DAFC.net
Home 04 October 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Barry Robson
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 31 Jan 12:40

Sacked!

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Barry Robson
Topic Originator: moviescot  
Date:   Wed 31 Jan 13:09

The Aberdeen managers position is a hot potato.
Aberdeen (and I live here) have delusions of grandeur. The problem being that they don`t have the money to compete at the top and their recent choice of managers is restricted by this
I pity the next incumbent
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Wed 31 Jan 13:53

Said 9 months ago he`d never last a full year. Trying to find where I said that!

Ep.17 of East End Tales is out now with Andrius Skerla

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/15082607
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1985Par  
Date:   Wed 31 Jan 15:48

" delusions of grandeur " indeed. They had an excellent manager in McInnes and he should have had more than enough credit in the bank to ride out the difficult spell he had in the run up to his sacking. He`s gone on to prove himself to be as good as anyone out there in terms of managing a " provincial " club.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TommyR  
Date:   Wed 31 Jan 16:41

Quote:

moviescot, Wed 31 Jan 13:09

The Aberdeen managers position is a hot potato.
Aberdeen (and I live here) have delusions of grandeur. The problem being that they don`t have the money to compete at the top and their recent choice of managers is restricted by this
I pity the next incumbent

Never thought I`d see another Aberdeen resident or central belt expat such as myself be a Dunfermline fan.

Hats off!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jojo  
Date:   Wed 31 Jan 16:53

I am also part of the Pars enclave in Aberdeen…. There are quite a few around I think. There used to be a NE supporters club back in the 90s and 00s
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 31 Jan 18:52

Quote:

jojo, Wed 31 Jan 16:53

I am also part of the Pars enclave in Aberdeen…. There are quite a few around I think. There used to be a NE supporters club back in the 90s and 00s

I`ve seen a chap on the Cove bus logged into this very forum.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jdafc  
Date:   Wed 31 Jan 18:52

I`m in the Broch. There were a couple of us Pars fans when I worked in Peterhead

[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Wed 31 Jan 18:53

Quote:

1985Par, Wed 31 Jan 15:48

" delusions of grandeur " indeed. They had an excellent manager in McInnes and he should have had more than enough credit in the bank to ride out the difficult spell he had in the run up to his sacking. He`s gone on to prove himself to be as good as anyone out there in terms of managing a " provincial " club.

This falls into the delusions of grandeur I mentioned. The fans turned against him because they thought that although he`d done well it wasn`t good enough.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cammypar 1995  
Date:   Thu 1 Feb 08:06

Shows how fickle football fans can be Aberdeen fans took the pitchfork to wee Del and he has done just fine after leaving Aberdeen. The club on the other hand have sacked manager after manager and are giving their successor no chance in a transfer window.

Hibs nailed their colours to the mast early on with their current manager and said he will get a few windows to get his team.

Will be interesting to see what dons will do here get someone in and give him time or do they continue on the path of going through managers like sweets.

Apparently they are looking at Neil Warnock until the summer.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: hurricane_jimmy  
Date:   Thu 1 Feb 13:34

Spent 5 years studying in Aberdeen from 2009-14 and lived very close to Pittodrie and ASV for much of that. One of my flatmates was a die hard Don despite hailing from Straven and I went along to a good few games with him, so I developed a bit of a soft spot for them. I have to admit, I always felt that Aberdeen should do better considering they were the only club in the city but from what he said, a lot of it was due to the board failing to back the manager financially. I remember him being raging that the board wouldn`t support the permanent transfer of Kari Arnason who was a bit of a dynamo in their midfield at the time under Craig Brown. Genuinely would like to see them compete with the OF along with Hibs.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Fri 2 Feb 20:53

Quote:

hurricane_jimmy, Thu 1 Feb 13:34

Spent 5 years studying in Aberdeen from 2009-14 and lived very close to Pittodrie and ASV for much of that. One of my flatmates was a die hard Don despite hailing from Straven and I went along to a good few games with him, so I developed a bit of a soft spot for them. I have to admit, I always felt that Aberdeen should do better considering they were the only club in the city but from what he said, a lot of it was due to the board failing to back the manager financially. I remember him being raging that the board wouldn`t support the permanent transfer of Kari Arnason who was a bit of a dynamo in their midfield at the time under Craig Brown. Genuinely would like to see them compete with the OF along with Hibs.

Getting the bawbees out of Stewart Milne would be a hard gig.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Sat 3 Feb 06:46

Have they started to build their new stadium?

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Sat 3 Feb 09:26

They were to start building out on the outskirts of the city, but now they are looking for funding from the council to build a leasure complex at the beach area in the city .

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sat 3 Feb 10:25

Latest update on Aberdeen seemed to be it would NOT have a leisure element. They`ve spoken for decades now about moving but it never seems to go anywhere.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sat 3 Feb 11:40

Quote:

jake89, Sat 3 Feb 10:25

Latest update on Aberdeen seemed to be it would NOT have a leisure element. They`ve spoken for decades now about moving but it never seems to go anywhere.

Was there not a whean of complaints from local residents about the location of the proposed new stadium ?

The NIMBY mindset.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 3 Feb 11:55

From BBC Sport -

Aberdeen will appoint an interim manager until the end of the season. Three people are currently being spoken to for that position, one of whom is Neil Warnock, and they are hopeful of making an appointment next week. Neil Lennon, Jack Ross and Alex Neil, linked with the job long term, are not contenders for the interim role.

The club are going through a full review of their football operations from academy to first team, working with elite performance consultants.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Sat 3 Feb 11:58

Quote:

wee eck, Sat 3 Feb 11:55

From BBC Sport -

Aberdeen will appoint an interim manager until the end of the season. Three people are currently being spoken to for that position, one of whom is Neil Warnock, and they are hopeful of making an appointment next week. Neil Lennon, Jack Ross and Alex Neil, linked with the job long term, are not contenders for the interim role.

The club are going through a full review of their football operations from academy to first team, working with elite performance consultants.

Warnock has said hed like to work in Scotland
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 3 Feb 12:18

Neil Warnock collects football clubs the way kids used to collect Panini stickers.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: McCaig`s Tower  
Date:   Sat 3 Feb 12:22

I’d make a few points about this.

One, in common with a lot of supporters, I think many Dons fans have unreasonable expectations. When I started following football, Aberdeen had won precisely 3 trophies. They’ve won a few more since (and lost a lot more finals) but history would suggest that most years they could expect to finish between 3rd and 8th (or so, haven’t examined it in great detail) and get to the occasional cup-final. They’ll likely come good sooner or later but it’s not clear whether that will be because of a managerial change, or despite it.

Two – I suspect the significance of the managerial role may be over-stated. Performance will be dictated by a number of factors, some within the manager’s control, some within the club’s control, and many outwith that realm. (As an aside, George Farm is remembered for winning a cup – would older posters regard him as a good manager, or just a relatively competent manager who inherited a good team?)

Three – I think European qualification is a mixed blessing. It seems to me (again, I haven’t the stats to back this up) that teams often do badly the year after – their pre-season is interrupted, they are playing twice a week, often with different players and with and against different styles of football, doing a lot of travelling and so in. It’s a distraction.

Four – it’s unfortunate for Barry himself. One moment he’s doing a decent job in the youth set up, then suddenly mistakes are made elsewhere in the club and he’s ultimately out on his ear.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sun 4 Feb 12:06

Neil Warnock is expected to be named Aberdeen interim manager until the end of the season.

And a deal could be done in time for Warnock, 75, to be in the dugout when Aberdeen visit Rangers on Tuesday evening.

Barry Robson was dismissed last week after a year in charge at Pittodrie.

First team coach Peter Leven took caretaker charge for Saturday`s 1-1 draw with Celtic, which left the Dons eighth in the Scottish Premiership.

Aberdeen are a point off the top six and host Bonnyrigg Rose in the Scottish Cup last 16 on Saturday.

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 4 Feb 15:17

Quote:

McCaig`s Tower, Sat 3 Feb 12:22

I suspect the significance of the managerial role may be over-stated. Performance will be dictated by a number of factors, some within the manager’s control, some within the club’s control, and many outwith that realm. (As an aside, George Farm is remembered for winning a cup – would older posters regard him as a good manager, or just a relatively competent manager who inherited a good team?)

I believe the vast majority of the Pars 1968 SC winning team had a very low opinion of Farm as a manager and some of them hated him with a passion. I was told by a prominent member of that team that Farm liked to look smart in a sharp suit for the media before a game and that he left the tactics up to the senior players.

Now, none of this might necessarily mean that Farm was a poor manager, but it certainly doesn`t sound like he played a major role in bringing the SC back to EEP. He is also alleged to have told Tommy Callaghan that he was "a useless ****." Jock Stein wasted no time in taking him to Parkhead, where he didn`t look out of place in a team containing most of the 1967 EC winning team.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Sun 4 Feb 17:50

Ep.17 of East End Tales is out now with Andrius Skerla

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/15082607

Post Edited (Thu 29 Feb 06:04)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net