DAFC.net
Home 28 September 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 The Tartan Army
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 15:27

I saw a guy in the supermarket today wearing a Scotland T-shirt bearing the venues and dates of our three fixtures in Germany. I don`t know if it`s official merchandise or not.

It set me thinking about the TA foot-soldiers of a Pars` persuasion who must be back home now. What was the experience like for them and what are their reflections on our performances?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: The Tartan Army
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 15:31

I`d imagine their reflections on our performances would all be the same....eg , we were rubbish , whatever the reason.
It`s hard to say different.
At least the tartan army are being praised highly (as usual) , even if our football isn`t 🤣

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 15:57

The experience of being there for the first week was incredible - the German hospitality was brilliant, there was very little trouble that we seen (if any in fact) but the train services could have been a bit better.

The game in KĂśln, especially when we scored, is most likely in my top 3 games of all time as an experience. Typically mind you the results were the downside to the tournament.

Fan zone in Munich was a disaster, the one in Dusseldorf we attended for a bit was much better so very much a hit or a miss.

All in all a great experience overall though, just wish results had gone our way
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SusieQ  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 16:02

Lifetime ambition of watching Scotland in a tournament abroad finally realised & it was bloody brilliant.

Got home last night around half 1 am. The Germans def didn`t want us to leave as there were train cancellations & delays!

No idea how to sum up the last 12 days tbh - it was absolutely wonderful. All 3 host cities were fantastic and welcoming.

Each of the 3 stadiums was impressive in their own way, tho I must admit, Stuttgart was prob my least favourite.

The fan walk in Cologne was an absolute highlight, but it was just an incredible experience overall.

One criticism would be some transport issues.

There were a few difficulties getting to / from the stadiums. Packed into hot stations & trains, especially in summer was ridiculous, along with the free for alls in the DB trains trying to move cities with luggage - seat reservations appear to mean very little, and in our case between Munich & Cologne, we couldn`t even get into the carriage we`d booked, never mind the seats! Not easy when lugging big cases about.

It was a bit disappointing that all of our games were at 9pm meaning , with the transport away from the grounds it wasn't possible to go for a few drinks after to debate / discuss the match. Staying outwith the cities meant we had to just head back to hotels & again, problematic with the time taken to leave the grounds meaning the ticketholder fans passes offering free local transport were essentially useless - 2 out of 3 games we ended up having to get taxis as didn't make it back to the hauptbahnhofs in time.

I`ve had previous visits to Germany and loved it every time - this trip still surpassed all my expectations, even with some travel problems.

Warm, friendly people, great beer (bizarrely not 1 hangover all trip lol). Fans of other teams singing No Scotland No party with us / at us lol.

It`s been a truly unforgettable summer - just a shame we couldn`t get an extension but then that`s just not the Scottish way.

We came, we saw, we didn`t conquer, but boy did we party!

Can`t wait for the next one, with perhaps some better footy fortunes for once.

We live, as always in hope.

COME ON YE PARS!

Post Edited (Tue 25 Jun 16:11)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JnrB  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 16:06

Yup, the games were pihs.

Munich and cologne, brilliant party atmosphere, good beer, good food, friendly and accommodating hosts.

Surprisingly small police presence in Munich. Cologne was the opposite, large amounts of police but didn’t see any trouble.

Cologne especially was brilliant, array of nationalities all mingling and having a good time, apart from the English who tended to group together and keep to themselves

We had a day out in Dortmund when no one was playing there and it was dead, quite a few England fans about but very little atmosphere. We spoke to some Scottish guys and they said that the day of the Albania Italy game the place was mobbed and brilliant. But the day after for the Serbia England game the Scottish guys went back to their hotel early as there was trouble in the fanzone and the police had informed the bars to stop selling drink to the England fans.

Unforgettable trip where we also went to Slovenia for a couple days before the tournament started. What a beautiful country, well worth a visit.

Edited to add : As Susie said, the trains were poor and unreliable for us as well.

Post Edited (Tue 25 Jun 16:07)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 87Par  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 16:09

Spent the whole week in Frankfurt hummed and hawed about going to Cologne. Made the right choice I think by not going the fanzone in Frankfurt had loads of Scottish, German, Danish and Swiss. Some English boys there. No trouble whatsoever. Place went mad when we scored.

Met some guys who based themselves in Frankfurt at our hotel and went to Munich and Cologne from there. They were on the go for nearly 24 hours due to using regional trains etc. They did have tickets for the game against Switzerland though. Just wish we did the business on Sunday but not to be.

Post Edited (Tue 25 Jun 16:10)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Roger Daltrey  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 17:20

We were in Cologne extra fanzone for the Switzerland game and it was unbelievable. Must have been 30k+ Scots in there. Live music before game and half time and plenty German`s came along to support us.

Was gutted to miss Munich, but Cologne more than made up for it. The city was bouncing.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 17:23

Colonge absolutley off the scale with anything i have seen in my time following Scotland. The sheer number of fans in the city was incredible. The stadium brilliant.

Didn`t see too much bother but certainly a rise in the "coked up" youngsters starting to follow games which is a worry ahead of Nations league games later in the year.

The media coverage of how well recieved scotland fans were in germany is a marketing dream...if only there was a scottish club with german inverstors with links to club football in germany who could tap into that market fairly quickly whilst its the "crest of a wave"

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: DJAS  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 18:49

Allianz was a superb stadium but a pain to get in and out of for our group. Like sardines on the trams and that was us heading up early enough. Before game was fantastic then went downhill when ref blew whistle for start.

Cologne was a better experience. Easier to get in and out as it wasn’t tucked away on its own. Pretty nice stadium. People great there. Swiss were great as well.

Stuttgart again was easy enough to get too. Found a bar 30 mins from stadium and owner couldn’t do enough for us. Not a fan of the seats in stadium although you were standing anyway. Probably the worst game for me in terms of pissed up Scots standing in aisles. I can manage to get through but not easy for all.

German people have been brilliant everywhere. We fly back in the morning and I would come back to where we based ourselves in a heartbeat.

Predictor league winner 2012/2013
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 20:32

Quote:

Playup_Pompey, Tue 25 July

The media coverage of how well recieved scotland fans were in germany is a marketing dream...if only there was a scottish club with german inverstors with links to club football in germany who could tap into that market fairly quickly whilst its the "crest of a wave"

If only such a club had the marketing skills to tap into that opportunity
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 20:57

Not sure how the Pars monetize the goodwill for the tartan army amongst the German public.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 21:01

Quote:

DA-go Par Adonis, Tue 25 Jun 20:57

Not sure how the Pars monetize the goodwill for the tartan army amongst the German public.

German pre season tour, selling out stadiums from Hamburg to Munich.

Ep.17 of East End Tales is out now with Andrius Skerla

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/15082607
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 21:02

Although I couldn’t make it over this time, having lived in Dortmund for 16 years, I can concur with many of the comments about Germans loving the Scots mentality about football and partying regardless.

The transport system was never brilliant with basic looking carriages and I well remember going to BVB games stuffed like a sardine with fans drinking and sometimes even smoking but that is the German culture and you just go with it and brilliant.

Stuttgart is probably the worst of the three venues as the place is a shithole and sterile of atmosphere and pubs but glad KĂśln was a venue chosen.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 21:04

We have German flags on our strips and included in our mission statement but unsure how well we are advertised in Germany or any other linkage than the German investors. It may be more on the direction of the Germans they are included rather than any potential to project the club in Germany.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsdaft  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 21:27

Highlight was taking the lead against Switzerland, was fantastic for a bit. KĂśln was a great city and best set up for mass influx. Munich also good but found stuttgart less compact for large groups congregating, lovely nonetheless.

Transport links very unreliable which surprised me.

A moment that made me smile tonight was walking back to hotel at half time in the English game and heard from a busy area what sounded like ‘no Scotland no party’ stopped to listen and it was indeed a German rendition. Summed up how welcome Germany made us welcome.

Home tomorrow 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 and East Fife Friday.

Post Edited (Tue 25 Jun 21:27)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Big T Par  
Date:   Tue 25 Jun 21:32

I`m still here. Home tomorrow. Been an absolute joyous two weeks, apart from the fitbaw, of course. Hellish journey over. We decided to go via the tunnel and it took us 20 odd hours to get to Dortmund, due to the road works on the A1. Diversions were a nightmare and then hitting the outskirts of London in the rush hour. Brutal.

Once here it was just fabulous. The train journeys were superb. Loads of singing and drinking. Great crack. Met loads of great folk and also Had the honour of meeting saltonsgonnagetu, in Wenkers. Great guy.

The cities have been excellent, Köln especially. The fan March was incredible. All the folk coming out of their houses to cheer us on, was just a beautiful sight. Brilliant stadium, atmosphere was off the scale. FOS was spine tingly loud. Fcker to get home after though 😩. The hosts have been so warm and friendly, as expected from coming over here so often. Wonderful folk.

Was lucky enough to get a ticket for the Turkey v Georgia game in Dortmund. Absolutely, biblical rain, but what an amazing game to go to. Game of the tournament for me.

All in all it was a magical time. Away wae yer pals for two weeks, it just doesn`t get any better than that.

Post Edited (Tue 25 Jun 23:03)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
Š 2021-- DAFC.net