DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Automation
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Mon 23 Sep 13:59

You'd have to be blind not to notice that lots of jobs are disappearing or about to disappear as a result of technologies which can do them cheaper than people.

It's nothing new, but there's about to be a huge revolution in transportation as self-driving vehicles start to become a reality, and the machine-learning advances it has brought start to be implemented in other areas of life, we are bout to reach a point where "driver" will be a career of the past - like lamplighter or cinema cigarette seller.

How does society prepare for this?

Will there be enough meaning full work to go around? If not, how do we divide the resources now that we don't compete for them by selling our skills and/or labour?

Do we just keep going and only provide resources for the folk who own the robot car makers? Wouldn't that result in there being no customers for robot cars? Henry Ford knew that he had to create customers as well as cars.

Where I'm going here is we are about to be in a position to trade in some of the investment we have made and reduce our working week. The leisure industries would boom and people would be less stressed.

I've gone from working around 60hrs per week over six days to half that over four and I am infinitely happier.

A guaranteed minimum income could be implemented to make up any shortfall from the four day week.

Of course this would only work if the increasingly profitable megacorps actually paid their tax...
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Automation
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Mon 23 Sep 14:06

Capitalist society will never allow for the things like universal basic income. The concept that we are still expected to all work full time or earn pennies when as you've said, automation has increased productivity through the roof is mental. There needs to be a cultural revolution or things will never change and unemployment will skyrocket
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Mon 23 Sep 14:11

Quote:

Andrew283, Mon 23 Sep 14:06

Capitalist society will never allow for the things like universal basic income. The concept that we are still expected to all work full time or earn pennies when as you've said, automation has increased productivity through the roof is mental. There needs to be a cultural revolution or things will never change and unemployment will skyrocket

It certainly feels like there could be a gap for a law enforcer who has a motorcycle and takes no **** (not TJ Hooker)......I cant see the monied giving it all up. That being said, I think that automation, machine learning, ai big data stuff is a bit over egged just now.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Mon 23 Sep 14:31

We're all getting deaded terminator stylee once AI kicks in.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Mon 23 Sep 15:26

Is there not actually a British company called Skynet? Hahaha
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Mon 23 Sep 17:52

A shipping company I think!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Mon 23 Sep 19:21

I saw a Microsoft video about AI at a conference last week. The main thrust of it seemed to be that AI will allow you to work even longer hours while it does some of the other stuff, like drive you home.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 23 Sep 20:12

Remember when they said the computers would give everyone lots of leisure time? Same with automation. In most cases people are still working on the automation processes.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Mon 23 Sep 20:33

They could get a robot to read the news on BBC, totally pan faced reading the government propoganda. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net