DAFC.net
Home 29 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Resources and Expectations
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sun 14 Apr 16:42

A lot is often made of our resources apparently being greater than most of our competitors outwith the Premiership

There is a fair bit of disgruntlement at our perceived lack of ability to build a superior team with said resources.

Is it not the case that at our level, there are hundreds if not thousands of available players who are all of a very similar standard.
There is only so much room for what, an average of 24 per team. That`s 240 players in the Championship roughly.

This is obviously why the division is so competitive.
Is it not, then, unreasonable to expect our "Superior" resources to make a great deal of difference.

To gain a significant advantage, I think we would need to have a considerably larger budget than our competitors. Far more than we have. We would need to attract several players at a higher level, and there are not so many available in the bracket between what we have now and what we could never afford.

Take Dundee Utd, for example. How much has it cost them, and they were pushed nearly all the way.

I don`t think resources are the major factor at our level. Good management, team spirit, and a decent rub of the green are more relevant.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Resources and Expectations
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sun 14 Apr 17:04

It`s been an issue for years that we rely on loan signings. We`ve had some good, some bad, but the issue is they leave. To me the best team is one that is used to playing together week in, week out. We`ve not really had that for a long time and it`s a major factor in us remaining in the Championship.

This is why it`s great to hear names from the youth team being mentioned in such a positive way. These guys are the future of the club. We don`t have the financial backing the likes of Dundee Utd have, nor would I like to see us but success as happened with Masterton.

That all said, assuming we`re in the Championship next season, we should be one of the biggest clubs again and we should expect to see us build upon this season. It`s a very tight league indeed.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Sun 14 Apr 17:54

It`s true that there likely won`t be much between many clubs at this level. But, if money earned from people paying to see games is not important, then perhaps we should reduce gate prices by a third to make football more accessible. According to your argument, that wouldn`t make any difference to what we can achieve. It won`t happen, because finances are always tight and gate money is hugely valuable to all clubs.

There will always be fluctuations but, over a lengthy period, clubs with higher attendances and income should do better on average. If you were to plot average league position over the last 20 years against average attendance in that period, there would be a very strong correlation. I don`t think we should expect to win this division, but I do think we should be capable of a credible title challenge now and again. We haven`t seriously threatened since winning the division in 2011 so on a long term average, I think we`re probably a bit below what we should reasonably expect.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 14 Apr 18:28

Ticket pricing is a difficult one. I`d love it if we could do something like £10 for adults, £5 for kids but we`d likely need to double our crowds to benefit from that, and we benefit little from more fans in the ground as it means more stewarding, more mess and the same income from food and drink as I assume Stephens lease the space.

Although we arguably have a bigger budget, we`ve also got bigger assets to maintain so it`s not all black and white (pardon the pun).
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Sun 14 Apr 19:32

Think a few assume our budget is bigger due to the lifeline but not always the case, also our lack of debt to service but again we don’t know.

Our problem in the last few years we’ve had in the championship has been some of the loans are the first time these young boys are playing men’s competitive football and the championship is too good a league to blood them. We need to be aiming to get them on their 2nd or 3rd loan when they are not like rabbits in the headlights and so easy pushed off the ball and are wildly inconsistent.

Should we have 7-8 experienced pro’s supplemented by our own youth or 7-8 experienced pro’s supplemented by loans while our own youth don’t get a look in.

Back to being drenched in my own negativity….

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sun 14 Apr 19:33

Would really be quite happy not to host the "Ugly Sisters " ever again, scum of the earth!

Was delighted to see their supporters reaction to their defeat to the mighty Ross County, even their manager high tailed it up the tunnel at full-time!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan97  
Date:   Sun 14 Apr 20:39

Be happy to never see us in the top flight again? Ridiculous statement

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: thebear  
Date:   Sun 14 Apr 20:53

Much as we want promotion, and perhaps play offs for financial reasons, I think to stay in this league is the right answer.
We don`t have the squad, and even worse is we locked some of our poor players in next year.
So my view its better we improve next year and then challenge for promotion, with a slightly different squad.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Mon 15 Apr 11:57

Quote:

parsfan97, Sun 14 Apr 20:39

Be happy to never see us in the top flight again? Ridiculous statement

How`s that?

Having encountered them over the last 60+ years and seen their antics, my opinion of them has never changed.

In fact the last time we were in the top league I stayed away from EEP when we played them, as did quite a few other Par`s supporters!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 15 Apr 12:07

The clubs finances suggest we need premiership football to survive, or a very competitive championship. Clubs like the Pars could easily survive without the likes of Celtic or Rangers but I suspect that isn`t true of even modest-sized teams like Dundee Utd. There`s an argument that the TV deal would go without the Glasgow Derby. Have to say I`m not sure it`s that great a loss as it provides a pittance in reality. Again, that pittance is probably life or death for a few clubs but my view is the leagues would be far better if you could start day 1 of the Premiership with it being all to play for rather than a fight over who might finish third.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Mon 15 Apr 13:45

I think that can be the case now for many top leagues around Europe unfortunately. Days of old with Dundee United and Aberdeen have unfortunately gone forever. I personally don’t like the top leagues anymore.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 15 Apr 17:02

Bring on the Atlantic supermarket league 😉
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net