DAFC.net
Home 08 September 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Fastest Pars goals
Topic Originator: McCaig`s Tower  
Date:   Sun 5 Nov 14:12

After Friday night I thought I’d devote a thread to this – I think we may have had one previously (a thread on this topic, that is) but it was a while ago.

There are a number of “1st minute” goals listed on the Pars Database, but it’s not clear how early these were. A lot of goals don’t have the time listed.

In particular:

Charlie Dickson is reputed to have scored after 10 seconds v Celtic at EEP on 19 March 1960 (according to contemporaneous reports). We had a new boss that day.

Charlie D also scored in the first minute a week later (according to the Pars DataBase) and Jim Kerray added a second in the next minute. I’m not sure if there are other occasions where the Pars were two up after 2 minutes. Presumably it was all downhill for the new manager after that…

According to press reports Jackie Sinclair scored after 15 seconds in a League Cup tie at Tynecastle on 14 August 1974, on his way to a first half hat-trick. The Pars DataBase has this as the 5th minute however. I note Dick Campbell and Jim Leishman both played in that game – maybe they can remember.

Andy Tod scored in the 36th second in a cup replay v East Fife on 18 January 2005 (I was there).

Moffat’s goals credited as “20 seconds” – I timed it as 21 seconds – i.e. in the 22nd second. (On that note it is always confusing when a group of fans decides to have a round of applause in the 16th minute for example, when you don’t know if they actually mean the 17th minute (i.e. actually after 16 minutes) or the actual 16th minute. There was one the other week which seemed to start 2 minutes early and fizzled out.)

Does anyone know of any other quick Pars goals?

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Fastest Pars goals
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sun 5 Nov 15:10

Charlie D’s goal against Celtic was very early - he hopefully chased a through ball and as Billy McNeill and keeper John Fallon hesitated he nicked in and prodded home.

Not as quick as 10 seconds though - that was a guesstimate I reckon.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Sun 5 Nov 15:22

I remember the cup replay against East Fife and that`s the only one I recall that would come close to Friday`s goal. Notable mention for our first home game after the closed-doors season where we beat Dumbarton in a league cup game. We were 2-0 up very early, though I think the goals were given as 2nd and 3rd minute.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 5 Nov 15:27

Not much help to the OP, but I was at a game v Clyde in the mid-60s (Eric Martin was in goal), and the Pars were 4-0 up after 12-13 mins.

A man came in late and asked if there had been any goals yet. When I told him it was 4-0 he volunteered to kick my @rse for being a cheeky wee bassa. 😀😀🙄

Eta - The pitch and ball were wet and slippery. It wasn't a great day to be a goalie. The game finished 6-4 for the Pars.

Not your average Sunday League player.

Post Edited (Mon 06 Nov 06:04)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 5 Nov 16:20

From the Pars Database, GGR :-

20/11/65 Clyde (H) 6 - 4 Paton (4, 7), Edwards (5), Robertson (15), Smith (32), Ferguson (55)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Sun 5 Nov 17:08

Doesn`t count but Darren Young scored about 20 seconds into the 2nd half against St Mirren one time under JC.

Ep.17 of East End Tales is out now with Andrius Skerla

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/15082607
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parplod  
Date:   Sun 5 Nov 23:00

Back in the early 80s we were 2 up in 3 minutes - against Berwick? - with Scott Leitch getting one of them. We ended up winning 3-2.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Mon 6 Nov 12:21

Might be imagining this but wasn`t there a chap who made his way up at the end of each season for the last home game and presented a trophy to acknowledge the player to score the quickest goal that season?

Going back sometime, maybe 10+ years, no idea if it's still a thing (or if it ever was!) but it's in my mind from somewhere....

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."

Post Edited (Mon 06 Nov 12:23)
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Mon 6 Nov 12:48

Quote:

TAFKA_Super_Petrie, Mon 6 Nov 12:21

Might be imagining this but wasn`t there a chap who made his way up at the end of each season for the last home game and presented a trophy to acknowledge the player to score the quickest goal that season?

Going back sometime, maybe 10+ years, no idea if it`s still a thing (or if it ever was!) but it`s in my mind from somewhere....

This definitely happened at some point as I remember Hamish French getting this award one year.

Ep.17 of East End Tales is out now with Andrius Skerla

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/15082607
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Tue 7 Nov 14:48

in the paton era im sure Stewart Petrie scored in the opening 15-20 seconds.

Can remember us being both 2-0 up and 2-0 down inside opening 10 mins in seperate games against Dundee at Dens park. In true dunfermline fashion we lost the game we were ahead and won the game we were behind.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wjmcm  
Date:   Wed 15 Nov 22:24

Paid at the gate, west end. Got up to terracing. Watched kick off and raced along behind the enclosure. I was speedy in those days.Just as I had run the 50 yards Charlie had scored. Definitely around 10 secs. Jock Stein`s first game and our opponents were Celtic.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Wed 15 Nov 22:37

wjmcm,

My late father`s memory is much the same. From K.O. Cammy Fraser hit a deep ball missed by Bobby Evans and Charlie D did the rest. The Stein had begun.

sammer
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net