DAFC.net
Home 19 September 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Progress
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 17 Dec 07:32

It`s not always easy to look at the bigger picture, particularly after a disappointing result, especially at home.

Progress is synonymous with improvement. It`s not always linear and in football, often has bumps along the way. The important thing is to be able to look back and see that the club is in a better place than it was than say a year ago.

When James McPake was appointed, we had just been relegated. Today, we are 4th in the Championship. Nobody can deny that we are heading in an upward direction, and therefore progress is being made. Minimum progress would be consolidation of our Championship status by avoiding relegation. I`m sure the club`s ambition will be to finish in the top 4 and earn a shot at promotion via the playoffs. If we don`t manage to achieve that this season, I would expect us to improve on that next season and either gain promotion or go very close, as Partick did last season.

If we keep improving, year on year, we will reach the Premiership. After that, we build a squad that can compete in the top flight, and every Pars fan will be happy.....

Or maybe not. 🤔

Not your average Sunday League player.

Post Edited (Sun 17 Dec 07:33)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Progress
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Sun 17 Dec 08:28

Aye good luck with that. We could lift the Scottish Cup, finish 3rd and if the following season we struggled against relegation you`d have a number of roasters foaming at the mouth.

Ep.17 of East End Tales is out now with Andrius Skerla

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/15082607
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sun 17 Dec 09:11

We are marking time as a mid table side in a generally average league.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Sun 17 Dec 09:13

Interesting post this. Had we appointed mcpake instead of yogi I think we wouldn’t have been relegated. We didn’t rebuild last season we added bene and essentially we still haven’t as we extended players contracts. competent leadership that has returned us to where we are now rather than bringing in more quality.

6 of yesterdays team played in the relegation team, comrie to be included too.

We look like competing for 4th this season and should at least not be involved in any battles down the bottom. Looking at the signings I don’t think we would have been far away from this anyway even if we bought no one in the summer. Only otoo has been a regular.

Next season and getting a little bit of improvement will be interesting, given the vast majority of this same squad is already tied up. In my view mcpake has been too loyal to last seasons team and to players brought in that he and his assistant knew. The net will need to be cast wider to get better experience in and I’m not sure the budget will be there until the season after next.

Post Edited (Sun 17 Dec 09:18)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: hudza  
Date:   Sun 17 Dec 09:18

Injuries have been a disaster this season for us, missing so many of our better players all season so will expect to further improve if we manage to get them all back. Will also allow us to get Summers, Otoo or Hamilton into midfield as the current pairing of Allan and Chalmers just doesn’t cut it. Otoo and Hamilton have done well in defence this season as well but midfield is an issue just now.
Our home form is a worry, we also always seem to be absolutely honking in the first half most weeks.Need a striker in Jan as our current crop aren’t up to it at this level but feel the remainder of the team will improve once the injured players start to return.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Sun 17 Dec 09:25

Injuries and illness now have combined to be the worst set of circumstances I think I can remember.

Despite that we`re in 4th, which is equal to our highest league finish in over ten years (I think, I`m tired and hungover).
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: weemike  
Date:   Sun 17 Dec 09:31

Allan and chalmers have managed to get a club to 4th in the league,to say they don`t cut it is just wrong.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 17 Dec 09:35

I would add we have McCann, wighton and o’hallaran signed up for next season, who’s going to score the goals? We can’t change much upfront unless you can offload. Same goes for GK.

At this rate and despite missing a large chunk of the season, matty Todd will finish our top goalscorer.

This is the problem hudza, we do need a striker but we already have 4 on the books who mcpake placed his faith in, each not good enough to play as a striker in top half championship.

Post Edited (Sun 17 Dec 09:43)
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Sun 17 Dec 09:39

Wee Mike I would suggest it’s been the likes of Hamilton and Edwards who have managed to get the club to 4th.

Allan and chalmers will only take you so far. You a big fan of non contact sports by any chance?

The post below replying to me is by one of .nets finest champions of mediocrity!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 17 Dec 10:26

Quote:

Berkey, Sun 17 Dec 09:39

Wee Mike I would suggest it’s been the likes of Hamilton and Edwards who have managed to get the club to 4th.

Allan and chalmers will only take you so far. You a big fan of non contact sports by any chance?

Allan and chalmers have been our midfield pair nearly all season,

they are 4th this season on merit.

Therefore they can hold their own and "cut it"

Will they win the league? Probably not.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 17 Dec 10:37

By your logic we can say we are 4th with mehmet in goals. So mehmet can clearly hold his own and “cut it” at this level.

When we have a fully fit squad they won’t both be starting in midfield.

The post below replying to me is by one of .nets finest champions of mediocrity!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 17 Dec 10:46

Quote:

Berkey, Sun 17 Dec 10:37

By your logic we can say we are 4th with mehmet in goals. So mehmet can clearly hold his own and “cut it” at this level.

When we have a fully fit squad they won’t both be starting in midfield.

Mehmet has only played half the games this season and gifted goals in every second one,

He cannot even fulfil the managers remit of playing out from the back as he lacks the confidence with the ball at his feet.

We are 4th in spite of Mehmet.

Chalmers and Allan would both be playing for another championship club if not playing for us.

Could you say the same about Mehmet?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sun 17 Dec 10:50

Quote:

veteraneastender, Sun 17 Dec 09:11

We are marking time as a mid table side in a generally average league.

Have to say it`s hard to argue with this, but at the start of the season I'd have taken that.

Shocked that Mr Negativity himself is all over any thread that attempts to lift our spirits on this manky morning

And posted missing last week when we win

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"

Post Edited (Sun 17 Dec 11:14)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Sun 17 Dec 11:06

We are in the playoffs at the moment without really improving our squad from last season. We are arguably weaker with all the injuries! Some performances could have been better but if you offered me 4th at this point in the season before a ball was kicked I would be delighted.

I don’t believe for a moment that McPake’s aim is to avoid relegation.. That’s just to take pressure off the players. I’d say mid-table/playoffs is the minimum we should expect this season and hopefully we can aim higher next season.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Alter Ego  
Date:   Sun 17 Dec 20:08

Tbh is season is just to stay in the Championship while the Academy development gets set up etc. if we make the playoffs then good as that’s extra ££££ in the bank.
Raith are getting money pumped into them but there is no real sustainability even if they got promoted… their stadium is a s**thole and needs upgrading. If we stay in the Championship then hope Falkirk go up.

Mon the Pars!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 17 Dec 20:57

"Have to say it`s hard to argue with this, but at the start of the season I`d have taken that."

It`s home results that are keeping us out of challenging for third place - 9 points from a possible 24, 11 goals for/9 against is poor.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 17 Dec 21:16

`It`s home results that are keeping us out of challenging for third place - 9 points from a possible 24, 11 goals for/9 against is poor.`

That`s a change from your usual mantra that `the table doesn`t lie` - or did you mean the table relating to home games?

It doesn`t really matter where you win the points but it`s usually assumed that they`re easier to get at home. Last season and so far this season we have confounded that logic. An improvement in home form would be welcome though.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 17 Dec 22:14

"That`s a change from your usual mantra that `the table doesn`t lie` - or did you mean the table relating to home games?"

Which bit can`t you follow ?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 17 Dec 22:29

Two seasons ago it didn`t matter what our home form was. Our overall league position determined our fate. It`s the same this season surely?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 17 Dec 22:40

We`ve certainly made progess over 2021/22.

Is it a co-incidence that the three clubs above in the league have all beaten us at EEP ?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 17 Dec 22:47

Two of them also beat us away from home and the other away game was a draw. In League football it`s not unusual to lose to teams in a higher position in the table. I suppose there`s a `chicken or egg` argument there.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: hurricane_jimmy  
Date:   Mon 18 Dec 06:46

Interesting post GG.

Was McPake actually available at the time that Peter Grant was booted? Honestly can`t remember!

I can honestly say that in my time watching the Pars (which is back to the end of the Calderwood era) that I`ve never had as much confidence in the management team to take the team forward as I do with McPake and MacKay.

Of the nearest contenders:
-McIntyre did a good job building the Championship-winning squad but really was a rabbit in the headlights if a Plan B was needed and I just found him unlikeable.
- Allan Johnstone did a decent job but stagnated and seemed to be a really poor man manager from the first Championship season onwards.
- Stevie Crawford had a good eye for a player and built a good squad who played relatively nice football, but just wasn`t cut out to be the boss.

Personally, I don`t think another season in the Championship would be a bad thing from a playing perspective but obviously promotion is desirable from the financial perspective.

In terms of progressing the club both on and off the field, I do think we are making strides and I would hope we can hold on to McPake for another few seasons!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Mon 18 Dec 07:31

Quote:

hurricane_jimmy, Mon 18 Dec 06:46

Was McPake actually available at the time that Peter Grant was booted? Honestly can`t remember!

Grant was DAFC Manager 28 May 2021 - 31 Oct 2021.

Hughes was DAFC Manager 12 Nov 2021 - 19 May 2022.

McPake was Dundee Manager May 2019 - 16 Feb 2022 and appointed DAFC Manager on 25 May 2022.

So McPake wasn`t available when either Grant or Hughes was appointed. Also, he has openly said that he was very disillusioned by being sacked by Dundee and it took DAFC some personal visits to his home to persuade him to return to management.

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (DADSC) when you shop online with one of 8000 firms: https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc[
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: vasco  
Date:   Mon 18 Dec 09:38

As long as we can continue to win most of the fixtures against the 6 clubs below and draw nearly all the rest it`s okay not to pick up many points from those above. That`ll get us to the play-offs. Save beating Partick Raith or Dundee United until then.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Mon 18 Dec 10:20

As long as we are in the hunt for 4th and start the run in well for the playoffs then anything can happen. We need to have luck in injuries and also a boost in confidence that a run can bring and not lose the stupid goals that are plaguing us just now. I still have faith.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 18 Dec 12:05

I have the privilege of working with different Pars players every week, during visits to local primary schools for our Pars Tackle Health initiative. The aim is to raise health awareness among upper primary children, encouraging them to make healthy lifestyle choices using professional footballers as role models.

Every single player totally buys into these sessions. They might not be elite footballers but they are all really sound lads and speak very highly of James McPake and Dave Mackay. I can assure you this was not the case under the previous manager. McPake was lucky to inherit some good characters when he was appointed, but he`s done his homework on all the players he brought in because there are no bad eggs in there who might disrupt the harmony in the squad.

How important could that be if we`re in the playoffs at the end of the season?

Not your average Sunday League player.

Post Edited (Mon 18 Dec 12:06)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Mon 18 Dec 14:36

I can`t see how anyone can look at the league table and honestly say they aren`t happy with where we currently are, especially considering the horrendous amount of long term injuries we have had to our key, experienced players.

The fact McPake has managed to assemble a side who can compete with any team in the league in spite of the injury crisis, shows what a good manager he is. We have been a close match for the teams above us, except for the poor showing in the cup.

Can`t really fault the attitude or work rate of the players either.

It would have been foolish to fling the chequebook at getting a few journeymen in to be challenging for the title, as Dundee United have the resources to throw more at it in the winter break.

Far better to play the long game, get a solid year back in the Championship, consolidate our position, get some more experience in our young players, and potentially get a shot at the promotion play offs.

With the training ground under construction, our injury list clearing up, there is a lot to be positive about
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bigdonnie  
Date:   Mon 18 Dec 17:58

weve done not too badly and no matter result on saturday we go to xmas 4th top so not too bad

donald mcneil
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: USMac  
Date:   Tue 19 Dec 03:50

One could argue that Matty, Kane and Bene were three very key players for us last season. How many games have they played collectively so far this season?

Given that, being fourth presently is a real testament to the work of the rest of the team and the coaching staff. Sure, points have been dropped at times, but given the youth of the team and players coming back, this team is only going to improve.

I know others are not fans of the playoffs, but playoffs are about form at the right time. You can lose 4x to the same team during the season, but that means nothing come playoffs. If the Pars make the playoffs with an improving team, you never know.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: theparsman1885  
Date:   Tue 19 Dec 09:14

With McPakes record in the playoffs last time, wouldn’t bet against us having a run at them again. USMac is right, all about form.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Thu 21 Dec 08:11

Of course we have made progress both in terms of the squad, the management and the systems in place. I prefer small steps to improvement so that this can bed in. Making huge strides is not realistic and is a gamble in terms of finance. We achieved promotion last season and mid table or better will be a further step forward this season. We have brought in a few raw players who are benefitting from a season in this league. Their best playing days are ahead. In parallel the development and training facilities will be another step and will take 3 years or so to reap rewards. The Rosyth facility will embed the club in the culture of the city and surrounding area and hopefully bring in new fans. I personally have great optimism for the future and see our general trajectory as upwards.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Thu 21 Dec 09:13

Good Post Indiapar

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Angus_W  
Date:   Thu 21 Dec 11:51

At times this season we have not been the best team on the park. However I would never knock them for effort its always 100%.

“.........it ain’t over till the Pars score!”
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net