DAFC.net
Home 04 October 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Management
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Sun 4 Feb 19:02

When our manager has his full squad to pick from, we do play good football .
He has probably been the unluckiest manager in the league when it comes down to first team players not being available for practically half the season .

I believe he has tried to fill the gap with experienced players but did not get across the line for one thing or another .

It`s sad to see that we are relying on loans ,I think this is down to the board relying on the return of injured players and not wanting to spend .

We don`t have 4-6 weeks to wait for players to return .I would have thought rather than bring in 2 loan players to invest that money on one experienced player, either defence,mid field, or front .

Let`s hope I`m proved wrong ,but it is for sure not at the worrying stage for sure .
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Management
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Sun 4 Feb 19:17

Sometimes it’s all about timing, had this result happened a week ago maybe we might have found some cash down the back of the sofa for an older head for 4 months.

I wonder if anyone at the club had ever seen Benjamin play before we signed him? Same with the guy from Blackpool?

Can we still bring players in even now if they don’t have a club?

Post Edited (Sun 04 Feb 19:28)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Sun 4 Feb 19:32

guess you didnt read the comments from McPake about the signings Berkey

and we can even get more players from Dundee and StJohnstone this month, maybe theyve got all the experience we need.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Sun 4 Feb 21:23

"When our manager has his full squad to pick from, we do play good football ."

Do we though? Last season, I can probably count on one hand how many games I felt we played really well. We got the job done and it was great beating Falkirk twice and we showed sone fight at Airdrie twice (sadly I wasn`t there either time) but were there many entertaining games? Where we played with pace and purpose? Genuine question by the way - I seem to remember a lot of drab and listless performances, especially innthe first half of home games - and happy to be corrected. The title clinching win v Queens, the 2-0 over Falkirk and maybe the win at Montrose? Any others?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Alter Ego  
Date:   Sun 4 Feb 21:48

Again and Chalmers isn’t a championship player… Christ other teams applauded him to get rid! He was brutal yesterday and that’s an older player!

Mon the Pars!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sonofpetrie  
Date:   Sun 4 Feb 22:15

Quote:

kelty_par, Sun 4 Feb 21:23

"When our manager has his full squad to pick from, we do play good football ."

Do we though? Last season, I can probably count on one hand how many games I felt we played really well. We got the job done and it was great beating Falkirk twice and we showed sone fight at Airdrie twice (sadly I wasn`t there either time) but were there many entertaining games? Where we played with pace and purpose? Genuine question by the way - I seem to remember a lot of drab and listless performances, especially in the first half of home games - and happy to be corrected. The title clinching win v Queens, the 2-0 over Falkirk and maybe the win at Montrose? Any others?

Agree with you there KP. Last season`s football was underwhelming to say the least. And definitely the most of any league winning season I`ve witnessed. Yes we won the league but for people to say we play "good football" puzzles me. GK plays it short, CB passes to Chalmers, Chalmers plays it back to the CB etc etc.

Too many mid to low level managers in Scotland think all they need is the designer coat and scarf and to copy what they see on match of the day and they`re the next Arteta or Klopp. I watched the Arsenal v Liverpool game today, as an example, and the sheer level of skill, touch, fitness, awareness and communication required to play that way is almost a different sport to that which we witness at this level.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Sun 4 Feb 22:21

Topic Originator: sonofpetrie like
Date: Sun 4 Feb 22:15

Too many mid to low level managers in Scotland think all they need is the designer coat and scarf and to copy what they see on match of the day and they`re the next Arteta or Klopp. I watched the Arsenal v Liverpool game today, as an example, and the sheer level of skill, touch, fitness, awareness and communication required to play that way is almost a different sport to that which we witness at this level.

---

This is precisely how I view the Scottish game these days. Well said, sonofpetrie.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sun 4 Feb 22:32

Great observation, although my dug did notice this a while back. Insightful stuff.

So do we all.just give up and pack it in because we`re not as good as the elite?

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Sun 4 Feb 22:37

No, you clown! We go back to basics. I do wish you would stop being the attack dog on here. It is tiresome when some of us just come here to chat about our team.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 4 Feb 22:42

Where was the skill, touch and communication at Arsenal`s second goal?!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Sun 4 Feb 23:07

We haven`t played good football for a number of years. However, I thought McPake did well last season as he really had to manage and change things during games, usually to good effect. We weren`t that exciting to watch, but we were effective and it was more than good enough, especially after what happened with relegation the year before. Effective football that won games was absolutely fine.

Last year, we often got to half-time at 0-0 after some very dreary football then upped it after half time where we became more direct and really started to apply some pressure. This year, the insistence on short passing has just made for utterly dreadful football. It doesn`t work and it never has, even last season. We were always ineffective before we went more direct then, and now that we seem to have no option to go direct this season, it means (with a few exceptions) we play the most awful football.

Dull football that gets results is OK, but dull football that makes us completely ineffective, routinely gives the ball away in our half, where the greatest determination is a determination not to be aggressive in any way, where we always seem to be surprised that the other team don`t allow us all the time on the ball that we want, where we spend long periods stuck in our own half because we aren`t good enough to pass all the way up the park? No, that`s just utter mince.

I`ve been saying it for weeks, probably months, but I`m now completely exasperated with it. I find it hard to say it, but it`s now at the same level of passy-passy pihs-pihs that we had under Grant and Hughes.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Sun 4 Feb 23:30

Spot on Socks , this tippy tappy stuff is ok if you have the players that are capable of it , unfortunately we don,t , we make 8 -10 passes and we are no further forward , Chalmers comes back to take a ball and immediatly passes it back again, ther is no drive forward and no invention up front. hence our inability to score

G.B
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: thebear  
Date:   Mon 5 Feb 00:02

Agree about charmers, looks pretty and elegant, but rarely effective
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: we won the cup in 68  
Date:   Mon 5 Feb 00:34

Every player on Saturday was rank rotten but it’s all about Chalmers. How many goals did we lose when he was taken off? Pars fans love a scape goat. He was rotten yesterday but who wasn’t. He’s the new Justin Skinner.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SergioDuarte  
Date:   Mon 5 Feb 01:24

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Mon 5 Feb 07:39

We did okay last season, painful to watch but we ground out results and you accepted mcpakes hands were tied with some high earners who were still under contract. KRH then came onto a game and there were glimpses of pace and trickery to get the fans excited again.

But what did mcpake then go and do? He bloody extended their contracts! Now it’s a repeat of the last season we had at this level except now with a few injuries and more raw young loans it might actually be worse!

The post below replying to me is by one of .nets finest champions of mediocrity!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cammypar 1995  
Date:   Mon 5 Feb 07:53

Quote:

Berkey, Mon 5 Feb 07:39

We did okay last season, painful to watch but we ground out results and you accepted mcpakes hands were tied with some high earners who were still under contract. KRH then came onto a game and there were glimpses of pace and trickery to get the fans excited again.

But what did mcpake then go and do? He bloody extended their contracts! Now it’s a repeat of the last season we had at this level except now with a few injuries and more raw young loans it might actually be worse!

It`s the definition of insanity doing the same thing and expecting different results.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 5 Feb 09:05

Played 36
Won 23
Draws 12
Lost 1
GD ÷42
Pts 81
24 games unbeaten

We did a wee bit better than "OK"......you do not win any league by just being OK.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: StevenPar77  
Date:   Mon 5 Feb 09:21

Quote:

we won the cup in 68, Mon 5 Feb 00:34

Every player on Saturday was rank rotten but it’s all about Chalmers. How many goals did we lose when he was taken off? Pars fans love a scape goat. He was rotten yesterday but who wasn’t. He’s the new Justin Skinner.

There`s an element in the NW that boo when his name is read out, such a confidence boost, I`m sure.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MinnesotaAndy  
Date:   Mon 5 Feb 09:47

Injuries have wrecked this season. I don`t blame management. I hope the players respond to the very poor result against Morton by beating Queens Park.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Mon 5 Feb 11:29

"We did a wee bit better than "OK"......you do not win any league by just being OK."

This thread has been about style of play. Do you think the style of play was "better than ok"?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 5 Feb 12:01

Quote:

kelty_par, Mon 5 Feb 11:29

"We did a wee bit better than "OK"......you do not win any league by just being OK."

This thread has been about style of play. Do you think the style of play was "better than ok"?

After Saturday I honestly couldn`t give 2 fcuks about our "style". I`ve admitted on here before that I`m no tactical expert like some on here are. I wouldn`t say Morton were particularly pleasing on the eye but they hammered us. All that`s remembered is who gets the 3 points. Falkirk and Airdrie were very nice to watch last season but finished miles behind us. That`s all that matters.

When McPake was appointed he said he wanted us to get back to winning games of football. That`s what needs to happen and fast. It doesn`t need to be pleasing on the eye.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cammypar 1995  
Date:   Mon 5 Feb 17:12

Quote:

da_no_1, Mon 5 Feb 12:01

Quote:

kelty_par, Mon 5 Feb 11:29

After Saturday I honestly couldn`t give 2 fcuks about our "style". I`ve admitted on here before that I`m no tactical expert like some on here are. I wouldn`t say Morton were particularly pleasing on the eye but they hammered us. All that`s remembered is who gets the 3 points. Falkirk and Airdrie were very nice to watch last season but finished miles behind us. That`s all that matters.

When McPake was appointed he said he wanted us to get back to winning games of football. That`s what needs to happen and fast. It doesn`t need to be pleasing on the eye.

Correct but it needs to work. Last season it clearly worked and Saturday it clearly didn`t. We got caught out a few times when mucking around at the back but we didn`t adjust that was a major issue.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Mon 5 Feb 17:15

I can`t go to games, so can`t comment on the quality of football.

But I do think we`ve been unbelievably unlucky with injuries, which is a vicious circle. Other players have to pick up the load of the injured ones, and make themselves more prone to injury..I think it`s bad luck more than anything else.

We`ve had the `spine` ripped from the team - Bene, Fisher, Todd, KRH (arguably our best players from last season) all unavailable for lengthy spells. Having the spine of your team ripped out causes huge problems for ANY team (see Man City`s results when Rodri doesn`t play..), so I don`t think McPake should carry the can.

He brought us up, we`re still in reasonable shape, I don`t think McPake deserves the boot. Arsenal persevered with Arteta for 2 years of mediocrity (with stakes far higher than the pars) but seem to be reaping the benefits now.

As for the criticism I`m reading on here re: Benjamin...Bamba had an absolute stinker v Hamilton in 2007, and is arguably the best player to play for the Pars in the last 20 years. People saying Benjamin shouldn`t be in a Pars shirt again after a stinker on debut need to gie their heids a shake.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net