DAFC.net
Home 29 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Next Labour Leader
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Mon 13 Jan 18:46

It'll be one of Keir Starmer, Jess Phillips, Emily Thornberry or Rebecca Long Bailey.
I don't have a vote but the one I have most been impressed with over the last couple of years is Lisa Nandy.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Next Labour Leader
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 13 Jan 18:53

Expect Keir Starmer. Wrong-Daily is too much like Corbyn. Key to politics is saying what people want to hear and then doing what's sensible. She's all "let's bin the Lord's and burn down the banks".
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 13 Jan 21:31

Wrong-Daily!!! Brilliant, hadn't heard that one yet. 🤣

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 13 Jan 21:31

Wrong-Daily!!! Brilliant, hadn't heard that one yet. 🤣

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Tue 14 Jan 18:56

The five candidates can be split into two generational groups: the three aged about 40 and then the two kicking on for 60.

The three young females were selected as potential MPs from all women short lists which may be an issue that comes back to haunt them if they ever became leader. Long-Bailey seems to have her heart in the right place but suffers from being seen as the continuity Corbyn candidate. Jess Phillips is a rent-a- gob feminist that has threatened to resign from the Labour Party on a number of occasions and is clearly unsuited to high office. Her simplistic world view appears to be that all the world’s problems are due to either ‘Toxic Patriarchy’ or Jeremy Corbyn. Lisa Tandy has said some thoughtful things about the future of the Labour Party in northern England and comes across as someone the electorate might actually quite like. However I am not confident any of them could take the non-stop assault on their character and motives from the febrile UK media that comes as part and parcel of being Labour leader. As a confirmed Israeli supporter, hence likely to support any military intervention, Phillips might suffer less than the other two, but her erratic behaviour would sooner or later see her crucified by the tabloids.

Emily Thornberry is loathed by the tabloids since she is a wealthy woman who voices support for those lower down the economic ladder. To the Piers Morgans of this world such a baffling attitude is close to class treachery, but since he can’t come out and actually say this, instead has to claim she is a hypocrite. Even worse in his book, Thornberry refuses to listen to the true fascist voice of the little Englander with three St. George Cross flags in his camper van, clear evidence she is part of the liberal elite. So, she is open to populist attack although pretty thick skinned from what I can make out.

Keir Starmer seems the most likely winner. He can appeal to both wings of the Labour Party and as an Oxbridge lawyer is seen as part of the gang who run the UK, offering him some protection against daily vitriol. He was also previously Director of Public Prosecutions so that should reassure the law and order elements which oppose him. Although he has made some leftist noises, the suspicion is he will follow Harold Wilson and Neil Kinnock down the road to the right once in power which is acceptable to the Establishment. Most importantly maybe, in this visual age, Starmer actually looks like he might be able to win an election and become PM.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: aaaaaaaaaargh  
Date:   Wed 15 Jan 17:17

I think Starmer with Nandy as deputy leader would be good result for the Labour party and might actually make them electable in England.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Wed 15 Jan 19:16

I suppose it depends on whether or not Labour wants to endorse the current political situation or try to make it better going forward.

Sure Starmer and Nandy will appeal on current terms, but are the current terms the most healthy way in which we could be "doing politics" in this country?

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Wed 15 Jan 22:00

10 Steps to be Labour Leader.

1. Do NOT join the Labour Party as teenager. It makes you look odd.

2. Go to Oxbridge. Only one Labour PM was ever elected who did not go there, so it seems a good idea.

3. At University join a Trotskyite group and make speeches about overthrowing capitalism.

4. Take a gap year in the USA undertaking some worthy cause like feeding the poor in inner city areas. The CIA will be keeping tabs, so make sure you say things like: ‘The Americans have a different way of doing things but it works.’ You are now an Atlanticist and can be trusted with the nuclear button.

5. The hard part. Join the Labour Party and attend boring meetings while being all things to all people. You will be elected to the regional council and eventually be put forward as a potential MP.

6. Once the Labour Party has inevitably lost another election start claiming you have a vision: third way, neither left nor right, neo-marxist/corporate alliance sort of thing. You will at least now be an MP.

7. Threaten to leave the Labour Party over some petty issue such as genderisim or the environment or anti-Semitism to stake out some territory. You are now in the tabloids.

8. When the leader is deposed, exaggerate the scale of his defeat and claim you are the person to heal the wounds by listening to the people.

9. Once elected Labour leader, never be so foolish as to listen to the people ever again.

10. If elected PM, do not on any account try to change things. Just keep them as they are, be acclaimed as a great statesman and move to the House of Lords.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net