Paul Merson is up there as being the most utterly useless pundits to grace our screens. Needless to say, he gets nowhere near the amount of abuse if Karen Carney makes a comment on a game.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: alwaysaPar  
Date:   Fri 6 Oct 10:23

Quote:

Athletico, Fri 6 Oct 10:05

Paul Merson is up there as being the most utterly useless pundits to grace our screens. Needless to say, he gets nowhere near the amount of abuse if Karen Carney makes a comment on a game.

In your opinion, what makes him useless ??
He actually comes across very tactically aware
Was one of the first people to call out Harry Maguires price tag
He actually recognises ability in players

Post Edited (Fri 06 Oct 10:24)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 Oct 10:38

Quote:

alwaysaPar, Fri 6 Oct 10:23

Quote:

He also thought De Bruyne`s price tag was ridiculous when he signed for City.

Two direct quotes, there are many more:

"Arsenal are in a tough competition for fourth, with the likes of Spurs, Everton and Arsenal"

"Yaya Toure is an average player. Does he score goals? No. Does he assist them? No."

Post Edited (Fri 06 Oct 10:39)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 Oct 10:48

Quote:

Athletico, Fri 6 Oct 10:38

Quote:

alwaysaPar, Fri 6 Oct 10:23

Quote:

He also thought De Bruyne`s price tag was ridiculous when he signed for City.

Two direct quotes, there are many more:

"Arsenal are in a tough competition for fourth, with the likes of Spurs, Everton and Arsenal"

"Yaya Toure is an average player. Does he score goals? No. Does he assist them? No."

`Paul Merson has issued an apology and admitted he got it "horribly wrong" after he claimed Manchester City`s signing of Kevin De Bruyne in 2015 was an "absolute joke".`

Big enough to admit it.....

So he gets predictions wrong and has his opinion that he believes in

I`d rather have that than the usual clichéd pundits that are on..
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 Oct 10:52

Being big enough to admit you`re wrong is an admirable quality...still doesn`t make him a good pundit though.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 Oct 10:54

Quote:

Athletico, Fri 6 Oct 10:52

Being big enough to admit you`re wrong is an admirable quality...still doesn`t make him a good pundit though.

I totally get your opinion, but as I said, I prefer his honesty rather than the usual robotic pundits
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 Oct 10:57

Merson is guff. Up there with Hansen and Shearer for being an absolute mouth breather of a pundit
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 Oct 11:05

Quote:

Andrew283, Fri 6 Oct 10:57

Merson is guff. Up there with Hansen and Shearer for being an absolute mouth breather of a pundit

Thanks for your usual constructive input......
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Geordiepar  
Date:   Fri 6 Oct 11:12

Merson is an absolute tool. Only thing he provides is a good laugh at how awful his insights are.

When Howe was appointed Newcastle he was 100% that they were certain to be relegated. Then the next season they would struggle not to be relegated - they came fourth. Even now they were his pick to be this seasons underachievers. He always let’s his own biases cloud everything he says. No objectivity, no intelligence and how he gets paid to talk utter **** is beyond me

Post Edited (Fri 06 Oct 11:17)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1985Par  
Date:   Fri 6 Oct 11:32

It would be nice if Keegan could make his comments without the all-too predictable virtue signalling frenzy that usually accompanies these things.

I agree with him. I watched a bit of the women`s world cup. All the games I saw had a female commentator and a female co-commentator, ie someone who had played women`s football at elite level and was able to give some worthwhile insight into what I was watching. Both commentary and pundits panel was heavily female biased - no problem. It`s a woman`s game of football and a woman`s insight adds value.

When I`m watching premier league games, I`d rather those making comment on what I`m seeing have been there, done that and at that level.

There are many excellent female presenters who anchor the show admirably -Laura Woods, Kelly Cates, Gabby Logan, Clare Balding and even Alex Scott is growing on me, but too often it is glaringly obvious that SKY, BBC or whatever channel are prioritising ticking the diversity box when it comes to punditry.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 Oct 11:35

Quote:

alwaysaPar, Fri 6 Oct 11:05

Quote:

Sorry my opinion differs from your own, oh wise one...
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Fri 6 Oct 13:09

Heres the real question - why is it ok for females to commentate/do punditry on the mens game, but every growingly less men commentating/doing punditry on the womens game?

Surely equality swings both ways?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Row_ZZ  
Date:   Fri 6 Oct 13:18

Don’t think men are allowed to referee women’s games either.

"A smile might be good!"
"Nothing to smile about in my life"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 6 Oct 13:23

Men referee most women`s games in Scotland but I`m not sure that there are too many female officials just now.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Fri 6 Oct 13:34

Maybe male pundits / commentators don’t want to be involved in the women’s game? It wouldn’t be fair to assume they’re “not allowed”.

I like Leanne Crichton’s involvement with the men’s game - I could listen to her all day. She throws in humour, too, and I think she and Kenny McIntyre would be a good joint Saturday team for Sportsound.

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Fri 6 Oct 13:36

Quote:

buffy, Fri 6 Oct 13:34

Maybe male pundits / commentators don’t want to be involved in the women’s game? It wouldn’t be fair to assume they’re “not allowed”.

I like Leanne Crichton’s involvement with the men’s game - I could listen to her all day. She throws in humour, too, and I think she and Kenny McIntyre would be a good joint Saturday team for Sportsound.

I think Kenny McIntyre would be better thrown into the sea. Get Richard Gordon back.

Ep.16 of East End Tales is out now with Steven Mill

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/14949749
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: theparsman1885  
Date:   Fri 6 Oct 13:41

EastEndTales wrote:

>
Quote:

>
> Maybe male pundits / commentators don’t want to be involved
> in the women’s game? It wouldn’t be fair to assume
> they’re “not allowed”.
>
> I like Leanne Crichton’s involvement with the men’s game -
> I could listen to her all day. She throws in humour, too, and I
> think she and Kenny McIntyre would be a good joint Saturday
> team for Sportsound.

>
> I think Kenny McIntyre would be better thrown into the sea. Get
> Richard Gordon back.
>
>

I agree. The show has become almost unlistenable since he took over. Looks for drama at every single point. It’s awful.

He can take David Currie with him too. Another awful presenter with the worst stilted delivery ever.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Fri 6 Oct 13:45

Quote:

That may be the case - I dont know the actual answer, was just a wondering :) I agree that Leanne Crichton is a good listen though, and there are good female presenters out there.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Fri 6 Oct 13:47

I was Team Mitchell when the vacancy arose - when RG skedaddled north to be the Cove FC Media Officer - but I’ve warmed to Kenny (and his troop). I also thought Liam McLeod was in with a shout, too.

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 6 Oct 14:01

Richard Gordon is head and shoulders above any other presenter in Scotland. I thought he was lost to us when it was announced he was leaving Saturday Sportsound but thankfully he`s still covering other days. I find most of the others a turn-off.

I do like Leanne Crichton as a co-commentator but she seems to have taken on a studio role most of the time now which is a waste I think.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 6 Oct 14:25

Quote:

Andrew283, Fri 6 Oct 11:35

Quote:

alwaysaPar, Fri 6 Oct 11:05

Quote:

Sorry my opinion differs from your own, oh wise one...

I literally said thank you, no need for you to apologise, but thanks for the unwarranted compliment 👍
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Lambo1885  
Date:   Fri 6 Oct 15:08

Tbf, we could do with a clear out of some of the male co-comms.... The comments and `insight` makes you wonder how they got to the top.... Keown, Hartson and Savage have to be the worst.... Lee Dixon`s commentary should be used as an insomnia cure.

Some of the female co-comms are pretty good. Like said above, in Scotland, Leanne Crichton is really good... Emma Hayes is normal pretty informative... Karen Carney and Eni Aluko are awfully tho.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Fri 6 Oct 15:32

"Heres the real question - why is it ok for females to commentate/do punditry on the mens game, but every growingly less men commentating/doing punditry on the womens game?

Surely equality swings both ways?"

For many years the presenters, commentary team and pundits for women`s games were all male. Now the majority - but by all means not all - are female. Just like in the men`s game, the majority - but not all - are male. Seems fair enough to me.

To counter what JamesAndrew said upthread, that "They haven’t played the game at the level of pressures the man have, its near enough different sports." - I`d wager that Alex Scott faced more pressure playing for England in a World Cup semi final and a home Olympics for GB than the likes of John Hughes, Alan Preston etc have faced. Even then, are we interested in how if feels or what`s actually happening and why? I`d much rather hear someone like Jonathan Wilson talk about why something happened in a game than Pat Bonnar and one of them hasn`t played professionally at all.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Fri 6 Oct 16:42

I agree with Kevin…

clearly you need a dangly bits between your legs to be able to understand this game and therefore be qualified to talk about it!

Without said dangly bits, you simply won’t understand how an individual and/or team are able to get a ball into a defined goal area whilst at the same time preventing the other team doing the same.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1985Par  
Date:   Fri 6 Oct 20:38

You wouldn’t see a premier league game with a male presenter, male commentator, male co-comms supplemented by a 3- man panel yet there are 6 women currently filling those roles in the wsl game between Man U and Arsenal. Not a fella in sight. Presumably this is what the paying audience want?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Fri 6 Oct 20:49

Maybe the growth in female pundits ,reflects the growth in women, girls going to football now , to make them supporting or watching feel included.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 6 Oct 21:06

In Scotland we don`t discriminate based on sex. We don`t care if our football is covered by a male or a female, just so long as they played for Rangers or Celtic 😉
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Fri 6 Oct 22:08

I can see where he is coming from. There are a few women that are on, that are terrible at the punditry and presenting, Alex Scott for one, and the other one that sounds like she should be some kind of South London Yardie Gangsters Moll. Too many people are on telly to fill a quota. Clinton Morriston for example. It`s all a box ticking exercise
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: thenatural  
Date:   Fri 6 Oct 22:20

I must be in a minority. I like Morrison’s patter. He’s funny and seems to have an awareness of the ridiculousness of the whole circus. The story about him winding up Liverpool players by implying he was as good as Michael Owen’s a good one.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net