DAFC.net
Home 30 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Best league in the world?
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Wed 17 Apr 22:52

City and Gooners both out

2 x German sides, 1 x Spanish and 1x French

Post Edited (Wed 17 Apr 22:59)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Best league in the world?
Topic Originator: Livingston Par  
Date:   Thu 18 Apr 00:56

These results are not good for them getting a 5th CL place next season. So Spurs fans laughing at Arsenal think again.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DunPar  
Date:   Thu 18 Apr 03:29

I thought this thread would be referring to the Scottish Championship as best league in the world ? Surely ?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Thu 18 Apr 04:16

Quote:

DunPar, Thu 18 Apr 03:29

I thought this thread would be referring to the Scottish Championship as best league in the world ? Surely ?

Nah you`ve taken that too far 😲

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Thu 18 Apr 07:30

The only folk that say its the greatest league in the world are Sky tv presenters and folk who have been duped into believing it. If they say it enough then people will start to believe it. Aye, there is plenty on money there but as far as the greatest league? Not sure about that.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: aaaaaaaaaargh  
Date:   Thu 18 Apr 09:34

I`m not even sure that it is the best league in England.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 18 Apr 10:04

I find it a funny one. Broadcasters will claim it`s best because they`ve paid a LOT of money for it. I don`t get any great enjoyment in watching any English football but that`s because I have no real links to England so find it hard to back any particular team. I`ve never really understood the notion of an "English team". Fair enough if you`ve family or lived somewhere or had some kind of links. Do people have a Welsh team? An Irish team? A French team?

What they probably mean is "the richest league".
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1985Par  
Date:   Thu 18 Apr 10:15

In terms of a combination of a) quality of player b) number of teams contesting the top places c) unpredictability of games d) entertainment e) atmosphere in the stadiums f) number of potential winners - I can`t think of a "better" league.

You could argue that La Liga has more "quality" or technical ability or whatever you want to call it but ,measured over a the last couple of decades, I can`t think of a better league in terms of the criteria I outlined.

Lot of understandable animosity towards it coz of the riches it exudes but I watch Match of the Day most weeks and am rarely disappointed in terms of entertainment. And it`s watched all over the globe, more so than any other league, for a good reason.

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 18 Apr 10:35

It`s a very subjective judgement. Do the other big leagues agree that the EPL is the best in the world? All the claims I`ve heard originate in England.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: weemike  
Date:   Thu 18 Apr 10:55

I personally think it`s the best in terms of quality, and it certainly attracts the best players, although wages will be a factor, the Latin players are always going to be attracted to Barcelona and Real Madrid. The league also produces some of the best homegrown talent the world has seen. If it`s not the best, it is certainly not far from it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 18 Apr 12:05

Quote:

wee eck, Thu 18 Apr 10:35

It`s a very subjective judgement. Do the other big leagues agree that the EPL is the best in the world? All the claims I`ve heard originate in England.

I wouldn`t think too many of the other big leagues would care to concede that the PL is the best, week, but I can tell you that is very much the case in Italy. They don`t necessarily think the PL enjoys the most cultured or technical football, but they do admire its "agonismo" or passion.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 18 Apr 12:09

Quote:

DBP, Wed 17 Apr 22:52

City and Gooners both out

2 x German sides, 1 x Spanish and 1x French

I watched Man City v Real. City totally dominated the game but only scored with one chance. Too often chose an extra pass instead of shooting. Real nicked a goal and then played with 11 men practically on their 18 yard line. Mourinho would have been proud of them.

Oh and some City players are bowfin at pens. Halland and KDB had been subbed by then.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 18 Apr 12:52

Quote:

wee eck, Thu 18 Apr 10:35

I think that hits the nail on the head. I don`t see the appeal as I have no interest in the teams or the players. I might watch a game featuring an ex-Par but wouldn`t go out my way for it. Others have highlighted they`re more interested in the skills and quality of the football, which is fair enough.

Judging what`s best will always vary from person to person in the same way we get polls about "best city" or "best country". These things are either based on a few opinions or on a set formula. Neither is necessarily wrong but it`s unlikely you`ll get consensus.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Thu 18 Apr 16:03

Sky Sports in Italy show up to 7 English Premier League games per match day. Sky Italia`s press release said that it was the "most prestigious championship".

DANZ in Spain show pretty much every English Premier League game live as well as the FA Cup.

Canal + in France show every game live and describe the league as "the most popular, most iconic national championship... our subscribers... unanimously recognise the Premier League as the most competitive championship in Europe with the best clubs and players on the planet involved"

Sky Sports in Germany show over 260 games live per season and the others in full with a time delay. Sky Deutschland said that "The Premier League is undoubtedly one of the top rights in international sport".

I know that marketing speak has to be taken with a pinch of salt, but broadcasters in the other top 5 nations all spend hundreds of millions of euros to show hundreds of live English Premier League matches. In the UK, our broadcasters regularly refuse to pay buttons for rights to La Liva, Ligue Un, Serie A and the Bundesliga and when they do, they usually only show one or two games max per week.

That tells you everything to know about the relative strength of the Premier League in countries that also have competitions that could argue they are the "best league in the World".

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 18 Apr 16:15

But it`s English so therefore its overhyped.

:-)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 18 Apr 16:24

Since the Champions League started how many winners have there been from each of the `big` leagues?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 18 Apr 16:43

Quote:

wee eck, Thu 18 Apr 16:24

Since the Champions League started how many winners have there been from each of the `big` leagues?

England 7, Spain 12, Germany, 4, France 1 Italy, 5, Holland 1 Portugal 1
Since 1992,

But England have had 4 different teams win out of seven where as Spain has only had the two. Italy has had 3 outta 5 Germany only 2 teams have won.

If your implying that Spains 12 wins means it`s the best league in the world is kinda wrong because they just have the two best teams in the world they would be in the top 4 in England or thereabouts.

It`s kinda like saying because the old firm would beat most if not all off English league 1 then therefore the spl is better than league 1 when in reality it isn`t.

(In my opinion)

Post Edited (Thu 18 Apr 16:45)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 18 Apr 17:00

Quote:

kelty_par, Thu 18 Apr 16:03

Sky Sports in Italy show up to 7 English Premier League games per match day. Sky Italia`s press release said that it was the "most prestigious championship".

DANZ in Spain show pretty much every English Premier League game live as well as the FA Cup.

Canal + in France show every game live and describe the league as "the most popular, most iconic national championship... our subscribers... unanimously recognise the Premier League as the most competitive championship in Europe with the best clubs and players on the planet involved"

Sky Sports in Germany show over 260 games live per season and the others in full with a time delay. Sky Deutschland said that "The Premier League is undoubtedly one of the top rights in international sport".

I know that marketing speak has to be taken with a pinch of salt, but broadcasters in the other top 5 nations all spend hundreds of millions of euros to show hundreds of live English Premier League matches. In the UK, our broadcasters regularly refuse to pay buttons for rights to La Liva, Ligue Un, Serie A and the Bundesliga and when they do, they usually only show one or two games max per week.

That tells you everything to know about the relative strength of the Premier League in countries that also have competitions that could argue they are the "best league in the World".

Alternative view - if it`s so good, the companies who paid ££££ for the product shouldn`t even need to market it.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 18 Apr 18:07

I suppose I created the original post because all we were getting talk about was Man City v Arsenal in CL before a ball was kicked - so found the end results rather amusing…

For me, the best league in the world is the one that’s most competitive, and while there may be differences between top and bottom, there’s no real runaway finishers… or at least there’s a few who are all jockeying for top spot.

So for me, the best league in the world is the most competitive one, even I’d the skills of the players aren’t as high

As a side note, I always feel sorry for fans of dominating clubs because they only ever can feel disappointed if they don’t win or at best, have their expectations met if they do. I genuinely don’t believe a league win for them creates the same excitement as a win for us
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 18 Apr 18:10

By your criteria then the EPl is the most competitive and therefore the best?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: shellypar  
Date:   Thu 18 Apr 18:17

Quote:

weemike, Thu 18 Apr 18:10

By your criteria then the EPl is the most competitive and therefore the best?

I would say the english championship and scottish championship are the most entertaining, as even on the last day so many teams are fighting for something, rather than just a boring midtable finish you know?

COYP
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 18 Apr 18:51

English championship better
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: USMac  
Date:   Thu 18 Apr 18:56

What are the odds that all 5 EPL teams exit Europe in roughly 24 hours?
2 out already, Liverpool and West Ham have tall tasks today, and Lille has leveled against Villa.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Thu 18 Apr 19:03

EPL most competitive, only 2 different winners in last 6 years, Man City on track to win 6 of the last 7 league flags .

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Fri 19 Apr 13:39

Pedant alert: the English champions don`t get a flag, that`s just in Scotland. As is getting their first game of the following season at home.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net