DAFC.net
Home 20 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Bit Worrying
Topic Originator: donj  
Date:   Thu 24 Oct 20:52

Both sides say that violence is acceptable.Not good really.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/oct/24/majority-of-voters-think-violence-against-mps-is-price-worth-paying-for-brexit

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Bit Worrying
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Thu 24 Oct 20:57

Mind boggling that the UK is so full of hostiles. Mind you, those figures are just how many of those who voted in the Referendum would support violence. There are no figures for non-voters. We can at least imagine they might be a more peacable lot.

Post Edited (Thu 24 Oct 21:04)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parbucks  
Date:   Thu 24 Oct 21:07

Why are most of the quotes on here from the Guardian?

Is it because of the recent study on Google searches that shows the first hits to be from the Guardian, the Independent and the BBC which are all anti Brexit?

Takes a while to trawl through Google to find media reports that support Brexit.
Just try it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Thu 24 Oct 21:09

Is it because the capitalists have shoved their content behind a pay wall?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Thu 24 Oct 21:13

The poll is a good guide why never to ask the people what they want in a referendum. They are all over the place.

We don’t mind being poorer.
We don’t mind if our industries are destroyed.
In order for Britain to be ‘great’ again we don’t mind losing Northern Ireland and Scotland so that Britain ceases to exist.
We want control back at Westminster- where 70% of us demand the right for MPs to be physically attacked in the name of democracy.

Of course once they were poorer, or lost jobs in industry, they would quickly turn on those who had been idiotic enough to listen to them in the first place.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 24 Oct 22:13

Very good post Sammer.

Only nit-picking but I think it'd be the UK that's destroyed if NI and Scotland were lost from it. And it's not 70% (-ish) of the population but of Referendum voters. (We don't know how many of non-voters).

I agree with your sentiments.

This next bit is not me trying to provoke argument as it's all been said and we've chosen our ground. I'm just thinking aloud. (It's a soliloquay: 'an act of speaking one's thoughts aloud when by oneself or regardless of any hearers' )

How could I, for example, not being all that well up on inter UK - EU affairs (and yet with above average educational qualifications) ever have been qualified to decide if the UK should leave or remain? How could most other voters be qualified to make that decision?

Was it all about Abu-Qatada and anti-immigration? i.e. anti-Hague and racist, or discriminatory, sentiments?

Can anyone say for certain that we, the people in my everyday world - ordinary citizens - will be better off if our government makes it's own trade deals? (Isn't that all speculation, or even bluff on the part of Farage et al?)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parbucks  
Date:   Thu 24 Oct 22:19

Onandup

Fair comments.

Question:
What makes you think any MP knows more than the average voter?

They ALL have vested interests regardless of party.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 24 Oct 22:33

I do think they know more than the average voter, Parbucks. At least they sit in on HOC debates and get copies of white papers and bills and other info and I imagine there might be an HOC library they have access to. I think they would read up quite a bit on it. They need to be informed to a greater extent than us otherwise they wouldn't be able to put questions in the house or criticise what other Members say.

I think they are better informed than average voters. As for vested interests, got to think about that more,
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Thu 24 Oct 22:45

Vested interests: the first thing I imagine is an industrial-sized 'can of worms!'
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net