DAFC.net
Home 26 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Fife Council - utterly inept?
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 14 Jan 19:35

Saw that, after allocating the majority of the town centre funding to Kirkcaldy (Kirkcaldy received 5x the funding allocated to Dunfermline) due to having lots of "shovel ready" projects, it now turns out they've spraffed a quarter of the cash on the Adam Smith Theatre on the basis they had run out of time to spend the cash on anything else!

I'm all for cultural spending but the real issue in Kirkcaldy is lack of diversity on the high street. Last time I was there it was a depressing sight when so many closed shops. Fife Council already spent millions repaving Kirkcaldy High Street (don't worry, they treated Dunfermline just as equally and gave us some tarmac to fill the holes on the High Street...). They're now throwing another couple of million on the esplanade...which I'm fairly sure already had money spent on it in the past few years.

Does anyone work for Fife Council? Do they still have an economic development team?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Fife Council - utterly inept?
Topic Originator: dafc  
Date:   Tue 14 Jan 20:42

There's an economic development team at fife council, go online and send them an email and ask for explanation. You can also request FOIs on any information also.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 14 Jan 21:03

Good to know. Not sure an FOI asking if any of them live in Fife or ever venture into the town centres will be answered! Worth a shot.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Tue 14 Jan 23:07

The next big news will be nursery provisions.
Parents are now entitled to 1140 hours a year.one option is to go for 2 and a half days a week so 8-6 on 2 days and 8-12.48 the other, this option is only available in Dunfermline at “Halbeath new build”. The problem being having driven past last week there is no sign of any building.
You can imagine an already strained budget was crippled by the fire at Woodmill.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Jan 08:03

Well aware of that one Westie. My understanding is it's one of the few offering an 8-6 slot. We had thought about putting in for it and swapping from the private nursery we use but I wasn't aware of them even breaking ground. Add in that it'll be a brand new nursery so no details on whether it's any good or not.

Nursery provision issues are more a government issue but certainly in Dunfermline the provision of nursery places seems laughable.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Wed 15 Jan 09:53

Can you blame them?
Look at who/where a lit of the money in Dunfermline went to.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Wed 15 Jan 11:43

Quote:

Rastapari, Wed 15 Jan 09:53

Can you blame them?

Something something Stairway to...nowhere?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Jan 13:10

The stairway was paid for by Tesco. There was supposed to be more but I think the reaction to the first piece killed the project off.

FC will say they spend where money is required rather than allocate by population but they do tend to spend a lot of money in Kirkcaldy. Most improvements in Dunfermline have either been from private individuals or through community groups. The exception is probably the Museum and Gallery (half funded by Lottery).
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Wed 15 Jan 14:57

Quote:

Andrew283, Wed 15 Jan 11:43

Quote:

Rastapari, Wed 15 Jan 09:53

Can you blame them?

Something something Stairway to...nowhere?

Hmmmm I'm more thinking 400 k to a cafe....

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Saltire  
Date:   Wed 15 Jan 16:18

Isa is on the case all will be resolved
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Fri 17 Jan 12:54

It's an absolutely crazy idea that if you don't spend your budget in the financial year you lose it.
About time they look at changing this rule.
As it stands money is squandered on hair brain projects just so they don't lose it.

The first example of this I came across was the reception area in the City Chambers around 20 years ago.
They decided to RIP the whole reception area out and replace it to have wheelchair access behind the counter.
This cost 65K, when you could buy a 3 or 4 bedroom house in Dunfermline for that at the time.
There was one receptionist who was not disabled and was nowhere close to retiring.
Not that long after the whole thing was replaced with what they have now.
But the money "had to be spent"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Fri 17 Jan 14:45

The US armed forces are the absolute worst example of just that. Enough waste to fund an NHS level institution several times over just wasted so next years budget isn't reduced
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Fri 17 Jan 18:31

Departments with budgets (eg R&D) in private businesses do this too. In fact loads of businesses splurge massive amounts on tat just to avoid paying tax.

Charities often spend money more quickly at the end of a funding cycle too, it's the nature of the system we have adopted.

Basically, it's capitalism you should be mad at here not Fife Council.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net