DAFC.net
Home 28 September 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Sat 18 May 13:43

Anyone on here remember this ?
From people on Sunday newspaper July 11th 1971.
How did this play out ?
Did we accept his offer ?

Found this paper a few years back and always meant to post here and ask about it.

Admin
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: 1971
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Sat 18 May 14:14

Probably the board were scared it would effect their own self interests so they didn`t take it up. Way before my time though, so I couldn`t say. I remember in the 90s, The Dunfermline Press would from time to time have articles featuring some former Dunfermline resident who had made his fortune abroad where he now lived (my memory is hazy, think it was Australia but may have been America, think his name may have been Drysdale, but could be wrong on that too).

There used to always be hints that he had money to invest but I think he sponsored the Player of The Year Award and that was as deep as his pockets went. I always had dreams he would take over and spend his Brewster`s Millions on the team.

I wonder who the richest Pars fan in the world is now, and is they fancy investing
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sat 18 May 14:17

Drysdale lived in Australia..I have a very vague recollection of him being involved in the club.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Sat 18 May 14:20

Quote:

jake89, Sat 18 May 14:17

Drysdale lived in Australia..I have a very vague recollection of him being involved in the club.

Yes, It was George Drysdale. There is a good obituary on him here. Had an interesting life. Must have been richer than I thought. Didn`t like spending money but bought a golf course for over 6 million Aus Dollars

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.smh.com.au/national/scotsman-born-into-poverty-proved-a-canny-businessman-20100802-1137g.html

Post Edited (Sat 18 May 14:20)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Sat 18 May 14:56

Grew up knowing this name from being a POTY sponsor. Had no idea proper cash was rejected so long before that though.

Ep.17 of East End Tales is out now with Andrius Skerla

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/15082607
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sat 18 May 16:05

Was he the scrap merchant who wanted to buy up the club ?

There were two businessmen who made separate overtures to “invest” around that era but I can’t mind details after all these years.

Then it all ended in tears end of 71-72 failing to beat Dundee United in final league game with the late Barrie Mitchell choosing to down tools from kick off - prompting Willie Callaghan to engage in a close encounter of the physical type in the dressing room …….allegedly. 😁
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: yorkiepar  
Date:   Sat 18 May 20:53

Jim Murphy was a bad piece of work. My mum had been at school with his wife, Eadie, and had to “help her out” on many occasions due to her husband’s treatment of her. His “philanthropic” gesture to DAFC was anything but: he was just looking for any opportunity to cash in and make money. I think I’m right in saying that he was proposing to start greyhound racing at EEP. Truly those were very dark days for the Club.

Post Edited (Mon 20 May 13:41)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net