DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 BBC Question Time
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Sat 22 Feb 12:23

Is it not just basically right wing propoganda at this stage?

In the most recent episode we had the fact-free racist rant from one audience member, which was published all over the BBC social media with no challenge, which most folk know about.

But there was also the audience member who claimed that the EU was responsible for the recent flooding. Again, it went unchallenged.

Question Time is pre recorded and edited for transmission, so isn't it the broadcaster's responsibility to ensure that downright factual inaccuracies either aren't broadcast in the first place or are at least challenged and corrected when they are broadcast? Furthermore, is it not wildly unethical of them to publish the inaccurate and racist rant on their social media?

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: BBC Question Time
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sat 22 Feb 12:37

Could you maybe link to the social media feed Wotsit? It would all depend if they are presenting the comments from the public as fact.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Feb 12:51

Why the need to bicker over stuff at the edges rather than confront the meat of the issue TOWK?

The tweet in question has been widely reported, and widely criticised, so I don't really think it too much to expect that anybody who would seek to enter into a conversation on this topic would have already come across it or would possess the nous to find it themselves: it's not like I'm referring to some fringe conspiracy here - it is one of the hot topics of political debate in the country right now.

Although perhaps that is an indication of the problem?

Maybe my question should be: Do too many people expect to be spoon fed easy to digest political titbits instead of checking for the sources themselves? And with this in mind, is it not dangerous for the BBC to publish these titbits without context in the hope that folk factcheck it themselves, when they know full well that most won't?

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Feb 13:08

Never watched Question Time this week. Don't think I have watched it this year actually. I'm not on twitter but have just now looked at your link to the QT twitter feed and it appears that all the comments relating to the comment from that woman are critical of her and her position. By allowing her to voice her opinion and have it subsequently debated and knocked down a wider audience can be educated no?
I noticed also a comment from someone saying that 12% of the social care workforce is made up of foreign nationals. I suspect that is true but did the BBC fact check that before broadcasting and retweeting her statement?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Feb 13:28

That's not a retweet (check their feed - they don't retweet very often at all, it's a comment by a third party so the BBC didn't broadcast it, Twitter did. The BBC has no control over who comments on their Tweets.

Social media companies' responsibilities in this instance are a different topic than those of a state controlled media company.

There are plenty of supporting comments too - including those who have taken it at face value and use it to reinforce their views. After all, the BBC has more clout and folk have higher expectations of their impartiality than some random on Twitter who disagrees.

Never watched Question Time this week. Don't think I have watched it this year actually.

Why comment at all then?

Your sensible choices were to either go off and find out enough to take part properly, or you could just have ignored this one thread.

Crashing on anyway is really just trolling.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Feb 14:02

Didn't think my comments were all that unreasonable actually.
I thought this was the QT twitter feed but I'm not on twitter and I don't really get it. Apologies for being an idiot.
https://mobile.twitter.com/bbcquestiontime?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Anyway thanks for your kind words and I'll leave you to it.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sat 22 Feb 15:28

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/tv-radio/bbc-question-time-racist-video-immigration-ash-sarkar-twitter-a9349316.html
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Sat 22 Feb 15:47

Vile, Thick woman. Hope if she ever has a medical emergency she doesn't have to wait for a British white person to help her...
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: donj  
Date:   Sat 22 Feb 23:18

We have our share of them here,luckily a bit fewer than down south.Sad people who seem to be brainwashed by the Mail and Express.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Sun 23 Feb 00:04

The clip is only 50 seconds long, but I could only watch 30 seconds of it before having to switch off.

She and her ilk disgust me.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Feb 12:59

The baldy bloke sitting next to her is my new hero though.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: hurricane_jimmy  
Date:   Sun 23 Feb 15:20

An interesting point I've posed both to Tory-leaning Scots an English. The biggest immigrant group in Scotland are English, a large chunk of whom are retirees and come to Scotland because our public services are better and more comprehensive. Is that not health tourism? Are these people not immigrants themselves? Clear case of double standards in my mind.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pacifist  
Date:   Sun 23 Feb 19:31

not that long ago folk like her would still have been hiding under a rock - ridiculous rant and full of factual errors.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Mon 24 Feb 11:48

See FB managed to get her a front row seat, remember the Tw*t with the orange jacket at the Motherwell one last year, bragging about being head hunted to appear on the programme,once again given the best seat in the house to kick the SNP, turned out he was heavily involved in the O O,,,,, Scotland’s got it's share of nutters also
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: donj  
Date:   Mon 24 Feb 12:58

Apparently she is a national front member and a personal friend of Robinson.Exactly the sort of person they like to have ranting on their show.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Feb 13:07

Anybody remember this guy on QT? Skip to 2:20.

https://youtu.be/IKf8d4Y-NlM

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Feb 13:14

https://zelo-street.blogspot.com/2020/02/question-time-ranter-identified.html?m=1
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Feb 16:11

Being reported now that she was transported down to Dorset from London and put up in a local hotel, all courtesy of the BBC.😡
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Feb 16:34

https://twitter.com/BenJolly9/status/1231702798955352064?s=09
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 24 Feb 17:13

https://twitter.com/BenJolly9/status/1231702798955352064?s=09

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 10:48

It's a growing trend in loads of telly... Seem to think that the way to make it interesting and get viewers is to have extreme views, personalities, clashes etc

Used to watch QT religiously but now just avoid because of stuff like this
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 12:47

The person who was (and might still be)in charge of audience selection at BBCQT had to delete all her social media accounts after it was noticed that she had been retweeting and liking Britain First and other neo-fascist organisations.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 15:28

At link to the story that Wotsit is stating.
https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/ourbeeb/is-question-time-s-audience-producer-really-fascist/

The story is over three years old but as far as I can tell she is still working on Question Time as a producer.
Have tried to find some substance about the claim that the ranter had her travel and lodgings paid for by the beeb but can't find anything. Not to say someone else won't.

Post Edited (Tue 25 Feb 15:29)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 18:20

That's where I got it from, thanks for linking it TOWK :)

I'm not sure about the ranter's travel and accommodation being paid either, but I have seen other videos of her spouting the same stuff. She is pretty well known in extreme right circles apparently and is married to a former National Front candidate.

Her name is now all over the internet.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 25 Feb 22:37

Quote:

Wotsit, Tue 25 Feb 18:20

That's where I got it from, thanks for linking it TOWK :)

I'm not sure about the ranter's travel and accommodation being paid either, but I have seen other videos of her spouting the same stuff. She is pretty well known in extreme right circles apparently and is married to a former National Front candidate.

Her name is now all over the internet.

She was a NF candidate herself. If someone could open up my link above it would be appreciated...
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Wed 26 Feb 00:02

Quote:

Tenruh, Mon 24 Feb 13:14

https://zelo-street.blogspot.com/2020/02/question-time-ranter-identified.html?m=1
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 26 Feb 17:25

Quote:

londonparsfan, Wed 26 Feb 00:02

Quote:

Tenruh, Mon 24 Feb 13:14

Cheers LPF
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Wed 26 Feb 19:08

You are very welcome Sir.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net