DAFC.net
Home 02 May 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Magic of the FA Cup
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Fri 19 Apr 12:12

A wee team battles out a home draw with a big team and are rewarded with a replay at a stadium where they and their fans can enjoy the day of their lives, whatever the result .
Now the bullying FA/EPL want replays ditched to accommodate more money spinning EURO ties.
Sheer greed.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Magic of the FA Cup
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Fri 19 Apr 13:32

Scandalous stuff. And for many reasons.

1. It seems that the PL and FA have agreed this without asking or indees even informing the other 700 odd clubs involved. Some members of the FA Board seemed to be in the dark.

2. This is for all rounds - even those the PL clubs aren`t involved in. Absolutely crazy that clubs who don`t take part in these early rounds can dictate this.

3. Fixture congestion is of course the reason but most Championship clubs play more games than most Premier League clubs, many League 1, 2 and National Leagie sides play more games, the PL clubs have deep and highly paid squads (and have under 23s in the Bristol St Motors Cup), and the top clubs are happy enough to play friendlies abroad (Newcastle are playing Tottenham 3 days after the season ends... in Australia!)

4. There are some clubs in the Premier League (e.g. Luton and Brentford) who could have went to the wall in the recent past without the windfall of a cup replay gate.

5. The FA Cup is moving again (to TNT I believe) and the broadcasters will be losing out on midweek replay games for their schedules. I can`t imagine they`ll be too happy with that.

No surprise that the only folk who.seem happy with this are Armchair fans of the "big six". There`s already talk of a boycott etc next season and I hope they change their mind. Easiest compromise would be that if both clubs agreen to playing to a finish then there`s no replay, but if there is no agreement then it goes to a second game. Simple solution really.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 19 Apr 14:07

A wee team battles out a home draw and then paps a big club out on penalties causing a huge upset and progresses to the next round. That sounds like the magic of the FA cup to me as opposed to getting a replay just to get a pay out and have your belly tickled.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: aaaaaaaaaargh  
Date:   Fri 19 Apr 15:07

I feel sorry for the smaller clubs, but I think people are overestimating the effect that removing replays will have.

I took a quick look at the last few years and very few clubs would have lost out on big pay-days. Shrewsbury managed to get replays at big clubs 3 years in a row, so they would have lost a lot of cash. Apart from them you need to go back to Newport and Rochdale in 2018 when both managed to get replays against Tottenham, but as TOWK says they might have won the first match and had a big pay-out in the next round anyway with the new rules.

The `magic` of the FA cup will still be there without replays. Maybe dropping extra-time and going straight to penalties will give smaller clubs a better chance at upsets.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Sat 20 Apr 11:26

It`s not the money - it`s the fact that it might be the only chance players, staff or supporters of the smaller clubs get to play at Anfield, Old Trafford or the Emirates. It`s the magic of a big night under the lights. It`s seeing your name in the hat for the next round and dreaming about what`s next. Of course it can be the other way too - a backs to the ball performance away at a bigger club then taking them back to your place with the astroturf pitch, portakabin changing rooms and fans so close to the pitch you can feel their breath on you as you take a throw in. And yes there is a financial implication to it, but for two clubs in the lower leagues who have a replay in round one, it has absolutely no effect on the Premier League teams who aren`t even in the competition yet. It`s interesting that a lot of EFL clubs have made statements against this yet the Premier League clubs haven`t mare statements in favour, simply sending their managers out to face scrutiny when they almost to man have no idea what it`s like to be at or a supporter of a small club.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net