DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Trident
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Sat 2 May 10:34

Can we justify continue spending the money on a nuclear deterrent when the relative threat of nuclear conflict is so small?

Should the money not be better spent shoring up defences against more pressing threats such as pandemics and natural disasters?

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Trident
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Sat 2 May 10:38

I think this will be part of a forthcoming general review of government expenditure. For sure, defence spending should be top of the list of areas for review.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Sat 2 May 11:16

I can just see those trough snouting politicians who lobby for trident manufacturers and maintainers practically salivating at the thought of losing their cash cow fir a safer more peaceful earth....

Carole Baskin fed Rasta to a tiger.

Post Edited (Tue 05 May 08:48)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Gun Mech par  
Date:   Sun 3 May 10:06

As an ex-submariner that served on all 4 Vanguard class boats I hope its scrapped. Biggest waste of money ever, serves no purpose in a modern society and money is desperately required elsewhere.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Sun 3 May 14:19

Naval expenditure has always been a highly contentious issue. I spent a large chunk of my career in the commercial shipping sector and latterly before my retirement was directly involved in the sale and purchase of several ships around the world.

In the commercial sector, we would look at the value of naval contracts and weep.

Take for instance the contract awarded to the Daewoo shipyard in South Korea by the UK Government for four Tide-class replenishment tankers. The contact, which was just to build the hulls (the topside fit-out was completed in the UK), was initially valued at £450m but came in finally at £550m. That is a hell of an overspend on a relatively uncomplicated build.

A practically identical 40,000 tonne product tanker for the commercial shipping market would today come out of the same shipyard complete and fully fitted out at a cost of less than US$36m (£29m). Something is amiss...
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 May 15:12

My understanding is that there are much more stringent regulations with regard to building and maintaining a naval vessel?

For example the materials have to be made in certain ways by certain pre-vetted companies; the staff have to be security cleared and paid accordingly and so on - all of which adds up.

It's not the cost of individual boats that irks me so much as the UK's need to "project power" - pay extra for well made unsabottaged boats, that's a good thing, but only enough of them to protect our wee island rather than enough to destroy Russia. There's simply no need.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sun 3 May 16:54

Sorry, genuine question, do you mean we only have enough to protect the British Isles or that you would like us to only have enough for that?

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 May 21:04

If we are to call it defence then it should be for defence.

We haven't defended since 1941 - we use our military for attacking other people. Sometimes illegally and without provocation.

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Angus_W  
Date:   Mon 4 May 11:27

Makes you think...........

We are going to spend £205bn on replacing trident. Why?

These weapons are redundant in the modern world.
They can’t fight terrorism.
They can’t protect us from a pandemic.

During the Cold War we were sold “If we don’t have these weapons the Russians will be here next week........”.

Finland is not in NATO - They have a border with Russia - no nukes & no invasion/issues for 75 years.

It’s all BS.

We built this system to protect our country & when the real threat came along it was useless.

Get rid of these weapons & build an effective worldwide reactive pandemic relief team.

“.........it ain’t over till the Pars score!”

Post Edited (Mon 04 May 13:13)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 4 May 18:48

Chemical and electronic are how modern warfare will happen, not silly missiles.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net