DAFC.net
Home 19 September 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 2% on the ball, 98% running around
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Thu 21 Dec 01:03

Quite a revealing article about the impact data analysis is having on the elite game. I wonder how long it will be before individual players are wired up to get instructions from their individual analyst ...

The thread title is based on the finding that the average player spends less than 2% of the match on the ball.

Democratising data - how Fifa primed World Cup underdogs to shock - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67749259

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (DADSC) when you shop online with one of 8000 firms: https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc[
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: 2% on the ball, 98% running around
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Thu 21 Dec 07:08

I remember seeing that very same statistic some time in the 1960s. It seemed astonishing at first but then if every player has 2 minutes on the ball then that is half of the game covered.

Bobby Charlton once said that football was mostly about moving- whether trotting, jogging or running. I think the key is whether the player is moving into a good area as a defender or attacker to maximise his impact on the game. The great saving tackle or scoring shot which we can all admire is merely the icing on the cake.

Two minutes out of 90 doesn`t seem very much it is true but the collective effect of that two minutes will be what separates the great player from the good one.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jojo  
Date:   Thu 21 Dec 08:16

Halaand is a great example . In majority of games the number of touches of the ball is significantly below most of others but his touches have great effect in areas that hurt opposition and this is often down to constant movement and that in-built ability to seem to know where ball will fall in penalty area .
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ditch  
Date:   Thu 21 Dec 08:52

Cruyff had the ball more than most and here`s his quote:

"When you play a match, it is statistically proven that players actually have the ball 3 minutes on average … So, the most important thing is: what do you do during those 87 minutes when you do not have the ball. That is what determines wether you’re a good player or not."

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Thu 21 Dec 09:44

Another reason I get frustrated when I see us attacking and several players just stand still, not aware of their surroundings.

Ep.17 of East End Tales is out now with Andrius Skerla

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/15082607
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sammy_Must_Die  
Date:   Thu 21 Dec 18:28

Quote:

EastEndTales, Thu 21 Dec 09:44

Another reason I get frustrated when I see us attacking and several players just stand still, not aware of their surroundings.

This ^^^

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 22 Dec 11:23

When Billy Kirkwood played for the Pars, he often went through the 90 mins with very few touches and many fans were often on his back.

Jim Leishman was quoted in the Press as saying that these fans don`t understand football and that Kirkwood did his best work off the ball.

I can remember finding that statement quite laughable, but I`m not so sceptical now. There`s certainly a place in the game for players who know what to do and where to go when they`re not in possession.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Fri 22 Dec 12:26

I recently watched our game against Ayr in the cup at Somerset Park. Football was a different sport back then when Billy Kirkwood played. Goodness knows how more players weren’t long term injured. I am the same as you at the time GG. I thought Billy Kirkwood wasn’t a great signing, but I do believe that Leish was saying that he was a motivator in the dressing room. I can understand that.
I don’t believe he would give too many out options in the passes however.
I remember we paid money for him and thought this is the reason why he was being played.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 22 Dec 12:43

Quote:

parsmad68, Fri 22 Dec 12:26

I recently watched our game against Ayr in the cup at Somerset Park. Football was a different sport back then when Billy Kirkwood played. Goodness knows how more players weren’t long term injured. I am the same as you at the time GG. I thought Billy Kirkwood wasn’t a great signing, but I do believe that Leish was saying that he was a motivator in the dressing room. I can understand that.
I don’t believe he would give too many out options in the passes however.
I remember we paid money for him and thought this is the reason why he was being played.

Parsmad, the game you highlight was Kirkwood`s best ever game for the Pars, I believe. Remember he was a regular in Dundee United`s title winning team in 1982/3.

We also got our money back (50k) for him when we sold him to Dundee. His first game at EEP for Dundee ended up as a 6-1 win for the Pars. 😃

I was in the middle of the crowd singing "Billy Kirkwood, Billy Kirkwood. What a difference you have made!" 😁🤣😁

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net