DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Classic James O’Brien
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 21:48

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/live-fact-check-claim-scotland-eu-trade-brexit/

Oh poor David from Glasgow.......
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Classic James O’Brien
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 21:59

Click here
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: donj  
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 22:12

Obviously the Daily Mail or Express gave him a figure he automatically believed as gospel as they never lie.I read lots and google at least can give me answers if I'm not sure if it's right.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Captain Desmond Fancey  
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 22:24

Classic isn't a word I would ever use to describe that drunken bore.

Far more entertainment on talk radio at the same time with Mike Graham.

The good old days
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 22:40

The issue is that too many people don't query things issued by the media. Many people just read headlines and not the stories. The media controls this country. It's all a big game. They'll condition people to vote for the party that suits them or publish the stories they know will sell papers. Who cares if it's nonsense when they can print a retraction in size 8 font under an advert for Jet2 holidays?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Fri 5 Jul 08:13

The Metro, commuters daily brainwashing staple, a version of the Dandy for the gullible.

Post Edited (Fri 05 Jul 08:14)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 5 Jul 08:30

It always amuses me when I hear people claiming that this form or that form of media is brainwashing the gullible as if they are somehow above it all.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Fri 5 Jul 13:24

It always amuses me when I hear people claiming that this form or that form of media is brainwashing the gullible as if they are somehow above it all.

Being aware of it doesn't make you immune to it, but it certainly helps don't you think?
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Fri 5 Jul 13:33

Yes but what is to say you haven't been conditioned to believe that the the media or that certain branches of the media are biased? The fact that many on both sides of the political spectrum as well as those in the centre all think the BBC is slanted against them speaks volumes to me. I'm also well aware that maybe I'm looking at things less than objectively. It's actually very difficult to take a step back from yourself and look at what influences your own actions and opinions.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 5 Jul 13:54

Well it's not too difficult to work out the motivation of media outlets, and their motivation will help to inform you of their biases.

To use your example: the BBC is motivated by protecting its government grant from the licence fee. And if you think about it that way then all the biases which are commonly reported make perfect sense: anti-brexit, ant-indie, pro-royalty etc - they all reflect the priorities of those who decide whether or not to renew the BBC's charter and continue paying them. They are a state owned media outlet and they behave exactly like one - we can see it in Russia Today but not in the BBC for some reason.

Each media outlet can be similarly assessed and if you consume their output with that in mind then it will help you to better interpret the message being presented. Obviously you won't be immune to insidious influences from the media but you'll maybe be more aware of them and able to correct for them.

And you are right - each of us has to be careful because mass media can inject all sorts of messed up stuff into our heads, including trying to convince us that other mass media is entirely fake and that you should only listen to them. The notion that "all media is biased except us" is prevalent and fairly telling.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Fri 5 Jul 13:57

Fact is, if you're getting your news info from only 1 or 2 sources you're likely being misled or following biased information.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 5 Jul 14:32

Sticking with the BBC then it's interesting that you think they are anti brexit as I have heard and read many people think the exact opposite. If they want to protect their government grant then maybe they should be pro brexit as it would certainly curry favour with large parts of the governing party.
I tend to think the BBC tries it's best to be impartial but often, especially in its more lighter shows, has a left leaning liberals bias which I attribute to where it draws most of its employees from.
I guess the point I was making is the well used cliche that people aren't influenced by the media, it's the people that influence the media. The Fox News and Guardians and Telegraphs and Huffingtons of the media world influence nobody. People that hold views espoused by those outlets seek out the aforementioned titles precisely because they reflect their own views. It's a form of comfort I guess.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Fri 5 Jul 14:37

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Fri 5 Jul 14:32

I tend to think the BBC tries it's best to be impartial but often, especially in its more lighter shows, has a left leaning liberals bias which I attribute to where it draws most of its employees from.

To be fair, I think lighter shows like panel and comedies are definitely more a central or left type product. A right wing political comedy show sounds like utter car crash material.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 5 Jul 14:46

I was referring more to the news output than the entertainment output, but you are right in saying that there is a definite liberal-left bias to those and, as you point out, this is probably due to the views of creative types being predominantly liberal.

As for people choosing the media outlet that best reflects their views: I agree, however nobody has an opinion on everything, for starters nobody knows about everything, so it seems to me that restricting yourself to one or a few outlets will still have a huge influence. And that's before we even get into the way in which media outlets control the agenda, so you're only actually being told about a selection of what's going on and, again, this can be quite telling.

I have never seen the BBC accused of pro-brexit bias, but I'd not doubt that some folk will have seen it.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net