DAFC.net
Home 02 July 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Pause for thought
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 23 Feb 13:45

There`s a blame culture in society which requires somebody to be held responsible if things don`t work out as expected. Bad luck is not an acceptable explanation. This forum has been rife over the last few months with theories regarding our poor form and everyone connected with the club has been in the firing line - directors and their strategy, the CEO, the manager and his tactics, formations, selections and recruitment, the scouting staff, the medical staff, training methods, individual players etc. When results go wrong there`s a tendency to question everything about the club and not acknowledge the good things going on.

A favourite theme is that the club has neither the funds nor the will to invest in the players the manager wants. I have lost track of the different explanations we`ve had of how the recruitment process works. It was interesting to read this morning that Ian Murray insists that finance wasn`t the reason Lee Ashcroft signed for Raith. He claims a much better financial offer was made by an unnamed rival. I wonder who that was?

It`s a forum and no one wants to discourage discussion but it`s hard to see how a lot of the unfounded speculation on here benefits the club. A lot of the opinions on here are expressed as if they were facts - another feature of modern society. Is there any chance of a more measured approach as we enter a crucial stage of the season?

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Pause for thought
Topic Originator: DJAS  
Date:   Fri 23 Feb 14:11

Quote:

wee eck, Fri 23 Feb 13:45

There`s a blame culture in society which requires somebody to be held responsible if things don`t work out as expected. Bad luck is not an acceptable explanation. This forum has been rife over the last few months with theories regarding our poor form and everyone connected with the club has been in the firing line - directors and their strategy, the CEO, the manager and his tactics, formations, selections and recruitment, the scouting staff, the medical staff, training methods, individual players etc. When results go wrong there`s a tendency to question everything about the club and not acknowledge the good things going on.

A favourite theme is that the club has neither the funds nor the will to invest in the players the manager wants. I have lost track of the different explanations we`ve had of how the recruitment process works. It was interesting to read this morning that Ian Murray insists that finance wasn`t the reason Lee Ashcroft signed for Raith. He claims a much better financial offer was made by an unnamed rival. I wonder who that was?

It`s a forum and no one wants to discourage discussion but it`s hard to see how a lot of the unfounded speculation on here benefits the club. A lot of the opinions on here are expressed as if they were facts - another feature of modern society. Is there any chance of a more measured approach as we enter a crucial stage of the season?

No

Predictor league winner 2012/2013
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neilholland999  
Date:   Fri 23 Feb 14:12

Fair comments, but supporters should be allowed to make logical arguments, ask questions, and give constructive criticism without being shot down in flames.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Fri 23 Feb 14:28

But maybe those who are shooting down in flames should be prepared to be shot down in flames. No?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cammypar 1995  
Date:   Fri 23 Feb 14:29

Quote:

wee eck, Fri 23 Feb 13:45

He claimed doesn`t mean it`s true. How many managers are going to come out with we gave him an offer that blew everyone else out of the water ? Not many.

I would bet if you go on every single fan`s forums of teams struggling up and down the UK they won`t read a million miles away from the tone of ours.

Although back to the Ashcroft one. I don`t think the decision was financial I think it came down to signing with a promotion chasing team or a team who will be in the relegation dog fight.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 23 Feb 14:35

So your final paragraph concedes that maybe Murray was telling the truth! That`s exactly the kind of post I was referring to. Folk just believe what they want to hear.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Fri 23 Feb 14:37

Ashcroft is now ancient history and was fair to middling when he played for us. No hard feelings to the guy but we`ll have the opportunity to put him to the sword before long.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: grelin  
Date:   Fri 23 Feb 15:09

A well balanced eloquent submission Wee Eck, that will resonate with most supporters who refrain from airing any controversial views without substance.

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: PansPar  
Date:   Fri 23 Feb 15:34

Thanks Wee Eck for a well reasoned post. I guess forums like this will always bring a mix of opinions, speculation etc, that`s part and parcel.

I think it`s important to distinguish between posts asking questions (e.g. who signs off on recruitment?) and those with opinions or making claims (e.g. we missed out on this player for x reason).

We see both types here, but sometimes the two are conflated. This can result in someone asking an open question and later being accused of making a specific point that they weren`t necessarily making.

So yep I agree, but let`s also try to avoid adding meaning to messages that other people post.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 23 Feb 15:53

Well said wee Eck.

With too many it doesn`t matter what the club does they`ll moan. You see the silence on the week`s we actually play well.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 23 Feb 16:38

An excellent, impassioned OP, wee eck, but I feel it will fall on deaf ears for some posters. The other side of this coin is that a lack of controversial posts would make this forum less interesting as they stimulate debate and counter argument.

Be honest, you like to get wired into posters who make contentious or purely speculative statements.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 23 Feb 16:46

I wasn`t trying to stop discussion or discourage different views, GGR, just asking for a more measured approach.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Fri 23 Feb 17:44

Quote:

jake89, Fri 23 Feb 15:53

Well said wee Eck.

With too many it doesn`t matter what the club does they`ll moan. You see the silence on the week`s we actually play well.

I like to think I come at it from both sides equally to be honest. I try my best to be positive about everything to do with the Pars, but find there is a breaking point with “regimes” - by that I mean a managers tenure. Its been a lot more evident the last 2 seasons in the Champ. I will give praise when it is due and back players and managers to the hilt, but also criticise where I see fit.

Maybe my love for the club has just waned over the years of being a poor Championship level side at best. The last time we had a good run at this league we won it 🤷🏻‍♂️ although, bearing in mind as well that I began following the Pars the year we finished 4th in the Prem, but have never felt a right to be a top tier team.

Costing comes into it too I guess - £21 for tier 2 football is just about affordable these days for me. Last year I barely attended as I didnt believe in the costs of it. Each to their own though.

On a final note, some people do take football and this place too seriously at times. Its not that bad a country outside of the Kingdom of Fife (which is ours ;) )

Post Edited (Fri 23 Feb 17:45)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Angus_W  
Date:   Fri 23 Feb 18:12

Post Edited (Fri 23 Feb 18:34)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net