DAFC.net
Home 09 May 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 A wee bit confused
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sun 10 Mar 18:36

I haven`t been to a game for a while, so I have to go by opinions on here to get a grasp of wots `apnin`.

So when I read some posters saying McPake is clueless with no tactical awareness, so we need to get rid of now, then I read lots of comments saying we bossed a game v a promotion contender, but just couldn`t find the net, I canny fathom how both can be correct.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: A wee bit confused
Topic Originator: DBA  
Date:   Sun 10 Mar 18:47

Quote:

PARrot, Sun 10 Mar 18:36

I haven`t been to a game for a while, so I have to go by opinions on here to get a grasp of wots `apnin`.

So when I read some posters saying McPake is clueless with no tactical awareness, so we need to get rid of now, then I read lots of comments saying we bossed a game v a promotion contender, but just couldn`t find the net, I canny fathom how both can be correct.

They can both be correct when we`ve got no creativity. We may have bossed possession, but barely laid a glove on their defence / keeper.

Raith played the game perfectly. They sat deep, safe in the knowledge that we couldn`t break them down and aimed to play on the counter and set pieces. It worked, fair play to them.

When we`ve got Jakubiak as a lone striker, we could play all day and not score. McPake did nothing to change that until it was too late.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: NikNakPar  
Date:   Sun 10 Mar 18:47

Quote:

PARrot, Sun 10 Mar 18:36

Well just on yesterdays game his changes weakened us.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: weemike  
Date:   Sun 10 Mar 18:48

We had 60% possession with the game played in the rovers half up until the second goal.

But no cutting edge or end product.

Two seasons running we have been low scorers.

I personally think we have an extremely talented group of players and a braver manager would get better results a calderwood if you will.

His remit this year is survival I hope he achieves it and can build on it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sun 10 Mar 18:54

I`ve stuck up for the guy in the past, especially while he`s had at least half his best 11 out injured, but in the last 2 games he`s been found wanting. The Otoo substitution was absolutely criminal (unless he was struggling with a knock) and I`d like to hear him justify that. Reverting to a back 5 also completely nullified Matty Todd. We p*** about with changes to suit the opposition instead of going at teams from the start. We`ve only really went at teams twice at home, v Morton in September and Ayr last week.

I`m undecided.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: usurpar  
Date:   Sun 10 Mar 18:56

Like you PARrot, I rely on the posts on here for information on the team, players, manager and performances. I then follow the matches on the BBC Sports site which doesn’t really give you much content. The conundrum, as you say, is in the vast range of opinions on everything to do with the club. I appreciate that everyone sees things differently and we’re all disappointed when our results are bad, but criticism, in my mind should always be constructive rather than destructive

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bucuresti Par  
Date:   Sun 10 Mar 19:11

His favourite 3-4-2-1 allows us to keep the ball pretty well and be defensively solid (so long as we have at least Bene or Fisher back there). Yet we create little and finish even less.

We have the players to play 4-2-3-1, he was even forced to use it recently and we scored a few times, so it is odd that he hasn`t tried it when we need a goal.

His subs recently have been dire, players that have been playing quite well taken off or not used at all.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Lenstar  
Date:   Sun 10 Mar 20:14

It’s really simple for our opposition, score against us and they know we will generally toil, we are and have been for far too long powder puff up front 🤷
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Sun 10 Mar 22:31

I’m keen to hear what we were expecting to get when we signed jakubiak and o’hallaran.

Were we really planning to go with wighton as the main target man in formation with one upfront?

Back to being drenched in my own negativity….

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Mon 11 Mar 00:43

Berkey wrote:

> I’m keen to hear what we were expecting to get when we signed
> jakubiak and o’hallaran.
>
> Were we really planning to go with wighton as the main target
> man in formation with one upfront?
>
> G.B
Add MCcann to that and theres not a goal amongst them

G.B
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bigdonnie  
Date:   Mon 11 Mar 12:51

its gonna be one of tightest relegation battles ever between 6th place till 9th anybody could go into play offs think maybe arbroath too far behind but never know but pars have got to get that ball in the net again cant afford a lot of defeats think we can write of friday but you never know we got 2 draws at tannadice unlucky to lose at east end v united but got to score

donald mcneil
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: KirklistonPar  
Date:   Mon 11 Mar 17:40

In my opinion McPake has done about the best he can with our current squad, injuries have made it a lot harder for him and the quality of players we have been able to bring in haven’t really changed our fortunes. I’m surprised we weren’t able to bring in a striker of better quality in the summer window but, maybe we just couldn’t afford or get the players we wanted. Possibly that’s what made the club hand out longer contracts to certain player`s so we wouldn’t run the risk of loosing them and weakening the squad more.
I certainly think there will be a few changes come the start of next season and i think McPake will still be the manager.
I can’t see us getting relegated as I think we have enough to stay up by the skin of our teeth.
We could certainly do with a bigger budget for players as were struggling to sign players who are able to play to a high enough standard week in week in the championship.
One last note I’d like to see Otoo given the chance of playing up front. He’s strong, can hold the ball up, likes running at players and clearly has a bit of attacking awareness.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 11 Mar 17:51

Quote:

KirklistonPar, Mon 11 Mar 17:40

In my opinion McPake has done about the best he can with our current squad, injuries have made it a lot harder for him and the quality of players we have been able to bring in haven’t really changed our fortunes. I’m surprised we weren’t able to bring in a striker of better quality in the summer window but, maybe we just couldn’t afford or get the players we wanted. Possibly that’s what made the club hand out longer contracts to certain player`s so we wouldn’t run the risk of loosing them and weakening the squad more.
I certainly think there will be a few changes come the start of next season and i think McPake will still be the manager.
I can’t see us getting relegated as I think we have enough to stay up by the skin of our teeth.
We could certainly do with a bigger budget for players as were struggling to sign players who are able to play to a high enough standard week in week in the championship.
One last note I’d like to see Otoo given the chance of playing up front. He’s strong, can hold the ball up, likes running at players and clearly has a bit of attacking awareness.

Good, well reasoned post, KP.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Mar 18:44

Good, well reasoned post, KP.

Except the first bit and the last bit :-)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Kyle DAFC  
Date:   Mon 11 Mar 20:49

“One last note I’d like to see Otoo given the chance of playing up front. He’s strong, can hold the ball up, likes running at players and clearly has a bit of attacking awareness.”

Jesus Christ

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Mon 11 Mar 20:49

I don`t think McPake is getting the most out of his squad, of course he isn`t. He`s a young manager making his way in his career. That doesn`t mean he should be dumped though.

Football manager, social media and wall to wall coverage of elite football has absolutely ruined the way people view the real world.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Mon 11 Mar 21:15

Topic Originator: Kyle DAFC like
Date: Mon 11 Mar 20:49

“One last note I’d like to see Otoo given the chance of playing up front. He’s strong, can hold the ball up, likes running at players and clearly has a bit of attacking awareness.”

Jesus Christ

===

I hate how people come on here to poo-poo and dismiss ideas and suggestions about how our team might improve without offering any justification for their rejection of the proposal.

KP is not alone in his Otoo upfront thought. I, too, suggested the same on the match thread. And given our abject failure up front this season, it is far from being as daft as you seem to think.

I don`t know how long you have followed the Pars, but you might remember Andy Tod successfully shifting between a defensive and attacking role. If a player is versatile, skilful and strong, which Otoo certainly is, then it is perfectly feasible.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Mar 21:24

Was tod not a striker who converted to center half? And then just got flung up top when we needed a goal at the death?

It`s a wee bit different than just chucking a youngster up top,

I would understand this train of thought if he had gradually moved forward during matches with the odd goal here and there.

But he`s basically untested in the box.

Might as well chuck mehmet up as well probably concede less goals.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Mar 21:28

If Otoo was capable and any good of playing up front then the guys who play with him and watch him play every day would be campaigning for him,

These are professional footballers and coaches. We`ve gotta give them some credit
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Mon 11 Mar 21:54

Alan Evans was another ex defender turned Striker. I think.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Mon 11 Mar 22:17

I think Villa took him as a striker but he settled in as a central defender
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Tue 12 Mar 03:02

Topic Originator: weemike like
Date: Mon 11 Mar 21:28

If Otoo was capable and any good of playing up front then the guys who play with him and watch him play every day would be campaigning for him, These are professional footballers and coaches. We`ve gotta give them some credit

===

Give the professionals credit, for sure. But when they keep making the same mistakes week after week, there`s a temptation to say perhaps they are too close to things and cannot change their perspective. That is especially true when things are not going well.

We fans are certainly amateurs in comparison, but that shouldn`t stop us from offering a suggestion, no matter how out-of-the-box. It is a fresh perspective, nothing more than that.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Tue 12 Mar 08:44

McPake started as a centre forward at Livvy i`m sure from my old Championship Manager memories...

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bigdonnie  
Date:   Tue 12 Mar 12:07

same with late great norrie mccathie started of as striker at cowdenbeath big leish put him in defence turned out one of best defenders ever in pars shirt big jock stein was same move whole team about when he arrived in 1960 then they had 6wins in a row great management skills afraid mcpake doesnt have that

donald mcneil
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net