DAFC.net
Home 28 September 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Heroes to zeroes
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 24 Jun 11:00

It doesn`t seem so long ago we were being told this was the best squad of Scotland players we`d had in years but this morning we`re hearing that they`re not good enough to compete at the top level and all the old questions are being raised about grass-roots football, coaching, etc. I think Archie McPherson, who started covering Scotland`s tournament campaigns in 1974, said it was the worst team he`d seen in that time. Less than a fortnight ago he was forecasting a 1-1 draw with Germany!

For all our much-praised midfield players we seem to lack someone who can unlock a defence with a telling pass or a mazy run and powerful strikes from outside the box are as rare as hens` teeth. Wingers seem to be too unpredictable to be trusted in the starting line-up. We`ve been unfortunate with injuries to key players like Hickey, Dykes and Ferguson, who might have been given a chance to replicate his form for Bologna had he been fit, and latterly Tierney who can be an attacking threat from deep at times. Sadly, their absences just illustrate the lack of depth you need to succeed at the top level.

A couple of random thoughts . Firstly, I`d like to see Leanne Crichton given some kind of role in the Scotland set-up. She seems to be tactically aware and not afraid to express an opinion. Which brings me to my second point - where is Michael Stewart? Has he been part of any media team at the Euros?

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Heroes to zeroes
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Mon 24 Jun 11:41

A few thoughts.

Injuries cost us - Hickey in particular as Ralston was badly exposed and targeted by every single one of our opponents. Dykes was also a big loss as his ability to win headers and hold the ball up brings our actual goal threats (McGinn and McTominay) into play. We missed Tierney too.

I don`t think Ferguson was a big loss as it`s unlikely he`d have started over McGregor. He should be ahead of McGregor in the pecking order, but he`s not.

Shankland was underused. Now we have no idea if he`s a `natural golascorer` at a higher level. He looked OK when he came on, but was short of minutes.

we should have taken Ryan Gauld who`s a bit different - can spot a pass and has a decent shot from distance on him.

We`re really short of quality in goals. Gunn is OK, but really short on confidence, and that translated to the defence.

I still don`t understand why we cannot produce `top level` players in Scotland, most `smaller` teams at this comp have `stand out` superstars in their squads....Sesko, Kvartashkelia etc. - starting players at clubs almost guaranteed to get into the CL group stages next season (well `league` stage to be pedantic). Do we have any players, other than McGinn, in that category?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PansPar  
Date:   Mon 24 Jun 11:42

I agree with a lot of that wee eck and have a lot of time for Leanne Chricton, who always seems to me very well balanced in her view and quite knowledgeable about the game.

Our mentality always seems to suffer when we qualify - when you look at the difference in performance against Spain, Norway and Denmark compared to Hungary, Switzerland, Czech Rep etc, the set up is partly the issue, but it also seems like that belief that we can win - any sort of fearlessness - has evaporated.

Other teams seem to have a knack of doing the opposite, struggling a bit in qualifying, but really clicking when they get to any major tournament.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JamesAndrew74  
Date:   Mon 24 Jun 11:48

Quote:

PansPar, Mon 24 Jun 11:42

I agree with a lot of that wee eck and have a lot of time for Leanne Chricton, who always seems to me very well balanced in her view and quite knowledgeable about the game.

Our mentality always seems to suffer when we qualify - when you look at the difference in performance against Spain, Norway and Denmark compared to Hungary, Switzerland, Czech Rep etc, the set up is partly the issue, but it also seems like that belief that we can win - any sort of fearlessness - has evaporated.

Other teams seem to have a knack of doing the opposite, struggling a bit in qualifying, but really clicking when they get to any major tournament.

Crichton would get zero respect from any player at elite international level. Stop comparing men’s and women sports, she’s a good analyst but she’s never going to be an elite international coach for a men’s team.

Speak to most players in the game and they have the same level of knowledge. That’s a suggestion from someone that’s never been around football clubs that’s for sure.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Mon 24 Jun 11:48

Time to start bringing the younger players into the squad, injuries to key young players hit our squad badly, Doak being the last youngster to be injured.

But would he have been selected?

We were needing an injection of pace and creativity last night, think that Forrest might have done a job?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Jun 12:04

"Crichton would get zero respect from any player at elite international level. Stop comparing men’s and women sports, she’s a good analyst but she’s never going to be an elite international coach for a men’s team."

By that logic no men should be capable of being elite international coaches of women`s teams?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Jun 12:05

`Crichton would get zero respect from any player at elite international level. Stop comparing men’s and women sports, she’s a good analyst but she’s never going to be an elite international coach for a men’s team.

Speak to most players in the game and they have the same level of knowledge. That’s a suggestion from someone that’s never been around football clubs that’s for sure.`

It seems we`re stuck in the 20th century, if not the 19th. She seems to get respect from her fellow-pundits, including that old warhorse, Willie Miller. I daresay most players have a high degree of knowledge of the game but whether they can communicate it meaningfully to others is another matter.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Jun 12:59

Quote:

wee eck, Mon 24 Jun 12:05

`Crichton would get zero respect from any player at elite international level. Stop comparing men’s and women sports, she’s a good analyst but she’s never going to be an elite international coach for a men’s team.

Speak to most players in the game and they have the same level of knowledge. That’s a suggestion from someone that’s never been around football clubs that’s for sure.`

It seems we`re stuck in the 20th century, if not the 19th. She seems to get respect from her fellow-pundits, including that old warhorse, Willie Miller. I daresay most players have a high degree of knowledge of the game but whether they can communicate it meaningfully to others is another matter.

Don’t be silly. Respect on the radio is one thing, ask WM if he’d like to be managed or coached by her I’m sure you’ll get a different (in private) answer.
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Mon 24 Jun 13:02

I don`t know Willie Miller so I can`t ask him. You`re obviously one of those people who don`t have to ask any questions because you know all the answers already.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Jun 13:17

Quote:

wee eck, Mon 24 Jun 13:02

I don`t know Willie Miller so I can`t ask him. You`re obviously one of those people who don`t have to ask any questions because you know all the answers already.

There’s a reason she sits as studio analyst. Amazes me that all these Chairmen, Owners, CEOs haven’t appointed her to any position already if she’d make a difference.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Jun 13:24

Maybe they`re dinosaurs like you. That group of football men are hardly infallible in their decision-making.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Jun 13:26

@JamesAndrew74?

Are you comfortable with the idea of men coaching top level women`s teams?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Back_oh_the_net  
Date:   Mon 24 Jun 13:53

Think you already know what his answer is going to be bandy
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Jun 14:15

Quote:

Bandy, Mon 24 Jun 13:26

@JamesAndrew74?

Are you comfortable with the idea of men coaching top level women`s teams?

Couldn’t really care. Completely different levels of ability and wouldn’t watch women’s football for free. I’d suggest women if qualified Cooch there own sport, as they do in golf and rugby
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Jun 15:21

So therefore men should also coach their own sports.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Jun 15:23

Quote:

Bandy, Mon 24 Jun 15:21

So therefore men should also coach their own sports.

Perfect. Problem solved and no silly ideas about women coaching senior men’s football.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Jun 15:43

Good to know that you think gender based discrimination is `Perfect`.

Any way - back on topic. Scotland needs to evolve - it`ll be hard to do as the `get intae them` approach to football is championed so heavily here. And it`s championed because in the short term in can yield decent rewards - it`s only in the longer term that the limitations in that approach reveal themselves.

Somehow the whole of scottish football needs to move away from short termism, which is really hard to do with our bonkers league structure.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Mon 24 Jun 16:09

Maybe our owners might have the right idea after all?

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 14:24

Nations league for me is now massive. Keep calling up the guys that he has been loyal to and it could be suicide, Blood youngsters and start intgrating into the squad and id be "satisfied" losing games to show we are moving to the future.

Potentially getting to xmas 1 win in 18 games (Gibraltar).

Team potentially lining up

Gunn

Paterson
Ryan Porteous (Jack Morrison)
Jack Hendry
Josh Doig

Mcginn
Barron
Gilmour
Mctominay
Doak

Conway

Would keep guys like Mcgregor around the squad for experince but really is time to start integrating players for the future.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: thebear  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 14:33

Time to change scottish football full stop, how many players play in Scotland, how many qualify due to parents. In summary how many play in scitland and and are brought up on scottish football, not many.
In Scotland it dominated by the old firm, but how many are Scots.
Therefore the catch area for scotland players iss small and going to get smaller I to is incredibly small. We have to go back to two keagues and not have it dominated by two teams.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 14:46

Quote:

Playup_Pompey, Tue 25 Jun 14:24

Nations league for me is now massive. Keep calling up the guys that he has been loyal to and it could be suicide, Blood youngsters and start intgrating into the squad and id be "satisfied" losing games to show we are moving to the future.

Potentially getting to xmas 1 win in 18 games (Gibraltar).

Team potentially lining up

Gunn

Paterson
Ryan Porteous (Jack Morrison)
Jack Hendry
Josh Doig

Mcginn
Barron
Gilmour
Mctominay
Doak

Conway

Would keep guys like Mcgregor around the squad for experince but really is time to start integrating players for the future.

Dropping Robbo and Tierney, No Hickey? That`s 3 of our best players
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Luxembourg Par  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 14:53

Quote:

thebear, Tue 25 Jun 14:33

Time to change scottish football full stop, how many players play in Scotland, how many qualify due to parents. In summary how many play in scitland and and are brought up on scottish football, not many.
In Scotland it dominated by the old firm, but how many are Scots.
Therefore the catch area for scotland players iss small and going to get smaller I to is incredibly small. We have to go back to two keagues and not have it dominated by two teams.

We have 5 squad players born in England and one in IOM
Hardly the worst - Albania have 18 of their squad born in other countries.
Turkey and Croatia have 8

Post Edited (Tue 25 Jun 14:54)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 15:08

"Dropping Robbo and Tierney, No Hickey? That`s 3 of our best players"

Tierney I have real concerns about his ability to remain injury free. Id actually play him as a CB rather than a fullback. IF he can get a run of games he is integral to the team, for me we seen on sunday how much robertson misses having him beside/behind him. Robertson will be 34 at the start of the next euros. Again funemental to our next WC qualifying campaign but lets not be in a position that he is retiring and anyone coming is is new blood when there are windows to integrate some youth into squad now. Similarly Hickey, would 100% be in my team but needs strong start to season having nor played since last october.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 16:25

Lewis Ferguson

Ryan Gauld

Lewis Morgan
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 16:54

I think the manager had set out his agenda he was going to be very loyal to a set group of players and as far as qualifying to two finals, that has been a success.
He’s got the best out of them and they run through brick walls for him.
Unfortunately he’s also realised they just aren’t good enough when it really matters.

I don’t have the answers. A change of manager will solve nothing. David Moyes being mentioned but will he be like all the rest and use us as a stepping stone back to club football?

I’d keep it as it is and hope we can bring in fresh players with real quality in the coming couple of years.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 17:15

Poland currently having a right go at France. Austria beating Netherlands. No p1ssing about, no frigid tactics akin to a wee virgin nervous about his hole.

Ep.17 of East End Tales is out now with Andrius Skerla

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/15082607
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 18:01

Quote:

EastEndTales, Tue 25 Jun 17:15

Poland currently having a right go at France. Austria beating Netherlands. No p1ssing about, no frigid tactics akin to a wee virgin nervous about his hole.

That`s an extremely strange way to talk.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 21:24

And an extremely worrying way to think
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net