DAFC.net
Home 19 September 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Tom Lockyer
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Sun 17 Dec 14:01

Luton Town captain collapsed with cardiac arrest for the 2nd time in 8 months yesterday during their game with Bournemouth.

Thankfully he was awake and responsive when leaving the park, but looks like his career will now come to an end.

Im guessing his surgery in the summer would have fitted a pacemaker, which Id have thought will have kicked in yesterday to reset his heart rate as medics got to him, true life saving tech.

Got to question now though - was it brought on just by an unhealthy heart condition or by the intensity and work rate required at the top level these days? Are players being pushed too hard now?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Tom Lockyer
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Mon 18 Dec 13:22

I`m no cardiologist, but I don`t think your post is accurate. He collapsed in the playoff final, but, as far as I know, he did not suffer cardiac arrest. That collapse was caused by atrial fibrillation I believe, for which he had corrective surgery in the summer - whether that involved the installation of a pacemaker, I don`t know. I also don`t know if a pacemaker acts in the same way an implanted defibrillator does - because that`s what he really needed.

Regardless, I`d say it`s too early to say his career his over; Eriksen is still playing having experienced a similar event - it`s amazing what medicine can do these days, so don`t write him off just yet.

On your other point - I don`t know if the number of players having cardiac issues come to light is growing, or not - there have been multiple such tragedies in my lifetime, but maybe we just hear more about them today. Certainly it seems that elite athletes are more at risk from suffering sudden cardiac issues than the general `healthy` population, but I think that holds across all sports.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net