DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Why did you become a Par?
Topic Originator: AlfieAA  
Date:   Thu 8 Jun 13:39

I'd imaging that a thread like this has been done before, but i'm starting this one anyway. I apologies for my writing, i'm no author.

Neither of my parents were into sport at all, so I never really had any sporting influence when growing up. My Grandad was a Pars fan, but i think he was more of an armchair fan as I don't recall him ever attending games, he did work most weekends though. Anyway, I attended Carnock primary school and when in P6, the P6s and 7s got a day trip to East End Park. We met the legends that are Bert Paton and Norrie McCathie and were given a tour of the stadium by them. I'm 31 now, but can still remember how good they both were with us. It was that day that made me start to follow the Pars. The day trip also came with free tickets to the next home game against Hamilton Accies, we won 2-1. That was my first ever Pars game. I nearly gave my dad a black eye when I jumped up to celebrate our first goal. Since that fateful day I have always followed the Pars, even if i still wasn't a regular attendee at matches. My dad took me along to a couple of games, but they were few and far between. The one I remember the most was a cup game against Celtic. We held them to a 2-2 draw, in what I thought was a thrilling game. I also recall locking eyes with some wifie on a Celtic bus and her flashing me the finger. Charming. Even as an adult it seemed to take me ages to become a regular match attendee, even though I considered myself to be a fan. Last season was about my 6th season as a regular attendee at East End Park, and this season will be my first as a season ticket holder. I'm so grateful that we got that day trip to East End Park, because without it, god only knows what i'd be getting up to on Saturday afternoons.

Once played pool with Norrie McCathie in the players lounge.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Why did you become a Par?
Topic Originator: FergPar  
Date:   Thu 8 Jun 13:48

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Thu 8 Jun 13:55

I found dotnet and had a good browse then decided there was an urgent need to improve the gene pool.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Thu 8 Jun 14:05

It's my local team. They represent part of who I am.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Thu 8 Jun 14:07

Moved to Dunfermline when I was 11.
Joined the scouts and one weekend they were all going to game v Hibs in the cup.
Drew 1-1 with Leonard scoring for Pars.

My mother wouldn't let me go to games on my own so wasn't til the next season Clyde game at home when I found some pals to go with that I started regular.
The next season I became a ball boy at East End.
The rest is history. And the bit I told you....that is also history.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dpard  
Date:   Thu 8 Jun 14:22

Went to my first game when I was 7 and went for a couple years but wasn't a 'proper fan' at that age as I never caught the 'bug' as such. Never really supported anyone from 9-13 as was too busy playing football myself but always looked out for Pars scores. Added to the fact my mum never pushed me to support anyone in particular and would buy me lots of different tops when I was young. I even went to a couple of Falkirk games when I was around 10 with my stepdad and I know there is a pic of me in a Falkirk top somewhere at my mums from that age. (Head hung in shame)
Started going back to East end when I was 14 and have never left since. I played in the youth team for a couple of years also and regrettably for me I mucked that up.
Nowadays I couldn't even contemplate supporting anyone else.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars11  
Date:   Thu 8 Jun 14:29

Family tradition to follow the Pars. Lucky enough to see all the great Pars and other great teams from 1965 on including European opposition. Closer to home cup opponents fielded some great players likes of Clyde Best. George Best playing league football for Hibernian, Davie Cooper, Ray MacKinnon and Wullie Johnston of Rangers. Jimmy Johnstone and Kenny Daglish of Celtic all gave games an edge that remain strong memories. The tradition carries on with sons and grandsons all Pars supporters. Still remember the pain of Alex Fergusons transfer, relegation in the early 70's, return of Bert and Leishman as managers. All of these things came to the fore in recent years of financial woes. Support another team never, glory hunters who look elsewhere will never realise what it takes to ride the emotional rollercoaster that the Pars provide. I just love the feeling when the Pars win or have played a blinder performance.

Bluebell Polka
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Thu 8 Jun 14:34

My uncle Joe was the the kit man and my grandad the groundsman Jackie Hart who was there for years....
So I had an attachment to the Pars..

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: dave67  
Date:   Thu 8 Jun 14:36

'' I attended Carnock primary school and when in P6, the P6s and 7s got a day trip to East End Park''

Would you say the school visit Helped make up your mind AlfieAA

Just so I can pass info to Tours for Schools

Let`s try making it till Christmas
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Mon-pa  
Date:   Thu 8 Jun 14:40

Best part of my childhood was going to see the pars with my pals. Always a thrill to get through turnstiles and get into the stadium and see the pitch. Really special. Pars in my blood; pars tillI die Coyp!

ARTY
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Thu 8 Jun 14:51

Dad worked on the turnstyles and took me along from Mid 90s. This was stopped by the club when promoted to Premier league (at the time) and i then got a season ticket. Dad was originally from the West and was a season ticket holder for years at Celtic but was happy to just get out and watch football on a saturday so followed Dunfermline. Scottish football does get very stale pretty quickly and 20 years since my first game the appeal of watching Dunfermline hasn't gone but the thought of some away games bores me to tears.

Probably similar to him now that i find myself attending junior games etc on a Saturday when no league games etc on. Enjoy visiting new grounds and last few years have taken in champions league games to see some of the best players of our generation.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Thu 8 Jun 14:53

I was brought up as a blue nose. All my dads side were rangers fans. My cousin even bought himself a Rangers kit with the money he got from his first communion.
I was at Ibrox shortly after souness took over at Govan. All around the ground were 50,000 so called football fans singing about a battle that happened in a different country 300 years before. At that exact moment I decided I wouldn't set foot in that $h!t hole again.
Around the same time my youngest sister was dating a pars fan from lochgelly. After going to a couple of games at EEP I was hooked.
Been a pars fan ever since, season ticket holder for last 20 years.

I have been back at snake mountain a few times since, but in the correct end this time.

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 8 Jun 15:06

dave67. I would say with absolute certainty that the school visit is the number 1 reason for me being a Pars fan today. It was that day that put the Pars on my radar and gave me a reason to support a club. Even if it did take me a while to become a regular lol.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Calabar par  
Date:   Thu 8 Jun 15:12

My grandad played for Dunfermline b4 the war (George Harrison) but can't find anything about him as a player.
Just got old pictures of him playing.
My brother in law also took me too see the pars when I was 10,and been going ever since.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Thu 8 Jun 15:16

Quote:

dave67, Thu 8 Jun 14:36

'' I attended Carnock primary school and when in P6, the P6s and 7s got a day trip to East End Park''

It was going along with scouts that got me started. Maybe club can look at getting tours for scouts/cubs/bb's.
Give a wee taster and get them hooked.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Lambo1885  
Date:   Thu 8 Jun 15:18

My Dad went home and away all his life, took me to my first game Jan 85 and I've joined him ever since. Was interesting growing up in Kdy, altho there were quite a few of us Pars.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Thu 8 Jun 15:42

I was passing the ground on ma bike one Saturday .... 1979 at a guess .... and the big gates were wide open.
So I had a wee look , there was a game going on .... that was it . I was a pars fan.
My mum wasn't happy when I told her where I'd been that day .. cos we lived in abbey view .... and I was only 8 years old.
I fair got about on that bike lol

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PAR57  
Date:   Thu 8 Jun 15:58

First few years I lived in Malta. We came back to live in Kelty for a wee while.
My Aunt was a Postie, working for Jimmy McConville [ Jimmy's family are still in contact ] so the link with the Pars was formed.
I saw most of the big European nights at EEP........Including the West Brom "Hawthorns" game beamed back to EEP onto the big screens.....my mother allowed me to attend EEP aged 11, as long as I took a wee flask of tea and a sandwich for my supper !!!!!!!!
Needless to say, when the Paddy Gardner goal went into the net......the full flask went spinning upwards...only to shatter a few yards away...no tea !!!

I have often thought that there is mileage in having a wee get together at EEP and share a few stories, there must be hundreds of Pars fans still around with these memories......COYP.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dino1986  
Date:   Thu 8 Jun 16:14

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 8 Jun 18:40

Topic Originator: sadindiefreak like | nolike
Date: Thu 8 Jun 15:16

Quote:

dave67, Thu 8 Jun 14:36

It was going along with scouts that got me started. Maybe club can look at getting tours for scouts/cubs/bb's.
Give a wee taster and get them hooked.

Not so easy when they want to come along at night But definitely something to look into

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cheshire par  
Date:   Thu 8 Jun 19:24

Lived in Headwell Road and could hear the crowd from there. My mum used to take us to the youth games in the 80's. Left Dunfermline when I was 9 and this made me support them even more.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Thu 8 Jun 19:31

Only moved to Dunfermline 4 years ago, brought up supporting Celtic but have always watched live matches wherever I have lived.
Thought with my boy 6 years old at the time best bring him up supporting the local team. Now it's in his blood, we visited 14 grounds last season and his ambition is to captain Scotland and the Pars at the same time.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Thu 8 Jun 19:37

I was practically brought up at E.E.P. my dad was groundsman in the Jock Stein era
and i used to spend my summer holidays up there, most of the cup winning team were there and i used to have a lot of fun and got a few backside kicks , a lot of my mates left to support the usual suspects , but i will always be a Par
C.O.Y.P

G.B

Post Edited (Thu 08 Jun 20:02)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SeasonedPar  
Date:   Thu 8 Jun 21:15

Good thread, some nice stories there.

The Schools Engagement Programme for the season has just finished. A total of 126 school visits, reaching 2,864 local primary, secondary schools and pupil support centres. Schools are already booking up for next season. All run by volunteers. Update at the Supporter's Council last month.

On top of free season tickets to under 12's, bringing the young fans closer to all the players and the club and hopefully develop fans for the present and future.

More details on COWS, http://www.dafc.co.uk/news.php?c=Community&sc=Schools%20Engagement

Plans to re-vamp these pages in hand...

I started with the Pars in the late 1960's. What an era. Scottish Cup win, European nights, regular wins against all Scots teams, plus some fantastic players. Spoiled for great games and great EEP nights.

Post Edited (Thu 08 Jun 21:17)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pargelly  
Date:   Thu 8 Jun 21:42

When I was at primary school everyone supported celtic ,when it was the Lisbon lyon's ect ,then after going to st'columbas ,me and another boy decided to go to a few pars games ,that was that ,I did manage to see the likes of ernie mcgarr john lunn and even leish play at the time , think it was late 70s ,remember going to watch the team train ,George miller was manager and had his big red setter type dog on the park too ,but it all didn't end too well for us as a jam sandwich came round and lifted us and put us in the cells ,thought we were going to break into cabin ,not bad for 30 mins after leaving school .
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Thu 8 Jun 22:05

I was Par before I went inside EEP.

On many a 1960s Sunday I made the traditional Scottish hike up to my gran's house for dinner (after Sunday School in these observant days.) Then as evening fell and the women retired to wash the dishes, the men gathered round the coal fire, pushed in the 'damper' and raked over the previous day's events at EEP.

Names like Connachan, Melrose and Dickson were bandied about, salt and pepper pots, ashtrays, were moved across the card table to explain tactics, and mutterings about the dangers of Joe Baker or Ralph Brand made eyebrows furrow. The next Saturday's starting line up was argued about, written down on notepads, and when I joined in with my puerile observations, I was ocassionally indulged.

Then the women returned and the spell was broken, but during these magic moments I felt like some young Red Indian brave listening to the wisdom of ageing warriors, committed to that tribe called The Pars.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sonofpetrie  
Date:   Thu 8 Jun 22:08

"Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV   |

I was brought up as a blue nose. All my dads side were rangers fans. My cousin even bought himself a Rangers kit with the money he got from his first communion.
I was at Ibrox shortly after souness took over at Govan. All around the ground were 50,000 so called football fans singing about a battle that happened in a different country 300 years before. At that exact moment I decided I wouldn't set foot in that $h!t hole again.
Around the same time my youngest sister was dating a pars fan from lochgelly. After going to a couple of games at EEP I was hooked.
Been a pars fan ever since, season ticket holder for last 20 years. "

Is the wee sister in question a cheeky so and so called Evelyn by any chance? ;-)

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Thu 8 Jun 22:53

Pretty simple for me. I moved around a lot growing up and tried to watch my local team wherever I went. When I moved back to Scotland, it was us I went to see.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Mon-pa  
Date:   Thu 8 Jun 23:26

Just loving these stories!

ARTY
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: helensburghpar  
Date:   Thu 8 Jun 23:48

Granddad was a home and away Pars fan as was my Dad. Both used to take me when I was young and I was a regular at away games by the time I was 12. Growing up in Wellwood at the time most of the people I hung around with were all Dunfermline fans. My brother goes home and away and my daughter, despite living in Glasgow goes to a few games.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Big T Par  
Date:   Thu 8 Jun 23:51

My old man is from Dunfermline and a life long Par, and took me to see The Pars when I was a lad.

I come from Tranent and the amount of abuse and ridicule I used to get at school, from Hibbys and Jambos, was unreal. But I stuck to my black and white guns and ignored the bawbags.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Thu 8 Jun 23:55

Incredible stories , inspiring ,heart wrenching,there is a book in this ,please

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Johan_Cruyff  
Date:   Fri 9 Jun 07:09

My dad took me to my first game the 5-1 Kozma vs St Mirren game and I thought i'd just seen the best team and player in the world, ever..... I had the bug.

My dad took me to every game he could at EEP and when I was 14 he got me a season ticket with my mates and I abandoned the old man for 90mins so I could stand at the cage.

Saturday's were always footie day for me and him, game in the morning for me then off to McD's for lunch, the Millers for his pre-match pint and then the walk through the transy to EEP for the game. I dont think I ever really can convey to him how grateful I am for those times...

I know he was disappointed when I started playing Saturday afternoons and stopped going to EEP as much

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 9 Jun 09:20

What a great thread for the close season. Some excellent posts , great reading and I agree there could be a good book in there. I'm beginning to think Sammer should write it. He has a similar style to a Hugh McIlvanney, or a Bob Crampsey.

Heartening to hear the OP say that meeting two Pars legends, was fundamental to him becoming a Par, something the Schools Engagement team very much believe in, as SP highlights further up.

For my part, my family were not into football, so I went to my first game with a family friend in 1963 A 4-0 win over St Johnstone and I was hooked. I'm a bit jealous of JC above, have to admit his first game topped mine by some distance, even if it seemed great at the time.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: mach1  
Date:   Fri 9 Jun 09:47

Being a young lad in Inverkeithing, I saw the usual Saturday departure of fan buses at least one each for Celtic or Rangers. There were even two gangs of Teddy Boys, who became known as the blue jackets and the green jackets, because of their dress apparel.

I was determined not to fall into that trap and though my old man was a Hearts fan and I knew a few contemporaries who crossed the Forth to see them, I did not want to do that either.

Fortuitously, Jock Stein took over at East End, saved the Pars from relegation and won the Scottish Cup the following year.
The decision was made and what a near decade that turned out to be.

Since then I have always followed the Pars and while their form and achievements rarely again reached the heights of back then, there have been memorable moments as well.

I like to think my liking for the Pars has rubbed off on a daughter and a grandson, with the grandson and one of his friends being season ticket holders for years now as well.

Roll on future generations.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Fri 9 Jun 10:37

Quote:

mach1, Fri 9 Jun 09:47

Being a young lad in Inverkeithing, I saw the usual Saturday departure of fan buses at least one each for Celtic or Rangers. There were even two gangs of Teddy Boys, who became known as the blue jackets and the green jackets, because of their dress apparel.

I was determined not to fall into that trap and though my old man was a Hearts fan and I knew a few contemporaries who crossed the Forth to see them, I did not want to do that either.

Fortuitously, Jock Stein took over at East End, saved the Pars from relegation and won the Scottish Cup the following year.
The decision was made and what a near decade that turned out to be.

Since then I have always followed the Pars and while their form and achievements rarely again reached the heights of back then, there have been memorable moments as well.

I like to think my liking for the Pars has rubbed off on a daughter and a grandson, with the grandson and one of his friends being season ticket holders for years now as well.

Roll on future generations.

How long you been n Inverkeithing Mach1
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Jun 10:50

Wow. Some really great stories on here, and i've really enjoyed reading them. I think it's superb that there are so many different reasons why people began to support our great club.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Jun 11:38

I'm not in Inverkeithing now RA, in fact I moved when I was 21.

I still make the odd nostalgic trip to see the old stomping ground and still have some relatives who live there, or whisper it lol, Rosyth.

It's changed a lot like most places, Wards shipbreaking yard gone (still a scrapyard), Caldwell's paper mill gone, a couple of pubs and the ex-servicemens' club gone.
Of course the Dockyard is greatly reduced and the base at Donibristle now Dalgety Bay is long gone, so a lot of the old atmosphere has changed.

I try to go most years for the Llamas Fair weekend and for the highland games day in August. Often to meet up with my sister and her hubby amonst others.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Fri 9 Jun 12:57

Quote:

mach1, Fri 9 Jun 11:38

I'm not in Inverkeithing now RA, in fact I moved when I was 21.

I still make the odd nostalgic trip to see the old stomping ground and still have some relatives who live there, or whisper it lol, Rosyth.

It's changed a lot like most places, Wards shipbreaking yard gone (still a scrapyard), Caldwell's paper mill gone, a couple of pubs and the ex-servicemens' club gone.
Of course the Dockyard is greatly reduced and the base at Donibristle now Dalgety Bay is long gone, so a lot of the old atmosphere has changed.

I try to go most years for the Llamas Fair weekend and for the highland games day in August. Often to meet up with my sister and her hubby amonst others.

Im born and Bred in Inverkeithing staying across from the papermill .Hamilton Terrace .
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Fri 9 Jun 13:26

Mither washed the strips
Faither collected the gate money
Brother once sat on Billy McNeill's knee

Born with B&W blood - West Fife Hospital November 9th 1968 - I was next in line for the mighty Paaaaars 🤗
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Jun 14:24

You must have had a few kickabouts on the Ballast Bank then RA.

I lived in Fraser Avenue, when they were brand spanking new houses and sometimes walked down from the old school, taking the long route by the football pitch.

Old memories.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Jun 14:32

Faither (who is fast approaching 72) became an orphan at 5 years old. Came from a family of 9 in Kelty. He was brought up by his sister and brother in law who lived in Dunfermline. Now here's where it gets interesting. His brother in law used to do all the things a surrogate father would do, probably more than his own dad ever did to be quite frank. Fishing, baking, walks etc.......and football. He was taken to 2 places when he was a laddie and given the choice. Ground number 1 was
....well identical to how it is today. A downbeat hole of a stage for football. I give you central park folks.

The 2nd ground was a glowing beacon of all that is holy, pure and good about football....East End Park. Needless to say that even as a youngster he knew straight away. 67 years later you will still find the moaning old bugger sitting in the Norrie. Waxing lyrical about Sir Roy Barry, Sir Alex Edwards and Sir Alec Smith. I always notice the tint of his spectacles turn a distinct rose colour as he walks in to East end....the way mine probably do as I tell my boy of 7 about Isvtvan Kozma, Jim "ziggy" Bowie and Norrie.

I s'pose I haven't really told my story there....more my dad's. To be honest tho there was never any doubt who my team would be. It's the place where we can sit and talk about everything and nothing all at the same time for 90 minutes.....its home and always will be.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Jun 14:43

Quote:

sonofpetrie, Thu 8 Jun 22:08

Is the wee sister in question a cheeky so and so called Evelyn by any chance? ;-)

Ooooooooh so close. Right family wrong sister. 👍👍👍

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DAve..FC  
Date:   Fri 9 Jun 16:26

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Fri 9 Jun 16:41

Wasn't lucky enough to go to games with my dad because he was ill from when I was 7 until he died when I was 15 but I first went to EEP aged about 7 with an older pal. My earliest memory of a game was of the crowds walking up through the park to John Lunn's testimonial.
By about 10 I was going to every home game and even went up to watch training at nights when Harry Melrose was in charge. I can still remember playing snooker with Kenny Thomson and other players.
By secondary school age I was going to away games, firstly on the Kelty bus (don't know what my mum was thinking!).
These days I take my 3 kids aged 5,12 & 13 and thoroughly enjoy it still. Just renewed our season tickets last weekend.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Jun 20:45

Quote:

sonofpetrie, Thu 8 Jun 22:08

Ooooooooh so close. Right family wrong sister. 👍👍👍"

Dammit. I only know Evelyn. She's a wee diamond. :-)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: loPAR  
Date:   Fri 9 Jun 21:40

My dad used to sell 50/50 tickets in the mid 90s and started bringing me along when I was 5. Was mascot for a game against Aberdeen (Think it was 96) that finished 0-0. Since then go to as many games as possible but work most Saturdays.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Jun 08:18

Quote:

buffy, Fri 9 Jun 13:26
Born with B&W blood - West Fife Hospital November 9th 1968 - I was next in line for the mighty Paaaaars 🤗

Jesus. You're ancient Buff. Glad I'm no as auld as you 😉😗😗

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsdaft  
Date:   Sat 10 Jun 11:24

It was my destiny
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Sat 10 Jun 12:36

I am a Glory Hunter.

When I was a little boy,happy living in Malta,my Uncle contacted us to say Dunfermline had won the Cup in 1961.

When I eventually returned to Rosyth he took me to a game.

27th April 1968 was just about the happiest day of my life!!

I see PAR57 also has the Maltese background.

Post Edited (Sat 10 Jun 12:39)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Jun 13:20

Quote:

sonofpetrie, Fri 9 Jun 20:45

C'mon then. You beat me😣

Who are you ?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: BlackLight  
Date:   Sat 10 Jun 16:39

Sneaked into my first game in 1989 using a dummy page from my brother's season ticket. Never looked back.

Like OP my first taste hooked me.

The club must do everything it can to hook kids at a young age.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Jun 16:39

Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV   |
Date:   Sat 10 Jun 13:20

Quote:

sonofpetrie, Fri 9 Jun 20:45

C'mon then. You beat me😣

Who are you ?

Haha. I work for the council, spent many an afternoon having a laugh with your sister at Torbain. Ask her about Paul from the Valley :-)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: shrek par  
Date:   Sat 10 Jun 19:08

I blame widtink, used to be a season ticket toting hun , started going with him and other mates in 85 and gave up on the gers because the atmosphere in the corner thats now open was much better than the centenary stand at ibrox. I think it was the fact every victory was hard won rather than expected. For some bizarre reason used to love watching ivo , norrie and westy best. Later it was andy smith and then brewster. The Paton years were my favourite, never give up ,**** or bust attitude. Still hate airdrie and falkirk too.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jun 00:49

I will see her at my mums tomorrow Paul.
I can't believe cooncil workers have time to sit aboot.🤗

Shrek, 85 was just before I started going , as I said earlier, I too frequented Ibrox most weekends. Within a game or 2 at EEP I was hooked. I don't know what it was about DAFC, but still to this day I get a shiver walking up to the ground.

I agree that going to games HOPING to get a result was a lot better than going to watch Rangers and demanding a win.

Most pars fans could tell you thier favourite Dunfermline side, But I have yet to meet a Dunfermline fan that says they did not enjoy football under sir Bert.

C⚽Y🏁

Post Edited (Sun 11 Jun 00:50)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bobopar  
Date:   Sun 11 Jun 07:41

My Grandad was a big Pars Fan and had a lot of memorabilia from the 61 cup final and mum and dad were at the replay, we lived in Perthshire but moved back down to Fife in 1973. John Lunn testimonial was my first game at East End although my dad took me to a few Cowden games before that as they were his team of choice. First game I went to with my good friend Graham Primrose was the Aberdeen cup game round about 1975, Joe Harper scored in a 1 nil win to them. Roddy Georgeson had a perfectly good goal chalked off for the Pars, think I got hooked on the injustice of it. Been going ever since although pick and choose games now. Had a 5 year spell between 1981 and 86 where I went to every game home and away on the fabled Pitbauchlie bus. Big Jock, wee Jim and the chairman were like brothers to me then. Happy days..
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: davidpars1885  
Date:   Sun 11 Jun 15:17

local team and bert paton is my uncle.

We are the loyal, Dunfermline loyal
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jun 15:28

Would anyone have any objections to their posts being used in the Pars Programme ? It might mean giving your email for Alan to get in touch to confirm

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jun 15:33

No problem if wanted.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jun 15:59

Likewise

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars11  
Date:   Sun 11 Jun 16:20

Okay with request, a good write up reflecting on the quotes may provide a better read.

Bluebell Polka
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Sun 11 Jun 16:42

Quote:

dave67, Sun 11 Jun 15:28

Would anyone have any objections to their posts being used in the Pars Programme ? It might mean giving your email for Alan to get in touch to confirm

Not at all....I have some good stories from my grandad Jackie and uncle Joe...

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: auldpar  
Date:   Sun 11 Jun 16:45

Thanks so far guys. I've still to hear back from the editor and if he's OK with it there will be a few things to agree on e.g. do you want your real names used or your .net ID and of course I would be trying to ensure everyone is happy with whatever the final version will look like.

As soon as I have any more info I'll let you know.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: maltapar  
Date:   Sun 11 Jun 17:03

I blame Sliema par - stories of wonderful European nights and I did get to see us win the cup in 1968 and some of the later European matches with the great Pars side of that era.

However, I have then suffered with the decline of the Pars and even during the successful periods witnessed three cup final defeats to Celtic of which the 2005/06 hurt most with the penalty that was never awarded.

Maybe I should sue Sliema par for the psychological damage I have suffered from this addiction over the years?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jun 17:43

Quote:

maltapar, Sun 11 Jun 17:03

However, I have then suffered with the decline of the Pars and even during the successful periods witnessed three cup final defeats to Celtic of which the 2005/06 hurt most with the penalty that was never awarded.

Your memory's playing tricks on you, Malta - that's the 2004 final you're thinking about. Our next SC final appearance was in 2007.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jun 17:45

Quote:

dave67, Sun 11 Jun 15:28

Might be easier to ask who doesn't want their contribution to be used.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Sun 11 Jun 18:30

I think my story is the most boring one on here but in the unlikely event anyone wanted to quote or use it I wouldn't mind either.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jun 18:49

You could be right GG

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Jun 20:20

dave67, like everyone else I would have no problem with that.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ianbd6  
Date:   Sun 11 Jun 20:57

I was born in dunfermline but raised in bradford we lived a couple of streets from valley parade and i used to go to the games there with my uncle and when we moved to south bradford he took me to bradford (park avenue )as well but it was listening to my father and uncle talk about the pars.i moved back to dunfermline in the summer of 1977. the first place i headed for was east end park the the big gates were open so i went in it was love at first sight i followed the team for about three seasons before moving back down to bradford i have watched football in about 250 grounds and eep is the one i feel most at home in its also the only ground me and my father ever watched a game together it was a fife cup final between the pars and east fife we won 2-0 iirc i very rarely get up but when i do i always head for eep even if there isnt a game on.i think i am a par because of destiny.
Ian
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sticky Par  
Date:   Sun 11 Jun 21:28

Written in the stars!

Sticky Par
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Angus_W  
Date:   Sun 11 Jun 21:48

My childhood was good - No complaints - It's was late 60's early 70's - Hybrid family.

My Dad supported the Pars, so did my mum - They separated.

My stepdad supported the Pars but had a soft spot for the Rovers, my step brothers supported the Pars.

I'm older now but throughout the one constant in life has been the Pars.....

I still get a shiver up my spine when the team runs out.

They are my safety blanket in life.

“.........it ain’t over till the Pars score!”
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: onlytakes  
Date:   Sun 11 Jun 21:53

My Dad supports the Pars (albeit with a soft spot for our lesser cousins in Cowdenbeath). My best pal when I was wee was a Par so I ended up being one too. Remember Norrie coming round the school in P6 and getting his autograph. Was a good time to be a Par as the following season (95/96) we went up after that nailbiting finale. Remember going to a summer-scheme at the Carnegie and there was this lad who was a Dundee Utd supporter. Even 21-22 years later I still consider him to be a word that cannot be said on this family forum. He was though and it made me have a strong dislike for Dundee Utd to this day (other things have since contributed to me disliking them).
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: donj  
Date:   Mon 12 Jun 00:31

Moved to Dalgety Bay and switched from East Fife to Pars.Weird bit is my younger brother who still stays in Methil actually switched other way.And to compound it my son is a Rovers fan.

Ok we are a strange family I suppose.:)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: rossmcno1  
Date:   Mon 12 Jun 00:51

My dad (former StMirren/Renfrew juniors fan) moved to Rosyth with dockyard and when I was 7 was dragged along to East End. QOS at home, 1-0 to go into the premier league. I was hooked.

In a similar vein I took my nephew to his first game last season when we won the league against Brechin, but it's not quite been in his blood yet. Hoping this season will be the one where it really takes off as he enjoyed the last couple of games.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: calpar  
Date:   Mon 12 Jun 01:28

My family is originally from Dundee.
Until the age of approx 14, i was variably forced/coerced to go watch Dundee FC home AND AWAY
I found my own voice, and EEP was fairly easier accessible, especially around 1982, good times, the rest is extremely enjoyable, Threave being 1 particular highlight 👍
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net