DAFC.net
Home 18 October 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Expectations
Topic Originator: 7 Eleven  
Date:   Mon 14 Oct 22:52

Based on the fact that there is a lot of various opinions on expectations of the team it would be quite interesting to see the responses to the following questions:

1. Why do you enjoy watching football?
2. In general (i.e., not specifically relating to the current version of the team), what do you expect to see when you watch Dunfermline play?
3. If the current team played a more pro-active, attacking style of football would you be more empathetic towards the team (players and management) when they lose games?

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Expectations
Topic Originator: pars4life1  
Date:   Mon 14 Oct 23:21

1. Winning, that`s not the expectation of winning, we`re not good enough for that. But pursuit of that with the joy it brings.
2. I`m not entirely sure of the question but I think we should be expecting a team either playing in the top league or actively pursuing that.
3. Couldn`t give a **** about style, it`s about points on the board. Grant pursued an attacking style and he was a useless flower, never would a moan about a team winning in a boring way and nor would I like a team that lost in a supposed exciting way.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: KirklistonPar  
Date:   Tue 15 Oct 07:56

1. Not being a hardcore fan it’s all about entertainment, I want to leave the game having seen both teams fully committed to going out and trying to win the game. I want to see tackles flying in, bombing runs up the wing, crosses going in, diving headers, last ditch tackles, goal line clearances, great saves. Plus goals to set the atmosphere and getting the stadium bouncing. Tight games, comes backs , winning 4-3 or 4-1 not a boring 1 nil.

2 As we’re currently outside the Premiership I’d like to think we should be able to compete with at least the teams in the top half of championshi.

3id prefer a more attacking style of play but there needs to be some balance and tactical flexibility of when to increase pressure and when to back off and protect a lead.ie at home against most opposition we should start the game on the front foot, same if it’s a away game against weaker opposition. We’re never gonna win the Championship passing the ball sideways in our own half and only making a handful of chances of goals scoring opportunities. Should be taking full advantage of teams thet are there for a beating ie Kelty on Saturday. Why wouldn’t the players, management and supporters be happier winning by more goals. Sports all about confidence. Surely nothing makes the team more confident overall than scoring goals.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Tue 15 Oct 08:53

1. I enjoy watching football in general because it`s the best sport in the world. At it`s essence is a simple idea - score more goals than the opposition - but how you go about that, how the other side tries to stop you and do the same to you, how managers can influence things, how involved the crowd gets, how many different types of player there are, etc is pretty unique. There are only so many styles of play in say rugby or American Football or basketball or cricket and the crowd isn`t as involved in any of those. Anyone can play football with some jackets and a pair of rolled up socks. Very few can play it at even a semi decent level.

2. I expect us to be competitive in most games, and competitive overall in whichever competition we are in. That would mean challenging for the title in League One, being in the top half when we`re in the Championship, battling relegation/bottom six of the Premiership. I expect us to win a game or two in each of the cup competitions (draw depending), something that we`ve not been so good l at in recent years. How we go about that doesn`t necessarily important - I`m sure most people would love to see us play a Bert Paton, up and at `em style but I also enjoyed the Calderwood era, some of the stuff we played under Johnston and Crawford, etc. The football under McPake has been mostly tedious although at least is was successful in League One and to a certain extent in the Championship.

3. Yes, I probably would. I want us to go for wins, not try not to lose. I`d rather we won 4-3 than lost 1-0 obviously, but if we lost 4-3 in a humdinger then maybe at least the games wouldn`t be so dull. As it is, I spend a lot of my time at games chatting, looking at my phone etc which is never a good sign.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Luxembourg Par  
Date:   Tue 15 Oct 11:14

If we had to lose, I’d much prefer the 4-3 ‘humdinger’ than a dismal 1-0 with nae shots on goal, 60% possession but turgid sideways passing.

‘Are you not entertained?’

Oh for a Norrie ‘thou shalt not pass’ McCathie?
How about a John ‘gies a goal’ Watson?
(That would require crosses that beat the first defender tho)

A bit of heart, a bit of excitement, even if we lose, we gave it a go, had shots, scored a few goals, at worst - gave us something to talk about after the game. Who just now is reliving any of the games/incidents recently?

There’s nothing worse than the slow, never getting there, buildup that doesn’t even produce a half-chance before petering out and either passing back to the goalie for more of the same, or losing the ball after a slack pass.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Tue 15 Oct 12:23

Aye, when I go to speak to my mates at half time we barely talk about the half of football we`ve just seen. Never used to be that way.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: thebear  
Date:   Tue 15 Oct 13:36

Playing well, financially secure and winning/promotion.
Problem is are we doing any of these at present.
Having said with the exception of a few we have the players to succeed, just need some luck and get on a roll.

Post Edited (Tue 15 Oct 15:41)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MinnesotaAndy  
Date:   Tue 15 Oct 17:00

1. Watching football is simply something you must do, like breathing air.

2. At home: a raucous home support. Away: a raucous away support.

3. Pars are not going to lose another game in the Championship this season.

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Tue 15 Oct 19:47

Interesting questions, for me it`s as follows-
1. Why do you enjoy watching football?
I quite enjoy the tribal aspect of it, our town Vs their town, especially if it`s a local rivalry and both sets of fans are up for it. For the game itself I do go to watch both teams, and love to see some individual bit of magic from a player on either team. There are not many entertaining players these days, but thinking back to some of the skills you used to see guys like Chic Charnley, Davie Cooper, Simon Stainrod attempt, that`s what I pay my money for

2. In general (i.e., not specifically relating to the current version of the team), what do you expect to see when you watch Dunfermline play?
Effort. As long as the players go out there, try their best, I can forgive them if they play badly. I would like to see them play attacking football, I`m a bit of a dinosaur so I`ve got no time for that boring Pepball tippi tappi rubbish, get some route one long balls into the box to a big target man, get a couple of hard men in the spine of the team and get it out to wingers to whip so crosses into the box

3. If the current team played a more pro-active, attacking style of football would you be more empathetic towards the team (players and management) when they lose games? Yes, much better to have a go and try and get the 3 points. I can handle doing that and getting beat much better than playing defensive football and trying to nick a win, and still getting beat
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 15 Oct 20:36

1. Entertainment and pride in the club that represents Dunfermline.
2. A team that graft and gets the job done, or gives it a bloody good shot.
3. Not necessarily attacking football but playing to logical tactics e.g. no fear attacking against teams who are there for the taking and a more defensive approach with counter attacks for harder to beat teams. It often feels like our main aim is to not concede a goal rather than score goals and then when we concede the heads go down.

For me the big issue is we don`t really have many players who you`d say are "Pars". There are a few but we`ve been a team for a number of years now who have survived off short contracts and loans. These might get you out a hole but I want a squad who have the benefit of having played together for a few years and understand each others strengths and weaknesses.

I think we`ll get there with the young boys. The Tods and Sutherland`s seem great prospects and we`ve seen that Young doesn`t look out of place in the squad.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Wed 16 Oct 10:23

Question 3 is an interesting one.

It’s one thing being set up more to attack but if you have to watch the same limited players playing the same way making poor decisions and missing the target etc it will quickly become tedious. We are poor at taking our chances due to lacking the right players in the right areas, the league doesn’t lie in this regard.

Guess it fits into question 1, I expect us to compete and not be outfought in this league, we should be a match for any team or at least in with a shout of the points. As fans we go to see how new players do and how they improve the team and there hasn’t been so many of these since we came back up. We also want to see existing players improve and if they don’t good luck to them.

I’m also used to a decent forward player as we have usually had one in the squad, from Petrie to dom Thomas.

Since dom left it’s been a grind with not one player who has that ability to regularly go past a man and create something out of nothing. The current set up is too focussed on grinding to sneak a 1-0 but we don’t have the players to do this at this level.

Post Edited (Wed 16 Oct 10:31)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Wed 16 Oct 10:43

I just want to be able to look forward to a Saturday at 3pm rather than dreading it.

Just glad my boys are completely Pars converts so it`s something we all have in common, we share the pain and frustration, the end of the week mindless optimism and rare moments of absolute joy.

Still love this old club of ours.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Wed 16 Oct 10:45

1. I enjoy watching football for goalmouth action ,but have to be emotionallyvested in the team ,Pars, Scotland

2.I hope for a win ,but expect some sort of attacking play, Pep ball at City is bad enough ,but limited ability players being asked to play that style is infuriating

3. Yes I`d be forgiving of a mid table finish if we played attacking football, dull football and being involved in a relegation battle for the 2nd year is depressing.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Thu 17 Oct 00:51

I expect silverware this season

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Thu 17 Oct 07:57

I also expect to make the semi finals of the fife cup.

Although shipyard have a good team this year!

The post below replying to me is by one of .nets finest champions of mediocrity!
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net