DAFC.net
Home 09 May 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Football`s Ups and Downs
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 22 Oct 08:37

Like almost every other Pars fans, I left EEP frustrated and disappointed by the team`s disjointed performance yesterday. A good number of fans were visibly quite angry, too. That`s their right, but it`s misplaced in my humble one. It`s not as if the players weren`t trying or McPake set them up to deliberately lose the game. The manager gave a very honest post-match assessment, and he`s not hiding from his part in it.

It`s hard to believe that this was almost the same team that demolished Morton, even allowing for the fact that Ayr is probably a better team. Sometimes we forget that the players are not robots or machines, and their performances will vary from week to week, especially among the younger ones with little experience at this level. Confidence is hugely important. It would have been high after the Morton game, but would have been significantly dented at Firhill. Yesterday, we should have been in front before Ayr scored. Might have made it a completely different game - we`ll never know.

The danger now is that we have a difficult run of games coming up, Raith and Morton away, followed by Dundee United at home. We don`t want the players going into these games thinking they could lose them. This is where McPake and Mackay must earn their corn and prepare the team so that the players not only believe they can win these games, but they are set up in a way that gives them a good chance of doing so.

We have a very astute management team. I believe they can turn our fortunes around starting next week.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Football`s Ups and Downs
Topic Originator: Pars11  
Date:   Sun 22 Oct 20:17

There is not a huge difference in a below average performance and a good one. We showed a few flashes of flair in the game but in general never recovered from the awful defending that gifted the goal. Man of the Match award was a real happy clappers one, it should have went to Ayr`s Logan Chalmers. I am more concerned that we have The Wee Team on the back of 2 bad displays. Benedictus presence is missed by the team.

Bluebell Polka
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Sun 22 Oct 21:29

The sponsor`s man of the match award is always for a Pars player.

I`m sure everyone in the stadium would have picked an Ayr player if it was open for all.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Sun 22 Oct 22:20

Quote:

GG Riva, Sun 22 Oct 08:37

Like almost every other Pars fans, I left EEP frustrated and disappointed by the team`s disjointed performance yesterday. A good number of fans were visibly quite angry, too. That`s their right, but it`s misplaced in my humble one. It`s not as if the players weren`t trying or McPake set them up to deliberately lose the game. The manager gave a very honest post-match assessment, and he`s not hiding from his part in it.

It`s hard to believe that this was almost the same team that demolished Morton, even allowing for the fact that Ayr is probably a better team. Sometimes we forget that the players are not robots or machines, and their performances will vary from week to week, especially among the younger ones with little experience at this level. Confidence is hugely important. It would have been high after the Morton game, but would have been significantly dented at Firhill. Yesterday, we should have been in front before Ayr scored. Might have made it a completely different game - we`ll never know.

The danger now is that we have a difficult run of games coming up, Raith and Morton away, followed by Dundee United at home. We don`t want the players going into these games thinking they could lose them. This is where McPake and Mackay must earn their corn and prepare the team so that the players not only believe they can win these games, but they are set up in a way that gives them a good chance of doing so.

We have a very astute management team. I believe they can turn our fortunes around starting next week.

My own thought was disappointment, not so much with the result but , for the first time at East End, the team didn’t scrap for every loose ball or defend their line of defence.

It was frustrating and our weak midfield was exposed big time.

Ben Summers was given too much responsibility in a deeper role when he should be playing off the attackers.
He’s not a grafter or ball winner but was asked to play that role.
With all the injuries, I’d say route one should have been the preferred option than playing out of defence.
Sometimes ugly isn’t that bad.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 23 Oct 06:26

We sometimes forget that James McPake and Dave Mackay are still relatively young and inexperienced. They`re on a steep learning curve and will learn more in defeat than they will during a good performance and a win - they will be aware of each player`s strengths and talents from previous games and daily training sessions.

We`ve won 3 and lost 3 of our 8 league games so far - not great, but not disastrous so far, considering we`ve had to make do without our inspirational captain, the talismanic Matty Todd who provides so much energy going forward and the mercurial, potential match winner, KRH.

It`s thin margins, as Pars11 points out further up. The Championship is a tight, competitive league. In previous years, any team winning half of it`s 36 league games has easily made the top 4. Once we get our injured players back, we`ll be able to go toe to toe with any team in this league, including Dundee United.

Let`s all keep the faith......

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Mon 23 Oct 07:36

That`s what annoyed me AAPS. At one point in the second half I asked my old man of we`d actually won a second ball at any point in the match and neither of us could remember an instance of that happening. Ayr looked sharper and quicker and closed us down whereas our press looked laboured and our reactions sluggish. It was that, and our lack of organisation/positional awareness that was reminiscent of the Oeter Grant era. Shudder.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bannockburn Par  
Date:   Mon 23 Oct 08:27

We have lost the last two matches to better teams. We are under the illusion we are a top championship team. Benny, Matty Tod and KRH will definitely help us but it won’t suddenly turn us into a top four side.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 23 Oct 08:36

The question is - who are the top four sides? United obviously and possibly the Rovers but what about third and fourth? Partick beat us easily but the previous week lost 3-0 at home to Arbroath and since they beat us have drawn 0-0 at ICT and lost 5-0 at home to United. No other teams have any consistency yet and, at full strength, we have as good a chance as any of making the play-offs.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Mon 23 Oct 08:58

Well become a top championship side but I think it`ll be next season.

Ep.16 of East End Tales is out now with Steven Mill

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/14949749
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Mon 23 Oct 10:00

If Jukubiak scores from 8 yards out with 99% of the goals available to hit, we probably get a point and much of the analysis of our formation etc doesn`t happen (not having a go)

Football is all about scoring goals when you get chances.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 23 Oct 10:04

Quote:

da_no_1, Mon 23 Oct 10:00

If Jukubiak scores from 8 yards out with 99% of the goals available to hit, we probably get a point and much of the analysis of our formation etc doesn`t happen (not having a go)

Can`t argue with that tbf, although I really think the shape was disjointed throughout and causing us as many issues as Ayr did themselves.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Mon 23 Oct 10:35

Quote:

da_no_1, Mon 23 Oct 10:00

If he scores that it might have given us the lift to push on for the win! Unfortunately, for us, these things happen.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Mon 23 Oct 10:49

We should look a very different side when Bene, Todd, and KRH are available. But in the meantime, our current line-up seems far from being a top 4 contender. As others have said, this is a very tight league; two or three losses on the trot can see a team plunge into the danger zone.

The memories from two seasons ago are still painfully fresh. Let`s not have misplaced optimism and complacency like last time. The last couple of games show we have some serious tactical issues to address. Other teams have sussed us out, so our management team must make significant tactical changes for the Rovers game and beyond.

Just look at the Ayr goal on the highlights and the space we give them. If ever there was an illustration of how not to play three at the back, it is this. Let`s see four at the back until Bene returns.

And then have a look at McCann`s free-kick in the second half. He gave a good delivery, and Aaron Comrie did what was sensible; he headed it across the face of the goal. But where was our centre forward? He was standing on the penalty spot! Ask yourself, where would Nicky Clark have been? Or John Watson? Or Ross Jack? Or Sandy McNaughton? Or Pat Gardner? Or Alex Ferguson? Or Charlie Dickson?

Jeeeezo! Their goalkeeper was having trouble facing the setting sun. Any forward worth his salt would be hovering inside the six-yard box.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 23 Oct 11:18

I was screaming at the laptop and us to pile our corners on top of the goalie when the sun was blinding him.
Instead, one of them we play short and give the ball away. Utterly pathetic stuff from a team at this level.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Mon 23 Oct 12:19

"although I really think the shape was disjointed throughout and causing us as many issues as Ayr did themselves"

"If ever there was an illustration of how not to play three at the back, it is this. Let`s see four at the back until Bene returns."

will combine those two quotes, its been that way defensively in every game including when Benedictus was fit, some games worse than others but its not as if teams are doing anything special or making little tweaks against us either.

last season they specifically changed to a back 4 against Falkirk and Airdrie because of how they set up, this season with every team setting up in similar ways we have stuck with the 3 by choice, after the Partick game it should have been changed but wasnt, will it be the same again at Raith? it doesnt guarantee a win, a better performance etc but at the moment it almost feels as if we are shooting ourselves in both feet never mind just one.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 23 Oct 13:07

We`ve lost 9 goals in 8 league games, the same as the Rovers. Only United are better than that. I`m not sure defence is the main area of concern.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net