DAFC.net
Home 29 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Edinburgh Central - SNP Candidate
Topic Originator: McCaig`s Tower  
Date:   Fri 31 Jul 14:22

An interesting development in the battle for the SNP nomination for the Edinburgh Central seat at Holyrood.

This was lining up to be a battle between Joanna Cherry and Angus Robertson; I think both had expressed an interest (and both alleged to have at least one eye on the leadership).

It seems that various obstacles were being put in the way of Cherry's candidacy (including resigning her Westminster seat and raising money for the resultant by-election). Apparently she has withdrawn her candidacy.

Any thoughts?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Edinburgh Central - SNP Candidate
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 31 Jul 16:15

Cherry is a decisive figure within the party and perhaps felt that by losing any run off with Robertson she'd only be damaging other avenues she maybe has her eye on.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Sat 1 Aug 09:34

I think I am right in saying that AR actually lives in the constituency. JC was elected to the WM seat and should stay there......hopefully not the full term ;

Not a good look for SNP having two big hitters battling for the nomination.

AR is a stick on to win the seat regardless.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: hurricane_jimmy  
Date:   Sun 2 Aug 11:18

Have to admit, I do wonder if this was done deliberately to prevent Cherry going to Holyrood.

Personally, I would rather her as FM than Sturgeon.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: McCaig`s Tower  
Date:   Fri 7 Aug 19:33

Do you mean Cherry is a divisive character or a decisive one, TOWK?

I agree with HJ; having had years to deal with the dual mandate issue, it’s odd that action is taken just as Cherry is about to launch her hat into the ring. There have been whispers for a while of a split in the SNP camp – between the Sturgeon/Murrell/Holyrood axis and the Salmond/Westminster one (with gender identity politics being thrown in for good measure). No-one here seems able or willing to shed any light on this.

Cherry claims that because there is (a little) overlap between this seat and her Westminster one, she is “local”. Robertson went to school in Edinburgh and presumably has been nursing the constituency for a while, in preference to trying to win Moray back. Perhaps Douglas Ross’ Holyrood ambitions may change his mind?

I note former MSP Marco Biagi is also campaigning for the nomination
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Aug 20:17

I'll blame that on predictive text MT, yes a divisive figure.
HJ, if Cherry was ever first minister then you can forget about Scotland ever being independent. Sturgeon is the only person that can deliver that inside the next ten years.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Fri 7 Aug 22:37

Ten years ? If Scotland is not independent in the next two years then it will be too late and welcome to.....Scotlandshire.

If you really care about your country then you will have one last chance. Scottish or British...aka English. Become a normal independent country making decisions for ourselves or giving control of all our resources to a bunch of con men and watching helplessly as WM dismantles devolution.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Aug 22:42

Well if it's only two years then Sturgeon really is the only chance. I'd give her your full and unquestioning backing as it is her or bust if we truly have only two years.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net